"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-16-2007, 05:02 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Baseball fans....

I mean c'mon, seriously. Doesn't one need to actually have character before they can claim that it was defamed?

Bonds reportedly preparing to sue Schilling - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

Old 08-16-2007, 05:06 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I think he's responding to Schilling's comment that if he was innocent, he should be sueing anyone who made comments about his illegal/prohibited drug use.

Your comment is right on!

Old 08-16-2007, 06:07 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Schill needs to "Shut his pie hole!"

His mouth is as big as Sheffields......maybe just a tad smaller.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:18 PM   #4
Head Chef

If Schilling was merely iterating what someone else said, and that can be documented, I believe he is home free. Reporters all the time say that someone has accused someone else of some nasty or illicit behavior and are not subject to libel/slander judgements because of it.

Of course this may just be a bullying technique by the lawyers to silence Schilling. Nah, no lawyer would ever do that.

Were I Bonds the last thing I would want is a sensational lawsuit with every journalist/media person who makes his or her living on tittilation going out to find every bit of dirt on Bonds they could find.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:38 PM   #5
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntdot
Were I Bonds the last thing I would want is a sensational lawsuit with every journalist/media person who makes his or her living on tittilation going out to find every bit of dirt on Bonds they could find.
That's the difference between Bonds and sensible people.

Barbara
Old 08-16-2007, 09:30 PM   #6
Executive Chef

How many ballplayers took 'Greenies'?

The whole League was on something at one point or another.

IMHO, I'm not sure what to think about Bonds....I mean, alot of players were on something.....and Selig knew it.

He made his bed.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:34 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
I mean c'mon, seriously. Doesn't one need to actually have character before they can claim that it was defamed?

Bravo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:34 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz
...I mean, alot of players were on something...

Then they are all guilty.

"Everybody else is doing it!" Wasn't a valid excuse for screwing up when you were a kid, and it isn't now.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:16 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Personally, I don't really care as to whether or not Barry took 'roids. Without them, he would still have easily been a first ballot Hall of Famer. Along with Ken Griffey Jr., Bonds was one of the top two best outfielders and one of the top five best players in the 90's, a true five-tool talent who could do it all. He was a great player way before he hit the 73 homeruns.

However, his surly attitude distanced himself from most fans, and how he handled the whole Balco fiasco was very poor. How he handled the other allegations and the ensuing scandal was just as bad. For me, that's the problem that I have with his character.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:41 AM   #10
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
Personally, I don't really care as to whether or not Barry took 'roids. Without them, he would still have easily been a first ballot Hall of Famer. Along with Ken Griffey Jr., Bonds was one of the top two best outfielders and one of the top five best players in the 90's, a true five-tool talent who could do it all. He was a great player way before he hit the 73 homeruns.
I dunno, I saw some early years footage of Bonds, and the dude is twice as big, and ripped, now. I'm not trying to discredit what his ability would have been clean, but I don't think he would be as big (no pun intended) as he is now. He may still have been a stellar athlete, but I think the home run derby might have been different.