"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-02-2008, 07:29 PM   #11
Master Chef

many waitresses have money taken out of their hard-earned paychecks if they "mess up"----glad you are so honest, Calya........I once found a loaded wallet and I do mean loaded with $$$ and credit cards in a pile of lingerie-----I knew how I would feel if had lost a wallet full of that loot and possible identity theft.....and turned it in immediately to security........she ran in about 10 minutes later so panicked it was hard to watch.....hyperventilating was a more descriptive word......I was so glad to witness her relief and happiness......definitely believe in good karma

Old 06-02-2008, 07:37 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I'm a "numbers" person. Buck says it means I'm a "counter." Whatever it's called, I almost always know, within a few cents, what I should pay for anything. Having said that, when I'm overcharged or undercharged, I'll know it. I always speak up, one way or the other.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:04 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
many waitresses have money taken out of their hard-earned paychecks if they "mess up"----glad you are so honest, Calya........I once found a loaded wallet and I do mean loaded with $$$ and credit cards in a pile of lingerie-----I knew how I would feel if had lost a wallet full of that loot and possible identity theft.....and turned it in immediately to security........she ran in about 10 minutes later so panicked it was hard to watch.....hyperventilating was a more descriptive word......I was so glad to witness her relief and happiness......definitely believe in good karma
I left my purse in the shopping cart in a parking lot and did not even realize it till several days later. After backtracking my steps, I realized where it might be and called the grocery store. Sure enough they had it and told me where the kind stranger had found it. When I went to pick it up, it was ALL there! I have not given up on the kindness and the ability of people to do the RIGHT thing!!!! I was amazed tho, I really expected stuff to be missing.

I don't carry a purse anymore....
Old 06-02-2008, 10:11 PM   #14
Head Chef

Wow, what a great bunch of people! I am also a stickler for this - doesn't feel at all right to compromise my honesty for a few bucks. Like Mama says, it'll come back and bite you for sure. I know people who rationalize this, though - I used to date a guy like that. He was prematurely gray (and looked older than dirt) and even though he was too young, he'd always ask for a senior discount at the movies. I wasn't old enough, either, and refused. So we bought separate tickets. We didn't date for very long. That seemed like an indication of poor ethics/character to me.