Bacteria sprayed on meat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It really sounds terrible....but I'm guessing in reality...it might be kind of the same as when we get vaccinations. The bad stuff is put in us so our bodies can learn to fight it off. Just guessing. I think I'll let someone else be the first to try it! lol.

They are not spraying bacteria on meat. They are spraying a virus that kills the bacteria already on the meat.

It is not at all like a vaccination, since the meat is already dead, and cannot develop antibodies the way a living being can.

It sound a little iffy to me, but I am not a food scientist.

Its all ok. I am a Development microbiologist. To get FDA approval is pritty hard and has to meet very high standards. The virus can't infect humans and is detroyed in the stomach during digestion. It's better than being infected with Listeria which will probably kill you if not treated quickly.

Humans consume billions of viruses and bacteria every day. They're on and in everything, but only a tiny fraction are harmful to humans. Most are harmless. As I understand the article, in this case they're talking about using a harmless virus to kill a potentially deadly bacteria, namely listeria.

I've had food poisoning three times in my life -- once when I was a kid from bad ham at a church picnic, once from the student union in college, and once from a place called Kosher Burrito (very L.A. -- it's run by Koreans!). Believe me, it's something you want to avoid -- it's like the worst stomach flu you can imagine, and it can last for several days.

So do I think it's a bad idea? Heck, no! I think it's an amazingly good idea -- if it works and if it is indeed harmless to humans.

In my opnion that sounds good - good possibility to avoid dangerous infections... if it is the right thing to spread listeria-bacteriophages on meat?
Listeria are usually a dairy-germ, that means it's found in raw-milk and its products...
but quite common there, at least in Germany...

Well, the biggest problem is the way in which they're presenting it. While it is indeed a bacteria, everyone who reads this will focus in simply on the word "Bacteria" with revulsion while failing to realize that there are other bacteria that are used daily in other foods that we eat without even thinking about it, such as Bread, Beer, Wine, Yogurt, Cheese etc.

If the FDA has approved it, I'm sure it must have been tested fairly extensivly. I would trust it.

~ Raven ~

Back
Top Bottom