"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-27-2008, 07:47 PM   #11
Master Chef

I have had my eye on a Mini-Vault over at Tigerdirect.com, love to shop there lots of great stuff and tons of options. I am thinking of one with four drive slots and a DVD burner on it, should do the trick ;)

Old 01-27-2008, 09:55 PM   #12
Executive Chef

I use an external hard drive and then I periodically back up to a DVD. I use smaller flash drives for backing up things I'm currently working on. I think any method that is convenient for you and that you will remember to do regularly is the method to use.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:48 AM   #13
Head Chef

this is what i am getting for my PC. Newegg.com - ENERMAX Glory EB306U Silver Aluminum 3.5" USB 2.0 External Enclosure - Retail
Bare in mind its a enclosure only so you will have to buy a separate IDE drive. I all ready own a 80GB internal 3.5 inch HDD so i juts needed the enclosure. i like this one because it comes with back up software. Another good one is the Western Digital My Book drive with 500GB at a steal of 142$
Newegg.com - Western Digital My Book Essential WDG1U5000N 500GB 7200 RPM USB 2.0 External Hard Drive - Retail
Old 01-28-2008, 06:37 PM   #14
Master Chef

Yea that is a cool drive, Tigerdirect.com has the My Book Premium here:
Western Digital MyBook Premium 500GB 3.5" External Hard Drive - 7200, 16MB, USB 2.0, Firewire 400 WDG1C5000N at TigerDirect.com
For some reason, though, they listed the Essential and Premium at the same price.

But if the only thing you are doing with the drive is backing up your computer, then this is the better bet, a WD Passport drive, more than enough space to back up everything onto your computer and then some, very portable, easy to use and half the price:
Western Digital Black Passport 120GB 2.5" External Hard Drive - 5400, 2MB, USB 2.0 WDXMS1200TN at TigerDirect.com

And if you are curious as to what I was talking about concerning network drives as opposed to the cheaper external drives, take a look at this:
Western Digital MyBook World Edition II 1TB Network Attached Storage (NAS) WDG2NC10000N at TigerDirect.com

Anytime you have two or more computers hooked to a router (wired or wireless) you have a network and would benefit from a Network drive. Again, they can be used exactly the same as an external drive, or hooked to the network allowing multiple users to access them and back up to them. With 2 500gb HDD's two people can access the drive at the same time, each with their own drive to back up to and use as general storage with more than enough room left over.
Mine has 2 500gb drives and a DVD burner in it. Since I use DVD+RW disks, I can re-use the same ones over and over. I have 4 laptops connected to my home network, two users to each drive (for now, it has 4 bays so 2 are empty right now). The system automatically does a back-up of each computer once a week, then once a month it burns full images to the DVD+RW. I keep 12 DVD+RW disks, so I go back a year before I over-write a disk, and I use DVD-9 DL disks so it all fits (after compression) onto one disk instead of the usual 2.

Anyway, probably more than any of you cared to know, LOL. If the only thing you are looking for is to back up only one computer easily and without much though, go with the Passport style external drives, 80gb and up depending on how you are backing up and how much data you have. These are 2.5" HDD's so much more portable than the larger desktop drives, some you can just slip into your shirt pocket and off you go!
Old 01-29-2008, 01:50 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
But if the only thing you are doing with the drive is backing up your computer, then this is the better bet, a WD Passport drive, more than enough space to back up everything onto your computer and then some, very portable, easy to use and half the price:
Western Digital Black Passport 120GB 2.5" External Hard Drive - 5400, 2MB, USB 2.0 WDXMS1200TN at TigerDirect.com
I have one of these - a 160gb - and it's very convenient for me because it's pretty small and it doesn't require a separate power supply. It's powered by your computer's USB.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:32 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Back ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK View Post
Personally, I like the ease of backing up my files to Flash Drives or SD cards. However, they can be wiped, so I would like to have copies of my data on a CD or DVD as well.
DITTO--
I have my HD partitioned to 5 drives C: drive is for programs The other 4 are for data files. I can B/U 2 of the data drives on one 2 GB memory stick.

This does not include my pictures. They are on CD's with the intention of putting them on a DVD to play on a TV DVD player.

Charlie
Old 01-29-2008, 07:47 AM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Thanks for all the good info, guys. I'm planning on dealing with it when I get home.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:52 AM   #18
Head Chef

Man i wouldnt mind that NAS from WD. a RAID setup for storage would be pretty cool. Best part is its actually part of the network. that makes it alot easier than sharing the drive and leaving you PC on all the time so others can access it.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:10 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

So, when I get an external HD, do I have to buy an operating system for it? The laptop has XP Pro.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:16 PM   #20
Master Chef

I use 4 external drives I take a lot of digital photos , I also burn the photos to dvds.