Best Compliment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Countryhb

Assistant Cook
So I tried my hand this weekend at real BBQ. I made 15 lbs of pork loin back ribs using the "BRITU" recipe. OMG! I heard the best thing I've ever heard at any BBQ..."Don't put any sauce on the ribs. It covers the taste." 15 lbs of ribs were devoured with no more than 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce used! They were absolutely amazing and I was told by several people they were the best BBQ ribs they've ever had! I am SO hooked now. I can't wait for the next weekend I am home for my next "test"...pork butt! Stay tuned...:chef:

Is the recipe on this site? I'd like to try it - perhaps not in the proportions you used - Sounds great!!!

[font=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]This is copied from virtualweberbullet.com...and like I said, I put out BBQ sauce, but it wasn't used![/font]
[font=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial][/font]
[font=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial][/font]
[font=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]Best Ribs In The Universe - The Original Recipe Text[/font]
[font=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]This recipe and cooking procedure won the prestigious title "Best Ribs in the Universe" at the 1996 American Royal Invitational and the 1993 American Royal Open Bar-B-Que contest as the Overall Grand Champion. They also took "Reserve Grand Champion" at the 1994 American Royal Open.[/font]

[font=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]Meat
Premium Standard Farms Loin Baby Back Ribs, 1-3/4 to 2 lb. size. Membrane on the inner (stomach) side removed. All excess fat trimmed.
[/font]

[font=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]Dry Rub
Mix all ingredients thoroughly and store unused in moisture-proof container.
[/font]

[font=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]Ingredients List[/font] [font=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]1 cup sugar
1 cup non-iodized table salt
1/2 cup brown sugar*
[/font][font=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]
[/font][font=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]5 Tablespoons + 1 teaspoon chili powder
2 Tablespoons + 2 teaspoons ground cumin
4 teaspoons Accent (MSG)
4 teaspoons cayenne pepper
4 teaspoons black pepper, freshly ground
[/font] [font=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]Important
4 teaspoons garlic powder
4 teaspoons onion powder
[/font]

[font=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]* Dried out lightly by exposing on cookie sheet room temp, several hours, or in slightly warmed oven.[/font]

[font=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]Sprinkle meat two hours before cooking with rub and allow meat to come to room temperature. Do not over season. A good overall dusting of the spices is all that's needed. The spices will become a nice red, liquid coating after sitting for about an hour, if you used the proper amount.[/font]

[font=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]Basic Cooking Procedure
Smoke ribs in a "water pan" smoker, i.e. Brinkmann or Weber "Smokey Mountain Cooker" (the best!). Start charcoal (10-15 lbs.) and 4 chunks of white oak and 2 chunks of cherry wood (about the size of a tennis ball) at least 1 hour before cooking meat. All fuel should be started in a chimney-style starter, no starter fluid, and all must be gray/white hot. Remove all bark from wood chunks, do not soak.
[/font]

[font=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]Very little smoke will be visible. Don't worry about that! You'll get the flavor.[/font]

[font=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]Use straight water in the water pan and keep full during the entire cooking process. Control oven temperature of cooker by regulating the bottom vents only. Never, ever completely close the top vent! If you don't have one, put a thermometer on your cooker. Cook ribs for 3 hours fairly cool at 225°F on rib racks. After 3 hours lift the lid for the first time, flip the slabs end for end, and upside down, and open all the vents on the smoker wide open.[/font]

[font=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]Temperature of the cooker should rise into the 250-275°F range. Peek every half hour to monitor doneness. Ribs will be finished when fairly brown in color and the meat has pulled down the long bones at least 3/4 of an inch (usually another 1 to 2 hours). Remove from cooker and sauce both sides before cutting individual ribs.[/font]

[font=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]I like K.C. Masterpiece sweetened even more (5 parts sauce, 1 part honey), and so do the judges![/font]

[font=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]This basic cooking procedure is probably the most important of all, and works well with other meats as well. Forget about how much smoke is coming out of the cooker. If you've got the wood you like in there burning cleanly, the flavor will be in the meat. Smoke is nothing more than a smoke screen, and any coming out the top of the cooker is flavor lost![/font]

[font=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]Ribs to ya! Enjoy.[/font]

BRITU is a good rub, but it is more than a rub, it is a method.

If you find it too salty(which they saw it won't be if the method is done correctly) just cut back on the salt to your liking.

I would definately agree with it being a method, and the method stood up to its moniker! The rub wasn't too salty at all. As a matter of fact, I used the rub the next day on some chicken and people said it was the best BBQ chicken they had ever eaten (we're starved for good BBQ in SoCal).

Countryhb - where in SoCal are you? I know of a tiny little place with great ribs! pm me if you'd like to know about it.

Back
Top Bottom