"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-07-2016, 02:55 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Back from Camp!

So, back from week camping on Chincoteague Island in VA, and a week catching up at work, so I'm catching up on posts here, and also need to refill my freezer and fridge before I get cookin' for serious again.

Let me tell you it was HOT, like 105 degrees every day and mid 90's at night. If we weren't able to hit the ocean once a day to cool down it would have been miserable.

As a result, I did scrap some of my pre-camp plans for campfire cooking. We at a lot of big cool salads in camp, and did do a crab boil one night ('cause we caught us some crabs, 'natch), but it was tough to motivate to do a good cooking fire, just because it was so darn hot. Lets just say I went through only two bundles of wood the whole week, but three bags of ice a day, that kind of a camping trip... Thank god for good coolers and that I was able to pick up some dry ice before I left to keep the 'freezer' cooler cold enough.

Overall though it was a ton of fun, we were lucky in that I took a chance and took us out hiking in the back area of Assateague Island the day they were rounding up the ponies, instead of waiting with the crowd by the coral. We we happened upon a group of folks with camera stuff and hip waders heading out into the salt marsh, so obviously we followed them. (kind of a bad idea because while Beloved Wife had boots on, I was in sandals, so I ended up standing in a swamp for three hours in sandals, I now definitely have Zitka and probably malaria and yellow fever, but the bugs on the island are well fed!). They were professional photographers, who knew exactly where the saltwater cowboys were going to drive the ponies for the roundup, and we got to see it right up close! Literally right in the middle of it, it was awesome. So did we see ponies, heck yes!

So despite the heat (and man it is tough sometimes to sleep in a tent at night in 90+ weather, we were praying for the slightest breeze), we had a smashing good time.

Unfortunate side effect of the heat, though, we ate out more than we should have(and in our defense it *was* soft shell crab season on the island, I mean who among us can resist soft shell crabs? And the restaurants had air conditioning), so this week we are going to be eating a lot of barley and canned vegetables from earlier in the summer, and not much protein. Until payday on Friday and CSA pickup on Saturday, eating out of the pantry... Fridge is bare, and freezer is almost empty, wallets very empty, but it was worth it for the trip!

Anyone else made a summer trip already? We try to do one big camping trip each summer and a smaller weekend each month. Next thing I'd like to plan is a September weekend up in New York state, and a late fall trip to West Virginia... (I tend to enjoy planning the trips almost as much as going on them).

Anyway, be catching up for the next week.

Cheers!

TBS

Old 08-07-2016, 03:03 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Back from Camp!

Welcome home, Fox! Of course you have to eat out during soft-shell crab season and A/C! Glad you didn't melt! Your swamp trip sounds fun.

I did a week-long road trip through some old stomping grounds a week and a half ago, but I stayed at a hotel and at family and friend's places, they had A/C.

Old 08-07-2016, 03:24 PM   #3
Senior Cook

https://goo.gl/photos/z4AjQnKQceD2Rejt7

I almost forgot, PICTURES! Wife is the pretty one, I'm the one with bug bitten legs, and the ponies are the ones with four feet that aren't llamas.

TBS
Old 08-07-2016, 03:36 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Neato! What an experience!
Old 08-07-2016, 04:38 PM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

The horses are beautiful. Glad you had a good time, even though it was HOT!

Shrek and I are planning a trip to Mt. Rushmore and the Black Hills in a few weeks. No camping, though. Shrek thinks camping means eating breakfast in a restaurant and a shower everyday. Neither one of us can get up off the ground anymore...
Old 08-07-2016, 05:36 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

What a wonderful trip. Except for the camping part My idea of camping is just like Shrek's. But how great to see the pony swim up close.

We just spent a week up in Michigan visiting my in-laws and making freezer meals for my FIL (my MIL is in a nursing home). It was a nice time, although very busy. The temps were in the 80s but dropped into the 60s at night. So refreshing, since that won't happen in Virginia till late September

Thanks for sharing your trip with us
Old 08-07-2016, 06:25 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Back from Camp!

I'm in Shrek's camp too. Find me the closest Marriot.

I slept in a tent on the ground enough several eons ago. The old bones no longer take it anymore.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:38 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1470631083.724838.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	25131
Old 08-08-2016, 01:34 AM   #9
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

ROFL!!
Old 08-08-2016, 03:35 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
The horses are beautiful. Glad you had a good time, even though it was HOT!

Shrek and I are planning a trip to Mt. Rushmore and the Black Hills in a few weeks. No camping, though. Shrek thinks camping means eating breakfast in a restaurant and a shower everyday. Neither one of us can get up off the ground anymore...
Oh how well I know that fact!