"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-14-2007, 11:32 AM   #11
Master Chef

Dear Barb L,

So sorry to hear about your ordeal. I worked in an ENT clinic for a year with a large testing allergy clinic attached and it indeed sounds like you may need to have an epipen (epinephrine) on hand for any future stings as each successive exposure can lead to worse and perhaps life-threatening reactions. Always have Benadryl on hand as well if you are allowed to take it. If you know that you are going to be in an area that has bees and wasps you should take precautions as well. For immediate pain relief after a sting an application of baking soda and water paste will neutralize the acid in the bee stings though it won't prevent an internal allergic reaction if you are susceptible. Hope that you feel better soon. :)

Old 08-14-2007, 11:45 AM   #12
Executive Chef

You can also buy or make wasp traps I find my homemade version works better.I made a hole bunch of them for the whole neighborhood a few years back and caught hundreds of them it was a really bad year for them.Also if you put some out in the spring you just might catch the queen before she lays hundreds of eggs.Another bit of info is a wasp can sting many times over as they dont lose their stinger when stinging like a bee does. If you do decide to use wasp traps be sure to place them away from where you are.If you like I can give you instructions on how to make these things mine dont just trap them but drowns them as well.Also the traps dont trap beneficial bees.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:22 PM   #13
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

The bee or wasp didn't come after me, I disturbed it! I was moving some lava rocks with my hand by our shed - he must have been under one! lol, he got me fast too- never saw him !!
Just the back of my hand is swollen, not fingers or palm ! Not itching now, probably waiting till I go to bed tonight !
Old 08-14-2007, 12:33 PM   #14
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
You can also buy or make wasp traps I find my homemade version works better.I made a hole bunch of them for the whole neighborhood a few years back and caught hundreds of them it was a really bad year for them.Also if you put some out in the spring you just might catch the queen before she lays hundreds of eggs.Another bit of info is a wasp can sting many times over as they dont lose their stinger when stinging like a bee does. If you do decide to use wasp traps be sure to place them away from where you are.If you like I can give you instructions on how to make these things mine dont just trap them but drowns them as well.Also the traps dont trap beneficial bees.
That would be great, we all should have a trap ! Lead on jp !
Old 08-14-2007, 12:50 PM   #15
Executive Chef

How to Get Rid of Wasps
A drop of soap in mix makes them drown rather than float around
Old 08-14-2007, 01:03 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Another good treatment for bee or wasp stings is to make a paste out of meat tenderizer the papain(sp?)a papaya extract that breaks down meat also breaks down the enzymes in the bee or wasp venom.Never had the chance to try it and frankly I dont want the chance to try it.I have also heard Neem Oil is good for stings.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:11 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
How to Get Rid of Wasps
A drop of soap in mix makes them drown rather than float around
Thank you, thank you, thank you JP! The link you posted is really informative and I am starting to have trouble with wasps right now so this is great. I'm on my way out to buy some 2 liter bottles of soda!
Terry
Old 08-14-2007, 01:21 PM   #18
Executive Chef

You are welcome.These babies really work Ive experimented with different concoctions like beer or water and maple syrup any thing you think the wasps might like.Those bottles can get full quickly.Now if you have meat eating wasps there is another method with the bottle using raw not rotten meat.Its kinda a fun project the neighbors will want them also if its a bad year for wasps.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:24 PM   #19
Executive Chef

So this subject got me surfing and this is what I found
Beekeeping, Honey, Beeswax, Propolis and Candle Supplies at Blossomland Bee Supply
BeeSafe I ordered a bottle will let you know if it works as Im allergic to bees.
Why am I allergic to bees?Ill tell you why because I have Bad Bee Karma from pulling the wings off of bee's when I was a little girl.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:27 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
You are welcome.These babies really work Ive experimented with different concoctions like beer or water and maple syrup any thing you think the wasps might like.Those bottles can get full quickly.Now if you have meat eating wasps there is another method with the bottle using raw not rotten meat.Its kinda a fun project the neighbors will want them also if its a bad year for wasps.
I'm thinking Koolaid or non-diet soda or even a simple syrup mixture with a little dish soap for mine - the sons would gasp at the idea of giving perfectly good beer to wasps! I'm also definitely going to post this link for the neighborhood group. As far as meat eating wasps, I didn't know there was such a thing. The idea is creepy! I just hope they will go for sugery stuff too because I have a serious raccoon problem and hanging meat would be like posting a vacancy sign for these guys.