Best all around antiseptic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greg Who Cooks

Executive Chef
Just cut myself, no biggie. A Band-Ade now adorns it. When reaching for an antiseptic I found (not to my surprise) that I have 3% hydrogen peroxide and 91% isopropyl alcohol. I grabbed the hydrogen peroxide without thinking about it (I was bleeding) but after I finished the patch job I was puzzled that I didn't really know which would be better. Why do I stock both? I dunno.

I did a little research (Wikipedia: Antiseptic) and discovered that "More common 3% solutions of hydrogen peroxide have been used in household first aid for scrapes, etc. However, even this less potent form is no longer recommended for typical wound care as the strong oxidization causes scar formation and increases healing time." However a notation states that a citation is needed for this assertion.

A forum such as DC attracts a lot of people of diverse knowledge (besides cooking) and I know a few members work in nursing related fields. All of you, what do you think of the following?

(1) 3% hydrogen peroxide, as I said above may may cause scar formation and may increase healing time.

(2) 91% isopropyl alcohol, also known as IPA. Sold in both 91% and 70%, the latter called rubbing alcohol. I buy it as an antiseptic and I figure more is better so I always get the high test.

(3) 99.953% isopropyl alcohol, really the high test stuff! It's practically pure IPA although a USP notation is conspicuously absent. A note about first aid says if you swallow it call the Poison Control Center! :) Nothing about using it as an antiseptic though. I buy it to clean electronic components. Probably not a good idea to use it as antiseptic.

(4) 95% ethyl alcohol, AKA 190 proof Everclear. :cool: This stuff would probably be pretty good as an antiseptic but is much better in punch or cocktails. I make a really great Bloody Mary with Everclear plus spicy tomato juice and a few other ingredients. I love it because it doesn't water down the tomato juice. Vodka is generally about 40% alcohol so it's almost two-thirds water. Who wants water in a Bloody Mary? However, it's probably a waste to use it on a would. Using it after is much better! :mrgreen:

(Warnings: 1. Do not drink straight Everclear because it will burn your mouth and throat. 2. Adjust your measure when making cocktails because it's more than twice as strong as vodka! You don't want to have to peel your guests off the floor.)

(5) Something else? What do you use? Probably should stick to those products available in stores everywhere, not OR stuff.

All opinions are welcome and humor is not off limits! :)

If I could pick only one it would definitely choose the Everclear! ;) Is it an antiseptic or is it a cocktail mixer? It's both! I guess if you hurt on the outside you apply it topically, and if your feelings are hurt you apply it internally! :LOL:

Last edited:
Wow. I just have Neosporin for minor cuts and scrapes. Seems to heal pretty quickly.

Soap and water to clean, Neosporin/Triple Antibiotic ointment for wound care.

NOT anti-bacterial soap...just soap.

I use the generic Neosporin from Walgreens for cuts and owies. I use hydrogen peroxide for taking blood out of stuff. It's the main ingredient in Oxyclean. I remember reading something about HP not being good for cuts, can't remember why, it might be for your reason. Rubbing alcohol is a disinfectant, like prior to an injection, but I wouldn't use it on cuts either, yowch!

Last edited:
I use the generic Neosporin from Walgreens for cuts and owies. I use hydrogen peroxide for taking blood out of stuff. It's the main ingredient in Oxyclean. I remember reading something about HP not being good for cuts, can't remember why. Rubbing alcohol is a disinfectant, like prior to an injection, but I wouldn't use it on cuts either, yowch!

Yeah, it's really hard to outrun that sting. Merthiolate is also no longer advised for disinfecting a wound, but I can't remember why.

PrincessFiona60 said:
Yeah, it's really hard to outrun that sting. Merthiolate is also no longer advised for disinfecting a wound, but I can't remember why.

Is that what we used to call Mercurichrome? The red stuff? My friends' moms used to paint them up with it. I was envious. We never used it.

Last edited:
Is that what we used to call Mercurichrome? The red stuff? My friends' moms used to paint them up with it. I was envious. We never used it.

Yes, that's it. I had an encounter with a cat who scratched me all the way down my legs and Mom put that one, it stung like crazy and my legs looked like a candy cane. And when I cut the very tip of my finger (no bone) off, a school secretary put that on it. I thought the burning would never end.

I always thought Merthiolate was different from Mercurochrome. The latter was in our medicine cabinet because it didn't sting. We never used the former. I graduated to iodine. Now I usually use nothing at all.

I always thought Merthiolate was different from Mercurochrome. The latter was in our medicine cabinet because it didn't sting. We never used the former. I graduated to iodine. Now I usually use nothing at all.

I could be wrong...I often am:rolleyes: Mom used the one that stung.

190 proof Everclear is no longer available in some states. In NC and VA, the highest proof we can get is 151. I reckon it is a good thing. 190 is mighty powerful.

Merthiolate is also no longer advised for disinfecting a wound, but I can't remember why.
Is that what we used to call Mercurichrome?

I know nothing. I used Wikipedia. Both contain mercury, now recognized as a dangerous substance.

Tincture of merthiolate = Thiomersal, an organomercury compound (according to the article). Mercurichrome = Merbromin, an organomercuric disodium salt (according to the article). I remembered that some older antiseptics contained mercury but didn't remember which ones. I guess it's good for killing bacteria but rots your brain cells or something.

--

Hoot, you can't buy Everclear in California either, we evidently have a law restricting sale of alcoholic beverages to no more than 151 proof, about 75%. But I have no problem buying it online and shipping it here is fine. It's not really that expensive either even including shipping, not a whole bunch more than a premium brand vodka (even including shipping).

(Actually I think we can get Everclear 151 here.)

Last edited:
Soap and water to clean, Neosporin/Triple Antibiotic ointment for wound care.

NOT anti-bacterial soap...just soap.

+1

That's the current recommendations for minor wounds. I remember methiolate well. Mom used the peroxide only on scrapes that had a large surface area after washing with soap and water. I keep peroxide and rubbing alcohol around for different things. Peroxide is great for removing blood and body fluids from clothing and alcohol is great for cleaning and disinfecting things like my earrings and to remove ink from clothing.

My vet told me this: not to use hydrogen peroxide if there is a possibility stitches may be required--hydrogen peroxide destroys the edges. So what did she recommend when I asked this (had a dog that had gotten into a very bad fight with another dog, swelling had already started, so had to wait 3-4 days for drains). Saline. To flush the wounds with saline.

My vet told me this: not to use hydrogen peroxide if there is a possibility stitches may be required--hydrogen peroxide destroys the edges. So what did she recommend when I asked this (had a dog that had gotten into a very bad fight with another dog, swelling had already started, so had to wait 3-4 days for drains). Saline. To flush the wounds with saline.

Works for humans, too. I use it in a squeeze bottle to get a good flush, it's how I cleaned Shrek's wound twice a day.

Back
Top Bottom