"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-02-2008, 03:55 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Being Over/Undercharged at the store

Lately, I have been noticing that I have been getting charged incorrectly for purchases. Sometimes it is in my favor and sometimes it is not. I usually say something as my conscience won't let me sleep if I don't. The waitress at the restaurant we went to even made the wrong change for a $20 bill. She gave my friend five, $5 bills for a 20! Or course, she was given the extra $5 back.

When you are undercharged for an item or items, do you say something? Or do you walk away?

Old 06-02-2008, 04:21 PM   #2
Master Chef

Wellll... if my hubby finds out I did this, I will NEVER hear the end of it. But last year we had our fence replaced to the tune of $1600. The neighbor paid for their half of the fence to me. This was July last year. As of January of 2008, I still had not seen a bill from these guys. DH was quite happy with this and was content to leave things as they were. I on the other hand believe that this type of stuff will come back and bite you in the rear if you do not do the right thing. I told DH that we either refund the neighbors money back or we contact the fencing company.

Sooooo... I quietly contacted the fencing company and asked him to send me an invoice (DH does not know that I did this and I will eventually tell him one day that I did.). The fencing guy knocked $100 off the total bill for good karma and I paid for the work. Talk about an opportunity to have $1600 work and materials for free!

Old 06-02-2008, 04:36 PM   #3
Head Chef

You did the right thing Sattie. I too believe if you are not honest, it WILL come back to bite you in the butt. I also believe if you do the right thing, You will be rewarded!
Old 06-02-2008, 05:11 PM   #4
Senior Cook

We sold our car through auction once... and the auction-house sent us two cheques, both for slightly different amounts (I think one was $4,300 NZD and the other was $4,500 NZD)

I banked them, kind of figuring one wouldn't go through. But they both did - so we effectively recieved twice what the car was worth.

I got in touch with them and wrote them out a cheque. They were very nice about letting me give the smaller amount back. However, I was always a bit miffed that they didn't seem particularly grateful - if that was my business, I sure would be!

I want to be a 'good person', and I have values I want to live up to - but I have to work hard at it in situations like this. I must admit I was VERY tempted just to keep the money.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:28 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Last Friday night SO and stopped to pick up dinner at KFC. She ordered a BLT chicken salad and the register showed a total of $4.73 (approx). I then ordered a chicken dinner. The register still showed the same amount and the clerk asked for that amount for all the food. I told him that wasn't right. He couldn't figure out how to fix it and called a senior guy over to help. He couldn't figure out how to get the right total either. He told me to just pay the $4.73, it would be easier that way. I paid and left.

If I'm over or under charged I always speak up.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:35 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Just remembered another one - my husband, before we were married, tried to buy me a giant teddybear. They usually cost around $100, but the one he liked didn't have a pricetag and the barcode wasn't scanning. The lady at the till searched and searched their records for the teddy - and the only item with a similar description she could find was a minature version priced at about $6. So after more fruitless searching, she just gave it to him for $6!
Old 06-02-2008, 05:48 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

I hope he waited until after you werre married to tell you that.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:58 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama View Post
You did the right thing Sattie. I too believe if you are not honest, it WILL come back to bite you in the butt. I also believe if you do the right thing, You will be rewarded!
Thanks Mama.... Reward or not, at least my conscience is clear!

Stassie... boy, what a screw up! But you did good! Yea, the fence guy did not seem very greatful either, actually had the gall to call me two days later wanting to know where his check was at. I was like dude!!! I called you! You'll get yer money!
Old 06-02-2008, 06:02 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I always say something. I think it was just a couple weeks ago I gave someone back what they "overchanged" me. And it was significant.
Being overcharged though....... that I probably wouldn't notice. Not if I was buying a bunch of items.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:02 PM   #10
Executive Chef

When I was about 21 I went to the bank to get travelers cheques the woman gave me a few hundred more than what I paid for I gave it back to her. I am honest as well unless it happens when I'm not counting the change back but then I wouldn't know it anyway.