"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-26-2008, 04:48 PM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef

Backing Up My Laptop

I like to backup my laptop hard drive regularly for the usual reasons. With the advent of larger capacity hard drives and the size of photo files, using CDs is awkward at best.

What's the best way to go? I assume an external hard drive would work but is that the best choice?

Old 01-26-2008, 04:59 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

I use an external hard drive to back mine up. It certainly is not a perfect solution, but I figure If my computer dies then I have the external and if my external dies then I have my computer. The chances of both dying at the same time is very small.

I also keep copies of really important stuff (like my photos) in multiple places so I have those on CD or DVD, online, on my comp, and on my external.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:00 PM   #3
Executive Chef

From RK's geek husband,

If you have your own network you can buy a network drive to back up over automatically (could be slow depending on network) or buy a one-touch external drive. He also suggested to google "one touch back-up" and you'll get loads of results for hard drives that allow you to back up the computer by plugging it in and pressing a single button.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:05 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

My dad has one of those one touch jobbies RK. He loves it. I think he even has his set up on a schedule so that he doesn't even have to touch it. It just backs up every night at xxx o'clock.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:53 PM   #5
Master Chef

I am on a wireless network so I just hooked a Buffalo network drive to my router and use ChiliSync to back my stuff up. Gives me more options than one touch does. Also the image it creates can easily be transfered to a couple of DVD DL disks as Chilisync has a very good compression ratio and the image is smaller as a result.
I also will back up to DVD DL a couple of times a year, just in case. It only takes a couple of them to do my entire hard drive, which is about 180gb used.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:09 PM   #6
Cook

I only trust external hard drive, because if there is no internet access, any network drive can not be reached at all.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:15 PM   #7
Master Chef

A Buffalo network drive can be configured to attach to your router by USB or Ethernet, or attached to your computer both ways as well. This allows me to detach the drive and take it with me wherever I go. It also allows you to configure it for Internet access, meaning if you are somewhere else with Internet access and it is at home attached to the router you can log onto it remotely. I don't do this as I don't feel it is worth the security risk.
Also, attached to the router doesn't require Internet access, only access to your wireless network. Mine is in the basement in our 'office' space, everyone operates on laptops that connect to it via the wireless router. The wireless router is then connected to the cable modem which gives us all Internet access.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:38 PM   #8
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I am in the external drive camp. As well as using discs. I have quite a little library going on, lol.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:25 AM   #9
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
I like to use an external drive. It's much more convenient to keep all of my data on a single disc instead of a library of CDs. The cool thing is, you can get the HD OEM and buy a case for it separately, which can end up saving you a lot of money. Last time I bought an HD the going rate was slightly above $1/Gig, but I managed to my 300G drive for $300.

Briefly looking on newegg.com it seems like the going rate is about 4G/$1, for external drives with case already attached and whatnot. That means you can get a TB of space for about $250.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:40 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Once I figure out why my DVD-RW burner will NOT burn, I plan on fixing that and burning a backup of my data. In the mean time, I'm currently using a 2 GB SD card to back up my data in (I only have about 1.5 GB of data). I've been thinking about creating a folder in the desktop pc to rip those files into as well. I've also been thinking about getting an external HD as well.

Personally, I like the ease of backing up my files to Flash Drives or SD cards. However, they can be wiped, so I would like to have copies of my data on a CD or DVD as well.