"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-14-2007, 09:50 AM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef

Back from Vacation

Our annual pilgrimage to Aruba has sadly come to an end.

Two weeks of perfect weather, good friends and family, great restaurants and no responsibilities has all been replaced by sub-freezing temperatures, 10-hour days of infant care and a Valentine Day snow storm. Yippee!

Not much has changed since our last visit. It was a little quieter and less crowded.

We had a Super Bowl party with about a dozen friends on the 4th. A local jeweler brought his 42Ē wide screen for the game (one of our friends buys a lot of jewelry). We set it up on the deck by the pool. We had wings, poppers, brats, sausages, guacamole, burgers, hot dogs, potato salad and various and sundry beverages.

Cooking at the timeshare is always and adventure. I bring my own knives but the rest is pretty low budget. A rickety old electric stove, thin stainless steel pots and a couple of thin Teflon pans that have warped. The cooking utensils are all flimsy plastic that bend when you try to use them.

We ate in more this year to save some bucks. However, we did visit our favorite restaurant, Hostaria Da Vittorio, a great Italian restaurant that serves the best osso buco with risotto Milanese! We also did a dinner show that was a tenderloin dinner and a Latin musical review.

We celebrated a daughterís birthday at a seafood restaurant, Pinchoís, on a pier with an outdoor table that gave us a birdís eye view of the sunset over the water.

We did the usual walking on the beach, swimming and sunning stuff. Boring to talk about. I read a bunch of cooking magazines (see earlier thread on the outrageous cost of magazines).

So we left Aruba on Sunday, fatter, browner, and more mellow. The mellow is disappearing rather quickly, the brown will last longer but the fat is here to stay.

Iíll post some pics when I can.

Old 02-14-2007, 11:33 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Welcome back Andy!! I know the ending of a wonderful holiday is a major bummer, but I am glad you had a grand time, try to hang on to that mellowness as long as you can!!
We have done some adventurous cooking while camping with some threadbare equipments, but also learned how much we can do with them with a little bit of immagination and enthusiasm, plus local fresh products! Good knives are always handy, but always resist the temptation to guard them with you among your carry-on baggage... I would want you to have your holiday in a planned destination

Now have a sip of pina colada and rekindle the memories, we will be looking forward to get a glimpse of your fab trip in your pics!!

Old 02-14-2007, 11:49 AM   #3
Hospitality Queen

Wonderful to have you back!!!
Old 02-14-2007, 11:52 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Glad to have you back Andy! I'm happy you had a great vacation. Let it live long in your memory.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:08 PM   #5
Master Chef

Sounds like a perfect vacation!!!! I am jealous.

Too bad you had to come home to a lil' noreaster!
Old 02-14-2007, 02:11 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Sorry the wonderful vacation is over but we are so happy to have you back!
Old 02-14-2007, 02:33 PM   #7
Head Chef

Welcome back Andy and I am so happy that you and your family had such a nice vacation.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 04:27 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Sounds perfect!!! There's nothing better the sand and sun IMO. Hope you bask in the sun a little while longer!
Old 02-14-2007, 05:33 PM   #9
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Welcome Back!

Sounds like a great time overall. I hat the "getting back to real life" phase of vacations
Old 02-14-2007, 05:45 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Check out the member photos section. I posted some pics.