"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-20-2012, 11:09 PM   #61
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,297
soap and water.
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:21 PM   #62
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60
I have the recipes for both Saline and Dakin's solution If anyone is interested. Dakin's is used much more sparingly, only for infected wounds and it is stopped when the infection is gone.

Being able to make my own saline saved Medicare $50 x 3...
I would like the saline recipe, please. I got a bunch of saline packets for a Neti Pot, will that work?
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:31 PM   #63
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
Are there any other uses for it? Should I just throw it out?
You can bleach your hair with it. I bet you would look cute with blonde curls trailing down over your forehead.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:31 PM   #64
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I would like the saline recipe, please. I got a bunch of saline packets for a Neti Pot, will that work?
Yes, it's the same thing.

Normal Saline (called that because it is the same concentration of sodium chloride that blood has)

You need a quart jar with a lid.

Wash covered saucepan, teaspoon measure, 2 or 4 cup measure, a metal spoon and the quart jar with lid in hot soapy water and rinse well, the dishwasher works too.

Boil 6 cups of water in a covered pan for 20 minutes.

Pour 4 cups of boiled water into the clean jar.

Add 2 teaspoons of salt to the jar and mix well.

Cover the jar with lid, note the date and store covered in the fridge for not more than one week.

I actually canned mine in a hot water bath and am storing them in the linen closet with the first aid kit. That way I have it on hand. Never pour back what you haven't used. You will contaminate the whole jar.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:35 PM   #65
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

Yes, it's the same thing.

Normal Saline (called that because it is the same concentration of sodium chloride that blood has)

You need a quart jar with a lid.

Wash covered saucepan, teaspoon measure, 2 or 4 cup measure, a metal spoon and the quart jar with lid in hot soapy water and rinse well, the dishwasher works too.

Boil 6 cups of water in a covered pan for 20 minutes.

Pour 4 cups of boiled water into the clean jar.

Add 2 teaspoons of salt to the jar and mix well.

Cover the jar with lid, note the date and store covered in the fridge for not more than one week.

I actually canned mine in a hot water bath and am storing them in the linen closet with the first aid kit. That way I have it on hand. Never pour back what you haven't used. You will contaminate the whole jar.
This is fascinating. Thanks PF!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:40 PM   #66
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
PF, we have a handy household hints thread. I'd love to see a sticky of basic first aid stuff. Cuts, burns, typical cooking crap. Would you consider putting one together?
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:43 PM   #67
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
PF, we have a handy household hints thread. I'd love to see a sticky of basic first aid stuff. Cuts, burns, typical cooking crap. Would you consider putting one together?
I could do that. I will work on it next weekend.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:45 PM   #68
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I could do that. I will work on it next weekend.
MWAH!! Perfect! You could make it easy on yourself and search just posts you've made with key words in them. That might make it just a c&p job in a lot of ways.

__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:50 PM   #69
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
MWAH!! Perfect! You could make it easy on yourself and search just posts you've made with key words in them. That might make it just a c&p job in a lot of ways.

I will take a look at my posts. Thanks for the idea, Alix.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:45 AM   #70
Executive Chef
 
Bolas De Fraile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,193
My skin is as delicate as a babies bum so I use papaya skin on infected wounds.
__________________

__________________
I was married by a judge, I should have asked for a jury.
Bolas De Fraile is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.