Bats and Rabies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
I just opened this email and found it interesting. Sure, we all know it's possible to get a bat in your house, but apparently they can take cover in some unexpected places....
In its entirety

RABIES ALERT!
One More Rabid Bat in Erie County
September 19, 2008

Please be advised that a bat found at a home on West 9th Street in Erie, Erie County has tested positive for rabies. This bat was found inside a coat sleeve on a coat rack inside the home. When the homeowner put on her coat, the bat bit her on the finger. She will be receiving rabies postexposure prophylaxis.

No animals are known to have been exposed to this bat.

Pennsylvania law requires that all dogs and non-feral cats three months of age and older are rabies vaccinated and that booster vaccinations are administered periodically to maintain lifelong immunity. Rabies vaccine is also available for other species.

As it is not possible to determine if this bat may have exposed other wild or domestic animals, please consult your private veterinary practitioner to determine your animal's needs. This is of great importance, as you need to assure that your pet is not a potential source of rabies for your family and neighbors.

If you have any additional questions regarding this incident, please contact Dr. Anthony LaBarbera, Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture (717-783-9550).

Karen Martin, VMD
Bureau of Animal Health and Diagnostic Services
Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture
Region 1 Office
13410 Dunham Road
Meadville, PA 16336

Great news! An exterminator is due at the house this morning to close up holes in my roof area that have allowed the critters to make a bat cave out of my attic.

I take it they've migrated already? I know they have in my area. I need to get some bat houses built so I can hopefully encourage them to sleep in different places next year, but at least it's not my house.

BTW, they recommend that if a bat enters your living area, everyone undergo post exposure treatment. They can bite you at night and you wouldn't even know it :ohmy:

We went through a bat scare 2-3 years ago. I think any bat anywhere can be a rabies carrier. They're almost a tourist attraction in Austin where they emerge under the Congress Street bridge at sunset to gobble up mosquitos. At some point we were encouraged to build bat houses as a natural way to combat these and other pesky creatures.

Then we had a couple of rabies problem. I remember the first. A teen-age boy opened his bedroom window and took off the screen. A bat flew in, bit him during the night. He later died. The next bat problem occurred at a school. I don't remember the details.

The popularity of building a habitat for bats faded quickly.

My family and I had the series of rabies shots. Not pleasant. It wasn't from a bat but a cat that we were all exposed to and there was a question of rabies.

Well at least a cat won't be hiding in your coat sleeve :ohmy:

And it's nice they don't have to do the stomach shots anymore. Were yours through the stomach? How long ago was it?

Pacanis

It was two years ago. The first series of shots are 5 in the rear and then follow ups are in the arm. My daughter fainted with the first round. The problem was that they are only given in the hospital where I am so it meant waiting our turn in the emergency room.

The nurse did say that they never gave the shots in the tummy.

I will check my sleeves for meowing sounds before I put it on!

lol, probably an old wives tale then about the stomach shots.

We had a bat in the house once. It was at night, we heard something crash in the spare bedroom and went in to find that our cat Mitsie had caught it on the floor by pushing a laundry basket on top of it. :) Smart Kitty!!!

Did you have the bat tested for rabies, Saphellae?
There have been a couple deaths in the US recently of people dying from rabies who were exposed to a bats, but didn't realize they had been bitten. And if memory serves, it can incubate for up to two years.

Well Pacanis, Thanks to this thread I'll be sleeping with one eye open for a while!! :LOL:

Oh, and just so I know, what sounds do bats make?? I gotta go and get started making a garlic necklace......

Whoa, don't do that! They might bite you in the eye :LOL:

Like I mentioned before. I just found it really interesting that a bat would take up residence in a coat sleeve. I know enough what to do for my own health if I find one in my house, but now I have to worry about one hanging upsidedown in a coat sleeve and definitely receiving a bite??? Yechh!

Do you guys see a lot of bats, then? I've never seen one in a house, but once in a blue moon I'll see one fly past my house if I'm outside at night. My friend once found an injured bat and nursed it back to health, I think they had it tested. She has pictures of it sitting on her shoulder :)

I would love to see that picture, Lynd.
England doesn't have rabies, right?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom