"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-24-2006, 07:22 AM   #31
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Quote:
You know you still sleep with it.....fess up
Well, its better than a pillow.

Old 03-24-2006, 10:57 AM   #32
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Well Phinz... you got Moe and Curly now, you could get Larry to make it complete!! Just kidding... I think you are right...you are just fine with Sparky and Dixie for the time being!! They surely keep you busy enough

Old 03-24-2006, 11:13 AM   #33
Head Chef

I had a Border Collie and my ex used to do Day Care from our home. The Border Collie would gently 'herd' the children from one corner of the yard to another, then later move them to another corner, only to move them again a little later. It was SO funny...

I think there are many dogs that would make good 'kid friendly' dogs. I'm in agreement with much that has been said here already... I love the lab/shepherd mixes and I have also had good experiences with Corgi's. Very sweet animal... but, just like humans, so much depends on individual differences combined with their environment. Raise him (or her) with love and you'll get plenty back.

Enjoy
Old 03-24-2006, 11:21 AM   #34
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Z
I had a Border Collie and my ex used to do Day Care from our home. The Border Collie would gently 'herd' the children from one corner of the yard to another, then later move them to another corner, only to move them again a little later. It was SO funny...

I think there are many dogs that would make good 'kid friendly' dogs. I'm in agreement with much that has been said here already... I love the lab/shepherd mixes and I have also had good experiences with Corgi's. Very sweet animal... but, just like humans, so much depends on individual differences combined with their environment. Raise him (or her) with love and you'll get plenty back.

Enjoy
Corgi's are so adorable. A lady that works at an antique store here in town raises them. The one of hers I love is called "Opy". They are sweet dogs.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:01 PM   #35
Master Chef

My Maggie Dog was supposedly part border collie, and she did the same thing with our little boy, and with children that came in the greenhouse.
I'll never forget, one day, this little boy was eating an ice cream cone. He was about the same height as she, and she just lapped the ice cream right off the cone. The kid started squalling, but I always kept a big jar of suckers for "good little boys and girls", and that pacified him.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:08 PM   #36
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish
SIZZLIN............ Welcome back!

I think you just described the temperament of my ideal mate. If he's single & human, will you give him my #

I would probably go to the shelter with your little one & see which puppy you all fall in love with. My friend had the most loving, adorable, quiet, long hair, thick coat, dog. Can't think of the name right now. (Big help, right.) She wasn't a small dog, but you couldn't help fall in love with her. She always sat next to me, followed me around, and if I stopped petting her, she would put her paw on my knee. (Got a little monotonous after a while, lol, but what a smart, cutie.) I wish I could think of the breed. Her name was Miko.

Here are a few links I hope will help.

http://www.dog-breeds.net/

http://www.dog-breeds.net/Dog_Breeds_Directory.htm
if I find one you willing to pay the adoption fees? You know that he may or may come neutered
Old 03-24-2006, 12:09 PM   #37
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Sounds like a springer spaniel.

Look like this?
No it had really short hair.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:21 PM   #38
Head Chef

Bring your kids up starting with a puppy (I actually prefer rescue dogs, but you can get rescue puppies sometimes) and it won't matter how big the dog gets because they'll be able to grow with the dog and it won't scare them.

Ever thought about a German Shepherd Dog or a mix of one? Smart, easily trained, protective of the family and a lot of fun.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 12:22 PM   #39
Executive Chef

the hot dog is pretty friendly
Old 03-24-2006, 12:24 PM   #40
Head Chef

If you're talking about dachsunds, they're notorious for being *very* yappy. I've not met one yet who wasn't.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote