"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-17-2007, 01:59 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Bee population dying off?

don't know if anyone else saw a Fox news blurb about 4 weeks ago but they were saying 1/4 of the nations bees are dying off and there is no reason they know of. I have so many dead bees in my front porch. been noticing it for many months. dh thought it was the anti mold treatment he put into the water feature in the front yard, that maybe the bees got a drink or something, but then I remembered I saw them dead on the front patio way way before the water feature.

Fox said something about ''how will our crops in the nation get pollinated if the bees aren't around to do that''.

just got me to thinking about the subject, that's all...

Old 08-17-2007, 02:19 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Pollination occurs many ways, not just from bees.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:28 PM   #3
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz
This is true, but bees are a major pollinator. Different plants are pollinated by different insects, animals, wind, etc. I'm not an expert, but I would think that losing too many bees would cause some problems.

Barbara
Old 08-17-2007, 04:35 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFSElover
don't know if anyone else saw a Fox news blurb about 4 weeks ago but they were saying 1/4 of the nations bees are dying off and there is no reason they know of. I have so many dead bees in my front porch. been noticing it for many months. dh thought it was the anti mold treatment he put into the water feature in the front yard, that maybe the bees got a drink or something, but then I remembered I saw them dead on the front patio way way before the water feature.

Fox said something about ''how will our crops in the nation get pollinated if the bees aren't around to do that''.

just got me to thinking about the subject, that's all...
This was first reported last winter. Here are a couple of articles on it (there are lots more):
Dying bees | Buzz off | Economist.com

Mysterious honeybee deaths drive honey prices higher - Mar. 29, 2007
Old 08-17-2007, 04:46 PM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

Actually it was reported much before last winter. I have been hearing about this for a number of years now. It just seems that this year it got a lot more face time on the news for some reason. I recently heard that they found out the reason. I do not remember exactly what it was, but I believe it was a disease of some sort.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:53 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Actually it was reported much before last winter. I have been hearing about this for a number of years now. It just seems that this year it got a lot more face time on the news for some reason. I recently heard that they found out the reason. I do not remember exactly what it was, but I believe it was a disease of some sort.
One of the stories I listed said it started in November 2006, so I was just repeating that I also gathered that this has happened before; this is currently the most recent episode, and maybe the most serious. They call it colony collapse disorder.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:18 AM   #7
Senior Cook

That's scary to think that bees are dying off. Just imagine what kind of environmental impact it will have on the world if all bees died off.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:11 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
Jeek, I'd take you seriously, but then, I look at that picture and it just cracks me up
Old 08-18-2007, 11:15 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
This was first reported last winter. Here are a couple of articles on it (there are lots more):
Dying bees | Buzz off | Economist.com

Mysterious honeybee deaths drive honey prices higher - Mar. 29, 2007
very interesting, thanks for posting. much of what that said was what I'd Tivo'd and watched a few times. I am just hoping it's not anything 'global' and that it will pass.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:54 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

We are living in a world were we have genetically modified crops and the high potent chemicals to keep the survival of the plants and crop, only to fame the name of the agro giants in the world map. Tomorrow they can market artificial honey to our next generations if the bees are dead. They can sell lot of lab made plants for our garden because there will be no pollination without bees. Moreover at last they can take us to the old slavery-Old wine in a new bottle.