Best all around antiseptic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PrincessFiona60 said:
I have the recipes for both Saline and Dakin's solution If anyone is interested. Dakin's is used much more sparingly, only for infected wounds and it is stopped when the infection is gone.

Being able to make my own saline saved Medicare $50 x 3...

I would like the saline recipe, please. I got a bunch of saline packets for a Neti Pot, will that work?

Last edited:
I would like the saline recipe, please. I got a bunch of saline packets for a Neti Pot, will that work?

Yes, it's the same thing.

Normal Saline (called that because it is the same concentration of sodium chloride that blood has)

You need a quart jar with a lid.

Wash covered saucepan, teaspoon measure, 2 or 4 cup measure, a metal spoon and the quart jar with lid in hot soapy water and rinse well, the dishwasher works too.

Boil 6 cups of water in a covered pan for 20 minutes.

Pour 4 cups of boiled water into the clean jar.

Add 2 teaspoons of salt to the jar and mix well.

Cover the jar with lid, note the date and store covered in the fridge for not more than one week.

I actually canned mine in a hot water bath and am storing them in the linen closet with the first aid kit. That way I have it on hand. Never pour back what you haven't used. You will contaminate the whole jar.

Last edited by a moderator:
PrincessFiona60 said:
Yes, it's the same thing.

Normal Saline (called that because it is the same concentration of sodium chloride that blood has)

You need a quart jar with a lid.

Wash covered saucepan, teaspoon measure, 2 or 4 cup measure, a metal spoon and the quart jar with lid in hot soapy water and rinse well, the dishwasher works too.

Boil 6 cups of water in a covered pan for 20 minutes.

Pour 4 cups of boiled water into the clean jar.

Add 2 teaspoons of salt to the jar and mix well.

Cover the jar with lid, note the date and store covered in the fridge for not more than one week.

I actually canned mine in a hot water bath and am storing them in the linen closet with the first aid kit. That way I have it on hand. Never pour back what you haven't used. You will contaminate the whole jar.

This is fascinating. Thanks PF!

PF, we have a handy household hints thread. I'd love to see a sticky of basic first aid stuff. Cuts, burns, typical cooking crap. Would you consider putting one together?

PF, we have a handy household hints thread. I'd love to see a sticky of basic first aid stuff. Cuts, burns, typical cooking crap. Would you consider putting one together?

I could do that. I will work on it next weekend.

MWAH!! Perfect! You could make it easy on yourself and search just posts you've made with key words in them. That might make it just a c&p job in a lot of ways.

I will take a look at my posts. Thanks for the idea, Alix.

My skin is as delicate as a babies bum so I use papaya skin on infected wounds.

My skin is very fragile. All the collagen is gone and just rubbing an itch can break it. I don't dare scratch an itch. If I break my skin, it becomes a major adverse event. :(

My legs get swollen with tight, thin skin. My doctor says its caused by H2O retention. Anyway my cat scratched my shin leaving an inch long gash that got infected. My doc said to use peroxide to clean it and then keep it covered. My nurse sister said never use peroxide. The cut eventually healed okay with antibiotics. I hope my doc is more up to date on other issues.

I don't think that peroxide will make my grey hair blonde. If only...

You are handsome just the way you are.

It will make it a champagne blonde. My hair is salt and pepper grey. It took four tries, but I got it to all white for my son's weddding. I just LUV my hairdresser! Then I let it go back to salt and pepper. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom