Best Cooking music?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDP

Senior Cook
While in the kitchen I love to crack open a bottle of wine and listen to the Gypsy Kings. It's great music to cook to.

I like Gypsy Kings too. When I am cooking I usually put on our cable channel that has all music - although there are many types of music to choose - classical, jazz, 70s, 80s, 90s - I usually always pick "Singers and Standards" - my favorite. Oh, and I like the wine too.

i like to listen to both kinds of music. country and western...

j/k.

i'm kinda weird about music. i like to be able to concentrate on it, so i tend to prefer silence or just the noise of the tv when i'm doing most things at home, like cooking. i've always been amazed at people who could read or study while listening to music.

however, i do like to listen to loud, angry music if i'm driving (i'm the guy sitting in traffic, singing at the top of his lungs with the windows rolled up :cool: ), or if i'm skating or skiing.

I allways listen to Jazz... my favorite is Joe Williams, sometimes with the Count Basie Orchestra, sometimes without... but I vary the selections often and love other artists, as well. I also feature a cd every month on my web site, beneath the recipe of the month, and call it "Cookin' Jazz to Cook To!"

The wine goes without saying! :D

Any of a million options, as long as they're (1) singable and (2) danceable.

Gypsy Kings fits (even if I sing completely fake Spanish!)

wine, old country and/or Bochelli - husband always knows something good's coming out of the kitchen when he walks in hearing Bochelli shaking the timbers of the house... ;)

ChefJune said:
I allways listen to Jazz... my favorite is Joe Williams, sometimes with the Count Basie Orchestra, sometimes without... but I vary the selections often and love other artists, as well. I also feature a cd every month on my web site, beneath the recipe of the month, and call it "Cookin' Jazz to Cook To!"

I'll direct my husband to your site.....

We only have jazz on while cooking if we have friends over, it stops us getting into "discussions" about silly things that cause us to rewind other wise our cooking conversations went something like:

Lulu: Uh, I don't need this 3 minute bar bass solo right now, this is meant to be fun
DH; well, its only 2 minutes and 36 six seconds. Its a play on the 16 bar solo he did on the last recording of this, count it, so you're alright, shhh, listen
Lulu: its still too long, skip, skip. And stir that pan, its sticking
DH counts Lulu starts to fume. Pot starts to burn. CD gets changed.

DH has an encaeclopaedic knowledge of jazz (jazz musician who even wrote his undergraduate thesis on Ellington). I am distinctly less knowledgable then him and find what I call man jazz (yep, long, long long, bass and drum solos and mad bumblebee playing) distinctly off putting. Neither of us are much into modern jazz.

we have either singalong eighties music, our dance or chillout when we cook together....he might do jazz, I might do classsical when we are cooking separately. we actually have a special and morbid little tune we wrote called "die little fishies" that we sing to steaming mussels. the mussel cooking ritual just isn't the same without it ;) Our normal jazz comprimise might be jazz standards arranged so that we can sing along to them...but even that causes "discussion" :ROFLMAO:

rofl lulu. mad bumblebees.

could we get a few bars of "die little fishies"? reminds me of roly-poly fish head soup!

Ayrton said:
Any of a million options, as long as they're (1) singable and (2) danceable.

Gypsy Kings fits (even if I sing completely fake Spanish!)

You do that too? I thought I was the only one. I actually found myself dancing and singing happily to a song until my wife informed it was a song about a son pleading to his father to stop beating his mother. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.:blush:

Mad bumblebees. DH's first instument is the sax, luckily he is a good player and not a mad bee....

I can barely believe I admitted the existance of "Die little fishies" (we did used to be serious musicians!), I draw the line and giving the lyrics and notation! ROFL (and blushing)

I like the old standards...Aerosmith, Erik Clapton, BB King, Johnny Winters, the Stones, the Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Jon Bon Jovi, etc.

ChefJune said:

I love jazz too, CJ. Joe Williams is also a favorite of mine.

BC

I love the 80's music. B-52's is great for cleaning up the kitchen (or any room)
But usually I listen to David Bowie, no matter what I'm doing.

When I am in the kitchen cooking I usually turn on the TV to see if the Cooking Channel on. If not I usually listen to the oldies but goodies.

it's jazz for me... 100%.

try out Joe Sample's Invitation for the ultimate cooking & dining mood music... IMO, the most romantic album ever.

or, you can try Shirley Horn's Loving You album... her voice is amazing.

after dinner, put on some Chris Botti Night Sessions... smooth, laid back trumpet.

those all get the job done for me.

I'm like bucytom, I need the tv noise when cooking or silence. If I'm exercising then the music is on! Usually pop music or anything that has a good beat.

Our music tastes are all over the map but the kitchen radio is always tuned to country.

Love the "story" songs. Especially a current one...Brad Paisley's "Fore She Was Mama." Cracks me up.:ROFLMAO:

Yup, kiddies, mom and dad had a life before you came along.

Back
Top Bottom