"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-19-2013, 02:13 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

See if the school has a facebook page or a chat site. See what other people are saying aside from GotGarlic's good comment.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Hi, Charlie. The school should have a student handbook ...
This school is so small I am surprised there is a school at all. The policy was made on a fly some time in the middle of the school. Problem is that it is very hard to fight people of authority who are your friendsin social life.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:46 PM   #13
Master Chef

Not onlyu this school has no face book page, there is no internet in the school, we are still living in the 19 century here. It is very strict religious school and a lot of things are not done the way it is in the real world today.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:47 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
A girl her age may have an emergency bathroom need not related to the usual that could become extremely embarrassing. I'd ask that the teacher ask her if it can wait for a short time, but to let her go if she needs to.
That's what I was thinking too.

I think a girl that age should just be allowed to go. How's the teacher going to react when the kid stands up and there's "blood" all over the back of her skirt? She shouldn't have to put up with that kind of nonsense. Sometimes there isn't even time to wait for the teacher to say yes.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:49 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

So you have to ask yourself. Which is more important. Your child's health or your social life. Sometimes you have to promote civil disobedience to obtain civil unity.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #16
Head Chef

Personally I would speak to the teacher direct and explain the problem and the anxiety it is causing . You can then tell them that you have told your daughter to go if she needs to, so they know that has come from the parents, children shouldn't be put in this situation by the school it's just daft .
Old 03-19-2013, 04:03 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
Personally I would speak to the teacher direct and explain the problem and the anxiety it is causing . You can then tell them that you have told your daughter to go if she needs to, so they know that has come from the parents, children shouldn't be put in this situation by the school it's just daft .
+1

I agree.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:01 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
+1

I agree.
+2

I work in public schools. As far as I know, there is no bathroom "policy" in the handbook, it's usually up to the individual teacher. Most teachers are very understanding, but a few students are known to abuse bathroom passes, leaving class as an avoidance, to meet up with friends, or to just hang out in the restroom. In middle and high school here, students use planners or restroom passes, they write the time they leave, show it to the teacher, and go, no questions asked. The teacher is able to keep track, and can call the office to have someone check if a student is gone too long and might be sick, or wandering around.

Hope your meeting goes well, Charlie. I agree, best thing to do is talk to the teacher.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Charlie, that is absolutely ridiculous. At that age, especially, she could have an unpleasant surprise quite unexpectedly. Hope she isn't wearing white if that were to happen. When I was in high school, we didn't need hall passes. We could leave class to use the restroom whenever. What if she were feeling sick to her stomach, or had an onslaught of diarrhea? I worked with s/one once who suffered from sudden-onset diarrhea whenever she was stressed. And I mean it was sudden. My mother suffers from that problem. Don't stand between her and the bathroom, and often she doesn't make it.

I rather doubt your daughter is sneaking into the bathroom to have a cigarette (or worse). No matter one's age, one should be treated with dignity and respect. Even having to raise one's hand to use the washroom at that age is embarrassing. Girls at that age are so self-conscious. Boys tease them about their developing breasts, pop their bra straps, etc. Having to raise one's hand to use the washroom...awful. I was very shy (and still am) as a child. If I was late to school and the door to the classroom was closed, I walked home. I never used the in-class washroom. OMG, how could I? Everyone would look at me. Even now, when I have to go on a client's site, I never leave my work station to use the washroom. I "hold it" until I get home.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:15 AM   #20
Master Chef

Well, went to talk the teacher and principal. Of course they tried to blame my daughter. I tried to be polite which really was not easy seeing the stubbornness of them both. I have suggested an alternative policy, will see what happens. In all honesty I doubt it will help. Talked toy daughter told her to try to avoid the bathroom issue as much as she can.