"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-26-2009, 07:07 PM   #41
Master Chef

Barbara, so glad you are home and getting plenty of rest. Hope you will be back to your old self again really soon.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:40 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Ummmmmmmmm...Barbara? You have some tolerance for pain there girlfriend!! Can I assume you were VERY lucky to have gone to the hospital and had this not so healthy piece of you removed????? You are being watched over!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:45 PM   #43
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
Thanks! I am definitely going to heed the advice I have been given--I'm off to take a much needed nap!

Barbara
Rest up and take care of yourself. I was very relieved to hear that you were Ok.

Hugs, SC

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:15 AM   #44
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Thanks again everyone! I'm so fortunate to have such a good family here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
Ummmmmmmmm...Barbara? You have some tolerance for pain there girlfriend!! Can I assume you were VERY lucky to have gone to the hospital and had this not so healthy piece of you removed????? You are being watched over!!!
I actually do have a very high tolerance for pain (except for paper cuts--lol), which could be why I ended up waiting until it got this bad to go to the hospital! I was definitely being watched over!

Here's some trivia for any of you who haven't had this done. I had it done arthroscopically (that doesn't seem like the right word--I know that is what is done for joints), so he only had to make a few little holes to work through. Do you know where they remove the gallbladder through? Not kidding--through the belly button!

Barbara
Old 02-27-2009, 02:54 AM   #45
Executive Chef

So glad you are home and on the mend Barbara!
Old 02-27-2009, 11:04 AM   #46
Sous Chef

Barbara, I am sending you lots of warm hugs while you recover at home. . Some lovely smelling flowers for you as well!
Old 02-27-2009, 11:04 AM   #47
Everymom

Well Barbara, we have matching tummies now! LOL. I'm so glad you got it out. You won't believe how much better you feel now.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:29 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

I actually do have a very high tolerance for pain (except for paper cuts--lol), which could be why I ended up waiting until it got this bad to go to the hospital! I was definitely being watched over!

Here's some trivia for any of you who haven't had this done. I had it done arthroscopically (that doesn't seem like the right word--I know that is what is done for joints), so he only had to make a few little holes to work through. Do you know where they remove the gallbladder through? Not kidding--through the belly button!

Barbara
That's laparascopically Glad they were able to do it that for you - the recovery is much easier than the other way. I had mine out a little over a year ago, and due to adhesions from previous surgeries, the surgeon wasn't able to do it that way. It was a relatively small incision (about 3 inches, compared to my mom's 8-inch incision from 12 or so years ago) and I went home the next day, but I was out of work for 3 weeks.

Glad you're feeling better. Take care.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:40 PM   #49
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
That's laparascopically Glad they were able to do it that for you - the recovery is much easier than the other way. I had mine out a little over a year ago, and due to adhesions from previous surgeries, the surgeon wasn't able to do it that way. It was a relatively small incision (about 3 inches, compared to my mom's 8-inch incision from 12 or so years ago) and I went home the next day, but I was out of work for 3 weeks.

Glad you're feeling better. Take care.
Yeah, I forgot to turn my brain on yesterday! I knew I had it wrong, but the real word just didn't want to come to me! Thanks!

When my daughter had hers out at age 18, she had just had a baby and couldn't pick him up for 2 weeks afterwards because she had it done the old way. I don't know why they didn't do hers laparoscopically.

I am just a little sore today. It hurts a little to go from lying to sitting position, and from sitting to standing, but really not bad.

Barbara
Old 02-27-2009, 06:47 PM   #50
Master Chef

Quote:

Barbara
Glad you are okay . Things certainly have changed since 1965 , when I had the gall bladder removed, the doc cut a 13 inch long in my stomach to remove the gall bladder, still have the ugly scar .