"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 02-26-2009, 01:06 PM   #31
Sous Chef
How is Barbara today? I hope all is going well now that the stones are out!

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:24 PM   #32
Head Chef
Wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.

qmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:02 PM   #33
Sous Chef
Wow, I'm glad you got her in to the doctor so quickly. Please send her my good wishes for a speedy recovery, and give her a big hug from me too. :)
bglc32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:52 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire
Big wet smack for both of you! (OK, gentle wet smack for Barbara). Get well soon, Barbara!
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:47 PM   #35
Traveling Welcome Wagon
Thank you so much everyone!

It all went so quickly! I have been having this pain off and on for the last several months (over a year I think) where I get huge and bloated and my upper abdomen and back hurt. It has aways gone away, so I just figured it was gas. This time though, it wasn't going away, and my chest started hurting. Plus I was sweating, so I thought maybe I was having a heart attack. We went to the emergency room. As soon as I said chest pain, they put me in an ER room and started checking me.

They did an EKG, made me chew up 4 baby aspirins, and put a nitro patch on me. They asked if I had felt nauseous, and I said yes. It wasn't 2 minutes later I threw up all over. Then another doctor came in and checked me. He said the x-rays showed a bad gallbladder. He just happened to have an opening right then, so they took me right down to the operating room (How often does that happen?!). The surgery wasn't quite as long as James thought--some of that was recovery, etc., but the doctor said it was, "the gallbladder from hell." He told me this morning that it usually takes no more than 15 minutes, but mine took over an hour. It was just about to become gangrenous. He said it was the nastiest looking gallbladder he had ever seen.

I felt so much better right after the surgery. I came home today. I'm still a little sore. Like the doctor said, I have 4 stab wounds in my abdomen, so that's to be expected. I never needed any painkillers after the surgery, which I think surprised them.

It is good to be home! Both my physical home and my DC home. You all are the greatest!

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:04 PM   #36
Senior Cook
So glad to hear you're home and doing so well. That old gallbladder being gone will make you feel so much better. Take care of yourself and don't try to do too much too soon.
HMGgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:07 PM   #37
Senior Cook
Barbara, glad to hear you are on the mend!
marigeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:56 PM   #38
Traveling Welcome Wagon
Thanks! I am definitely going to heed the advice I have been given--I'm off to take a much needed nap!

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:04 PM   #39
Executive Chef
Barbara, I am very happy for you that you are doing well. I have had galstones for about 3 years now but so far they haven't acted up too much yet.
Eat, Drink, Laugh and be Happy.
lifesaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:32 PM   #40
Executive Chef
Thats very good news and you can see that all was in place for a good job. Thanks to God

"For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others." - Nelson Mandela
miniman is offline   Reply With Quote