Back from NYC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll do some more pictures later

Thanks to geebs and my daughter, who helped me figure out how to post these photos. I'll put some more in the Member Photos place.

Our trip was just great, in spite of it raining ALL THANKSGIVING DAY. Our hotel was only half a block from the parade route (50th and Broadway, for you NY folks in the know), so we had plenty of time to get cold and wet.

Because of a few missed phone calls, bucky and I couldn't meet up until Friday morning when he got off work. He was just finishing a very long stretch and was really tired, but took us over the the Ed Sullivan Theater (also only a block or two from where we were staying in Times Square) and gave us a tour of the Secret Dave Staircase and the actual stage where they broadcast the show. It's much smaller than you would imagine, and I couldn't believe it was the same stage the Beatles performed on when Ed S. was in charge.

Bucky kindly offered to drive us down to the Lower East Side to have breakfast at the famous Katz Deli, but we declined since it was our last day there and daughter had more shopping to do (geebs, don't kill me for not going - next time, I promise).

You all will want to meet the buckster someday. In person he's the same fun loving guy we all know on this board, and full of stories. We both wished we'd had more time to visit, but we were on the lightning tour and he needed some sleep.

In addition to the parade, we got a lot done in our brief stay:

-Mingled with a zillion other tourists up and down Times Square.

-Visited the Top of the Rock (Rockefeller Center) for a magical nighttime view of the lights of the Big Apple.

-Got tickets on Thanksgiving Day for the late afternoon Radio City Music Hall Rockettes Christmas Show

-Watched the ice skating at Rockefeller Center (several times)

-Visited Ground Zero

-Shopped on Fifth Avenue, and toured St. Patrick's Cathedral

NYC is a blast furnace, and we loved every bit of it!

Ah, I should have known geebs would ask this question.

The short answer is - not really. We had an agenda (the parade, shopping, trying to meet up with Bucky), so food was not as important as I thought it would be when I asked in the Road Food Forum for tips. I think that's gonna have to be an agenda for another trip.

However, some things were memorable:

A bowl of roasted butternut squash soup at the Irish pub we had our T-giving "dinner" at. The roasted pork loin I got (average) came with fries instead of the mashed I had ordered. Mashed arrived too late to slather with gravy (and they were skimpy about that).

The singing waiters/waitresses at Ellen's Stardust Diner. The OK meatloaf I had was eclipsed by these folks, all of whom supposedly are in-between-gigs Broadway singers. Kind of weird to have someone who's just busted a gut singing a song from "Rent" asking if you want a refill on your iced tea.

Challah bread french toast at Roxy's Deli on Broadway. Yum, and lots of it.

The luscious-looking pastries at Dean and De Luca's up near the Rockefeller Center. I was good and only got a cup of coffe 'cuz we were on a shopping mission.

mudbug said:
...Challah bread french toast at Roxy's Deli on Broadway. Yum, and lots of it...

We ate at Roxy's last time we were in NYC. Good stuff. Their pastrami sandwiches were mile high!

It was.

We ate a late dinner there after a show. We saw a revival of Saturday Night Fever and ran into Roger Clemens in the theater.

i'll be waiting, tatt.

'bug, i'm gonna hold you to that promise about katz's. and don't forget hh promised a pig roast if we make it down the pike next summer. can't wait.

Back
Top Bottom