Bee Pollen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

recipedirect

Senior Cook
My daughter in law gave me a bottle of local bee pollen, It is suppose to be good for allergies, energy, etc. I am allergic to bees and to most pollen. I am kind of afraid to take it. I have done some research and am finding mixed reviews. Does anyone take this? Have you seen a benefit?

My understanding is that in order for it to be good for your allergies it needs to be local (to you) pollen. If your DL lives somewhere not near you then it will not benefit you as far as allergies go.

When I learned of my wasp/bee allergy, the allergist suggested that I probably didn't want to take bee pollen. When in doubt, consult your allergist/doctor.

It is local pollen so should help with seasonal allergies. The bee allergy is what I am afraid of. I may try a small dose with my EPI pen handy.

Have you ever used your EPI pen? It is not something I would voluntarily use. I usually take Benadryl (prescription strength) and get to an emergency room ASAP if I'm stung. I was told never to use my EPI until I was actually in shock. The only time I've gone into shock was from pine nuts. That sucker hurts when it is injected and the bruise I had was the size of a dinner plate. By the time I realized what was happening (I was making pesto using up some of the fresh basil from the garden), I couldn't have used my EPI if I wanted to--and I sure as heck couldn't have driven. I couldn't open my hands. And, at the ER they gave me a hefty dose of Benadryl. I slept for three days. If you want to find out if you'll react, you might wait until s/one else is there to assist you if you do.

CWS4322 Yes, I have used my EPI and no it not something I want to do again. I really think that I will be okay but am not going to take the chance. I just didn't want to hurt my daughter in laws feelings.

Back
Top Bottom