Bad News For Whole Foods Market

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm with Steve, our WFM has regular sales on various items.
I got fresh Mary's Chicken for $0.99/lb, it was wonderful, we'd
never had chicken that tasted like, well, CHICKEN! The best roast
Chicken I'd ever made.

Also, I'm in the same camp for the "hard to find items",
not to mention that at our WFM anyways, they ask you,
"did you find everything you were looking for?"
My reply at times, No, I did not, I'm looking for XYZ,
and they notate it and pass it on to management,
and son of a gun but it's available the next time I go in!

I "follow" my local WFM on Facebook as well as
receive emails in regards to the sales.

But okay, let's be honest here, I DO NOT do my regular
shopping at WFM, I shop around, and yes, I may have to go to
3-4 different shops, but, heh, I'm retired, I've got the time.

They do have some interesting stuff. My $18 salad was to feed both DH and me, and I kept piling on a bit of this, a bit of that, oh, that looks good, etc. We ended up eating on it for 2 days, so it was probably 4 salad's worth.

I've only been in a WF once, while visiting my daughter down in Valencia. It was fun looking around. We used to have a Von's here and they had a great salad bar, but they closed down and it's now a gym. I miss the salad bar. Neither of the two remaining grocery stores here have one.

Last edited:
Also, I'm in the same camp for the "hard to find items",
not to mention that at our WFM anyways, they ask you,
"did you find everything you were looking for?"
My reply at times, No, I did not, I'm looking for XYZ,
and they notate it and pass it on to management,
and son of a gun but it's available the next time I go in!...
I find that to be the case at Wegmans, a high-end grocery chain with 85 stores in half a dozen states. IF they don't have something in stock, they usually do the next time we check. We go there very infrequently, though, since the closest store is nearly 25 miles away, one way. Still, it is five miles closer than the nearest Whole Foods.

If I'm going to shop loss-leader sales at the stores around me, I want to go to the stores around me. I have eight different stores within a 12-mile radius of my house, one of which is a strictly organic grocery store offering local products, including produce in season. IF I'm in the mood to go "for a drive", we might wander over to Wegmans or some other far-away grocery store. Otherwise, whether I shop just one store per trip or four, I'd rather keep it close to home.

I'm way out in the boonies here - we have 2 grocery stores. Stater Bros and Albertsons...that's it. Anything else including TJ's, Costco, etc., is a 3 hour round trip drive. It's kind of a major planning trip to leave early in the AM, do the biggie shopping and hopefully get back home before midnight, or stay overnight at my daughter's. :)

We do have some fabulous little local farmers markets here though, and for that I am so thankful!

Last edited:
I hear ya, Cheryl. We're in the same boat, though we now have a Costco 45 minutes away. Our nearest TJ's would be a 6 hour RT.

I think it's WF that sells the wonderful goatsmilk soap. The frankincense and myhrr smells heavenly. Peppermint is nice too. We always buy a bunch when we visit Baby Bro.

Last edited:
I hear ya, Cheryl. We're in the same boat, though we now have a Costco 45 minutes away. Our nearest TJ's would be a 6 hour RT.

I think it's WF that sells the wonderful goatsmilk soap. The frankincense and myhrr smells heavenly. Peppermint is nice too. We always buy a bunch when we visit Baby Bro.

The Dr. Bronner's soaps are good. They're all natural and come in liquid or hand soap form. They have peppermint and other scents. They are available at mainstream pharmacies like CVS and Walgreen's.

Last edited:
I'm way out in the boonies here - we have 2 grocery stores. Stater Bros and Albertsons...that's it. Anything else including TJ's, Costco, etc., is a 3 hour round trip drive. It's kind of a major planning trip to leave early in the AM, do the biggie shopping and hopefully get back home before midnight, or stay overnight at my daughter's. :)

We do have some fabulous little local farmers markets here though, and for that I am so thankful!

My mom lives in a small Northern California town, and they have a Safeway, and an independent place with slightly better quality stuff and more organic stuff.

And there is a 3rd place that is a sort of a classic place that's been there since the 1940's with the stockers wearing button up shirts, bow ties, and a shop keeper's apron. This place was sort of maybe 60% the size of the others but still a full service grocery store.

I sort of shopped at all 3 but tried to spend more at the smaller place. I'd only go to Safeway if something was a great price. I lived there a month helping her out.

Also, there was sort of a small neighborhood market that pretty much had everything but the prices were 20% more than the other places. They even had a small fruit/veggie section, and they carried some basic meats. Small deli counter. So you could grab a box of Barilla pasta, some Italian sausage, some garlic, and a bottle of wine.

We moved my Mother back to her hometown in California, in the middle of the San Joaquin valley, "the food basket of the world", but...
try and find commercial shopping, HA!
When ever we plan a road trip out to visit with her, I ask her make up a list of everything she wants for "the Big City"... ie, TJ's, WFM, Sprouts, Safeway, etc. all the 'good stores' ... you should see the back of our car before he head out for Mom's place!

Our Great Western Adventure 001.JPG

The Dr. Bronner's soaps are good. They're all natural and come in liquid or hand soap form. They have peppermint and other scents. They are available at mainstream pharmacies like CVS and Walgreen's.

We like the goats milk soaps in bars for the shower. DH was so enamoured with it, he found it on line.

I haven't been to the nearest Whole Foods Market in a while (since it is still a fair distance). I am excited about going there this Saturday because I do so love their food...and, it would seem, that prices are now slashed!
icon_cheers.png

My wife sometimes shop at WFM.....but more frequently at Gelson's, as far as pricey markets are concerned. She loves Gelson's which is close by but a brand new WFM is under construction even closer to where we live, like only a mile away. She's going to go broke.
I'm a Ralph's and Vons market kind of guy.

My mom lives in a small Northern California town, and they have a Safeway, and an independent place with slightly better quality stuff and more organic stuff.

And there is a 3rd place that is a sort of a classic place that's been there since the 1940's with the stockers wearing button up shirts, bow ties, and a shop keeper's apron. This place was sort of maybe 60% the size of the others but still a full service grocery store.

I sort of shopped at all 3 but tried to spend more at the smaller place. I'd only go to Safeway if something was a great price. I lived there a month helping her out.

Also, there was sort of a small neighborhood market that pretty much had everything but the prices were 20% more than the other places. They even had a small fruit/veggie section, and they carried some basic meats. Small deli counter. So you could grab a box of Barilla pasta, some Italian sausage, some garlic, and a bottle of wine.

Good for you jd, for taking the time to scope out the limited options, shopping at the mom and pop stores, and helping your mom out. ((hugs)) :wub:

Last edited:
Anyway, the new WFM under construction nearby is actually going to be their brand new line of markets called '365'. It's their new lower priced version of the WFM geared to attract the younger crowd. Anyway, this is going to be their very first '365' location next month.

Phew! We grow our veggies, and buy meat from a local butcher. Everything else comes from Fresh Market.

I've never been to WF. I do know our Fresh Market charges $3.00/lb. for their fresh food bar. And oh my! That salad bar is to die for!

I'm reminded everyday of our brand new, local 365 Market (by Whole Foods, and their very first 365) store which had its Grand Opening a week ago. Their ad appears here on DC daily....LOL.....
I have yet to visit this new market.
They are sure to take business way from nearby Gelson's and Trader Joe's markets.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom