Back from vacation with some bad news

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
For those who don't already know, MrsGB and I took our daughter to Disney World for vacation last week. We had an amazing time. Half way through our trip I got a call that my grandpa had passed away. He had just celebrated his 90th birthday last month. He had been battling Alzheimer for the past 3 years and had really gone downhill fast a short while ago. He was an amazing man and I will miss him as much as anyone can be missed.

Disney was great. The weather stunk (high 30's low 40's and 2 days of downpours), but we did the best we could with it. Rachel loved going on rides and even enjoyed the roller coasters. She went on Thunder Mountain twice and would have kept going on it if she could have. Here are a few pictures, but you can see the full series of photos here.

Here are a few of my favorites though...

Attachments

• IMG_0005_1.jpg
    IMG_0005_1.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0009_1.jpg
    IMG_0009_1.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0013_1.jpg
    IMG_0013_1.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 150
sorry to hear about your grandpa; that's always tough. Alzheimer's is a mean thing, so there's no doubt he's in a better place!
Lucky you to go to Disney with your daughter though! She's at the age when it IS a magical place.... and some of the Kid Magic gets to rub off on you. :)
Looks like it was a great time in spite of the weather. :)

I'm saddened by your loss, GB. It's hard to lose someone who has always been part of your life.

It looks like you had a great time at Disney. Thanks for the pics.

Oh GB, I'm so very sorry. I understand all that you've gone through, mom had dementia and it's so hard to lose them to another place. Grandpa is free now and in a beautiful place. It's nice to hear that Rachel had a wonderful time. She is as beautiful as ever..The pictures are great, thanks for sharing.:)
cj

So sorry to hear of the passing of your Grandpa GB. I never knew either of my Granddaddys as they passed away when I was very young...I did have a Great-Grandfather who lived just a little past his 100th birthday...It seems a day never passes that I do not think of him, the wisdom and life lessons he left to me through his real life stories, wise sayings and an exemplary life...I know you have similar experiences with your Grandpa...Cling to those memories, an keep them in your heart...he will be with you always...

Wow!! What a blessed and lucky man you are to have two special women in your life!! Miss GB and Rachel are awesome!! Thanks for sharing the photos of your trip...
It appears everyone had a grand time!!!

so sorry for your loss, GB... no good time for that. (Here's a hug. :))

But it looks like Rachel and her folks had a grand time in the Magic Kingdom.

Sending hugs and prayers your way, GB. Remember that your Grandpa really isn't gone...he'll live in your heart forever. And help Rachel remember her Great-Grandpa. Our kids were turning five when their paternal Grandma died; to this day (they're 29) they can still remember doing specific things with her because we've always relived the memories.

Glad to see you and your two lovely ladies enjoyed The Mouse.:)

Sorry to hear the bad news, please except my condolances. I know what you mean, about the granfather, I miss mine rally bad, and it's been 20 years already.

Thanks Charlie!

The hardest part was telling my daughter. I was very worried that she would be scared that someone else would die so i needed to stress to her how old 90 really is. I started our talk by having her count to 90 then I said that is a really big number huh? She blew my plan by saying no not really :LOL:. In any event, we are all doing very well with it. We printed out some pictures to hang on her wall and we share stories with her when we can. I told her that even though he can't ever answer, he will always listen to her if she want to talk to him. She asked last night how to talk to him so I am sure she is processing some things.

GB, your post made me think back to when my FIL died. My oldest was close to 6 YO. She didn't react much at all when we told her or in the immediate aftermath.

6-7 months later, we were visiting some of my in-laws' old friends and someone commented that God took him because he loved him. In a quiet moment shortly thereafter, my daughter commented that wasn't right because no one loved Grandpa more than she did. It was the only comment she ever made.

Your daughter will surprise you someday with a comment that shows how much she has been thinking about it.

What a touching story Andy!

Yes, I have no doubt she will surprise me. I can see her wheels spinning with all of this.

Kids are resilient and smart in ways that adults can't comprehend because...well, because we've grown up! (Like Andy's story - very touching.) It's good that you're letting Rachel learn of this as it is happening. When DH's Mom died our kids were just turning 5; another family member has two, 7 and 9. Our kids were at the visiting hours with us while the other children were not (in fact, the adult child of the deceased could not deal with being there...but was, mostly). By the time my own Mom died our kids had just graduated HS...and when it was evident that Mom was nearly gone our daughter wanted to be there when Mom passed. (I swear she is a much stronger woman than I could ever be.) Like the other days leading up, I spent the day with Mom...but she hung on until our daughter could be there when it was time for me to leave. A real blessing....

Back
Top Bottom