Bee or wasp sting- help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barb L.

Master Chef
I got bite yesterday morning, seemed to go away, then last night I was up all night - itching ! Ice seems to help, but can only do that for awhile. What can I do for the itching? When I scratch, seems my hand swells more. (I got bite on the hand) Help ! I take so many meds. I hate to take anything orally.

Hey, BarbL.

Sorry to hear about the bite. The only thing I would say to look for is something with lots of antihistamine in it, I am sure as if there is a cream or something, since you don't prefer pills or what have you.

Good luck to you and your hand.

Call your doctor first, but Benedryl orally, cortisone ointment topically. Call your doctor first before taking the benedryl to make sure there is no interaction problem. My husband takes a lot of meds as well, but benedryl is what is recommended (right before we diall 911; he's violently allergic). But mainly, call your doctor.

Thanks all, - we are 95 miles from home at our 5th wheel, (Campsite). Have to pick my pills up today so will ask the pharmacist. I will try the onion thingy too.

Barb,
the pharmacist can help, just mention the meds you are already taking though, he can tell you is any will interact with benadryl..The antihistamin will make you a little sleepy though so just relax and rest. There is a benadryl cream that is over the counter that might help the itching. I'm surprised at that, When DH gets stung he says it is sore the next day and no swelling..So please see what the pharmacist has to say.
kadesma

kadesma said:
Barb,
the pharmacist can help, just mention the meds you are already taking though, he can tell you is any will interact with benadryl..The antihistamin will make you a little sleepy though so just relax and rest. There is a benadryl cream that is over the counter that might help the itching. I'm surprised at that, When DH gets stung he says it is sore the next day and no swelling..So please see what the pharmacist has to say.
kadesma

Thanks, I got bite in the morning yesterday, it was sore= just a little swelling, no itching - but last night (when suspose to be sleeping) I was scratching all night. This seemed to make it swell. Also, antihistamins work the opposite with me ! Nite-quil - keeps me up at night! Go figure ! I go at 2:00 to pick up my scripts, I will show him my hand- puffy little sucker.

:) Dont be surprised if you doctor prescribes an Epi Pen to carry with you just in case the next time you get a full blown reaction.I carry 2 Pens cause the next time Im stung by a bee I might be in a heap of trouble.The pens are also good to have in case someone gets a full blow reaction like from a certain food.

Dear Barb L,

So sorry to hear about your ordeal. I worked in an ENT clinic for a year with a large testing allergy clinic attached and it indeed sounds like you may need to have an epipen (epinephrine) on hand for any future stings as each successive exposure can lead to worse and perhaps life-threatening reactions. Always have Benadryl on hand as well if you are allowed to take it. If you know that you are going to be in an area that has bees and wasps you should take precautions as well. For immediate pain relief after a sting an application of baking soda and water paste will neutralize the acid in the bee stings though it won't prevent an internal allergic reaction if you are susceptible. Hope that you feel better soon. :)

;) You can also buy or make wasp traps I find my homemade version works better.I made a hole bunch of them for the whole neighborhood a few years back and caught hundreds of them it was a really bad year for them.Also if you put some out in the spring you just might catch the queen before she lays hundreds of eggs.Another bit of info is a wasp can sting many times over as they dont lose their stinger when stinging like a bee does. If you do decide to use wasp traps be sure to place them away from where you are.If you like I can give you instructions on how to make these things mine dont just trap them but drowns them as well.Also the traps dont trap beneficial bees.

The bee or wasp didn't come after me, I disturbed it! I was moving some lava rocks with my hand by our shed - he must have been under one! lol, he got me fast too- never saw him !!
Just the back of my hand is swollen, not fingers or palm ! Not itching now, probably waiting till I go to bed tonight !

Last edited:
jpmcgrew said:
;) You can also buy or make wasp traps I find my homemade version works better.I made a hole bunch of them for the whole neighborhood a few years back and caught hundreds of them it was a really bad year for them.Also if you put some out in the spring you just might catch the queen before she lays hundreds of eggs.Another bit of info is a wasp can sting many times over as they dont lose their stinger when stinging like a bee does. If you do decide to use wasp traps be sure to place them away from where you are.If you like I can give you instructions on how to make these things mine dont just trap them but drowns them as well.Also the traps dont trap beneficial bees.

That would be great, we all should have a trap ! Lead on jp !

:) Another good treatment for bee or wasp stings is to make a paste out of meat tenderizer the papain(sp?)a papaya extract that breaks down meat also breaks down the enzymes in the bee or wasp venom.Never had the chance to try it and frankly I dont want the chance to try it.I have also heard Neem Oil is good for stings.

Last edited:
:) You are welcome.These babies really work Ive experimented with different concoctions like beer or water and maple syrup any thing you think the wasps might like.Those bottles can get full quickly.Now if you have meat eating wasps there is another method with the bottle using raw not rotten meat.Its kinda a fun project the neighbors will want them also if its a bad year for wasps.

jpmcgrew said:
:) You are welcome.These babies really work Ive experimented with different concoctions like beer or water and maple syrup any thing you think the wasps might like.Those bottles can get full quickly.Now if you have meat eating wasps there is another method with the bottle using raw not rotten meat.Its kinda a fun project the neighbors will want them also if its a bad year for wasps.
I'm thinking Koolaid or non-diet soda or even a simple syrup mixture with a little dish soap for mine - the sons would gasp at the idea of giving perfectly good beer to wasps! I'm also definitely going to post this link for the neighborhood group. As far as meat eating wasps, I didn't know there was such a thing. The idea is creepy! I just hope they will go for sugery stuff too because I have a serious raccoon problem and hanging meat would be like posting a vacancy sign for these guys. :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom