"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-24-2006, 12:29 PM   #41
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinz
If you're talking about dachsunds, they're notorious for being *very* yappy. I've not met one yet who wasn't.
One of my brothers had one of those and it was def. a yapper and it used to pee whenever it got excited............just had to hope you weren't holding it when it did

Old 03-24-2006, 12:33 PM   #42
Executive Chef

I was actually being facetious and refering to the food item...most kids like em. I'm a cat person so I have no valid opinion on this topic. Huskies are beautiful, but that does not mean they are good around kids. Probably the old fashioned mutt like the mixed kitty, is the best adjusted critter around the family.

Old 03-24-2006, 12:42 PM   #43
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
the hot dog is pretty friendly
They look friendly to me too, Robo
Old 03-24-2006, 12:47 PM   #44
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
I really have to agree with the Pembroke Welsh Corgi. I have one and she is the BEST dog I have ever had. My dad says the same thing, and he has had several dogs, of all different breeds. If you want a larger dog then i would recomment a lab or golden, but it sounds like you wanted something a bit smaller. Small dogs I have had good luck with are Corgis, Shelties, and mini-Schnauzers. I'm also partial to terriers, but you have to be careful about selecting the right terrier if you want an easily trainable dog.

I have a jack russel terrier mix, that is the swetest dog, but she is very stubborn, a trait common among jacks. They tend not to listen to verbal commands well unless taught from an early age. They also tend to be very high-energy dogs.

I like cairn terriers, and have heard many good things about them, but have never owned one myself. Another breed I like a lot is the Italian greyhound. smaller than your normal greyhounds, and swet dogs from my expriences with them.

I would stay away from hound puppies b/c they howl all through the night while they are being crate trained. They have a lot of personality, but can get very loud.

I'll say one more time... Corgi. They are very people-centric dogs. They like to play when you want to play, they sleep when you sleep, they like to cuddle with you when you're in the mood for that, and they always love attention. Not jumpy dogs, and our Corgi has never barked once.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:05 PM   #45
Senior Cook

I have had several labs and they are sooo good with kids, but they are not really a small dog... but, soooo even tempered, and train sooo easily!
Old 03-24-2006, 01:06 PM   #46
Head Chef

Beagles are often said to make wonderful kid's dogs but their "voice" cannot be controlled. I agree that terriers are frequently too hyper and they live to dig! I'm a poodle person but wouldn't recommend the breed for small children. How much grooming are you willing to do? How much shedding can you live with? Bearded Collies are sweet gentle dogs but a bit on the large side. Cockers are good with children but you have to watch their ears - the ear flaps are very long and heavy so they are prone to ear problems. I agree with the Golden recommendation, my son has two of them, one is a therapy dog and extremely stable. They are sisters and have been together all their lives but while one is calm and steady the other is a complete ditz though loveable. There are some new "designer" breeds that look good - "Labradoodle" "Schnoodle" come to mind.

But each dog is an individual and breed guidelines are generality. Some pound puppies have abuse issues.

Good luck!
Old 03-24-2006, 01:53 PM   #47
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish
They look friendly to me too, Robo
Hey thats the dog I truely want but its way out of our price range for a dog. I've been in love with them since the movie "Milo & Otis". They are suppose to be really good family dogs too.

I want to thank everyone for your wonderful advice and for sharing the stories about your animals and those animals of your family and friends. You truely helped me out. Some breeds I hadn't considered or had thought about but the cost factor had steered me away plus I really would like to adopt an animal from a shelter and save its life. Who knows we may get lucky and the breed we're thinking about will be there. No matter.....as long as its a loving, loyal, mellow family dog then she'll be coming home with us. We'll talk to the animal coordinator after our youngest finds one he likes to see what the breeds disposition is, health concerns, etc... then we'll take her outside and see how she interacts with all of us. I'm pretty excited actually. We'll take him at Easter time to the shelters. Thanks again everyone!
Old 03-24-2006, 02:02 PM   #48
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlininIN
Hey thats the dog I truely want but its way out of our price range for a dog.
http://www.ohiopugrescue.com/

Rescue a pure breed. Oftentimes you get a dog that has been house trained, doesn't chew and was given up for one reason or another. I know plenty of people who have rescued Greyhounds, Jack Russell Terriers and Golden Retrievers. Pugs are good dogs. My friends who have them swear by them.

Seriously. Check out pug rescue if you want one.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 02:12 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

We have two shelter mutts and they are great. One a golden/border collie mix (we think) and the other a lab/springer mix.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:13 PM   #50
Master Chef

Phinz............they are so absolutely adorable. But after reading about them that type of dog wouldn't fit our lifestyle. We attend a lot of baseball games, camp, walk, etc.... and we need a dog that can travel around with us. These lil guys/gals can't take the heat unfort. But ohhhhhhh they are soooo cute.