"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-23-2006, 05:54 PM   #1
Master Chef

Best kid friendly dog?

Ok....I've tried to research this but for some reason I'm not having any luck. We've finally moved into our final home. This will be our 3rd and final total remodel project. Anyway, DH and our youngest have finally worn me down and I've agreed to a dog. I was hesitant because you know who would be the one to be tending to its needs. But for the last month or so I've really thought long and hard and I'm really ok with this. Ok....so I'll stop babbling. I don't think we want a purebreed as they seem to have a lot of health problems you have to watch out for and treat when they arise. Seems like the mix breeds have less health issues. What breeds are the best for kids. Our youngest will be 7 but is on the small size....more like a 5 year old. He doesn't do too well with hyper dogs or dogs on the larger size.....as they scare him. What we'd really like to find is one that is well behaved and trains easily. One thats only the small to lower end of medium size. THe kind of dog that'll just kick back unless you wanna play or take it for a walk. One that no matter where you go he's by your side. I am adimant that I don't want any hyper dog that barks at any noise.....you know those yappy kind of dogs. Sorry to all the owners who have them I hope I haven't offended you.

Old 03-23-2006, 06:05 PM   #2
Everymom

Hmmm...think you might have work ahead of you to find the right dog. As far as breeds go, look for something with Labrador or Golden Retriever in the mix. Their temperaments are by far the best with kids. Very tolerant dogs. If you are looking for a dog that will be mellow, there are some tests you can do with puppies to see what they will be like. Stuff like holding them on their backs and seeing how long before they struggle to get back upright (longer means more mellow), and there are some other ones too. I can't remember what the other ones are, Ken might though, I'll ask him.

Avoid most terrier breeds as they are hyper, also Border collies as they will need a TON of exercise or they get a bit squirrelly.

Old 03-23-2006, 06:06 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Hmm, I am not sure if you can definetely pinpoint the character or disposition of certain breed. There can be general tendencies but there are always exceptions. I have known a few beagles but they all had extremely different personalities. The best thing you can do, IMO, is to spend a little time with the "candidates" and observe their behaviours.
If I risk to pick certain breed for your needs, I would say Scottish Terrier. They are small, but has the big dog like mentality, very calm, distinguished, and don't yap about like many toy dogs...
Old 03-23-2006, 06:30 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I agree with Alix. Both are very sweet and gentle dogs.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:34 PM   #5
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Most dogs with "retriever" in the name are great. If you're looking for a bit smaller dog, I've heard good things about spaniels and collies as well.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:36 PM   #6
Master Chef

A collie mix is a good choice. My old Maggie dog was wonderful with Erik when he was little. One afternoon, after he'd gotten out of day-care, I was fixing supper and looked out the kitchen window to check on him. He was sound asleep, flopped right over Maggie as if she were a floor pillow. Her head was up, looking very proud and protective of her little boy.

If you go to the pound, look for a dog who will meet your eyes. Sometimes they are the ones who pick you out.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:58 PM   #7
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
A stuffed animal is the best. I had a dog. Puff. BIG nose and very soft. Best dog in the world I say!
Old 03-23-2006, 07:01 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Only two words necessary...CHOCOLATE LAB !!!

We love ours, and she is sooo mellow around kids...Try the various rescue services first and you might get lucky- We did!
Old 03-23-2006, 07:09 PM   #9
Sous Chef

I agree about the labs and retrievers, and I really agree about the rescues!

I am the proud owner of a Miniature Pinscher, and I can say with little hesitation that this is not a breed for families with little ones. They are very energetic and nervous little fellows, and even if they are raised with kids, I'm sure that the combination of their energy levels and children's levels might be a bit much for a dog that high strung to begin with. I love him to pieces, and our vet tells us that he's the most well adjusted Min Pin he's ever seen, but I firmly believe it's because we have a quiet home with only adults.

Rescue and shelter dogs need your help. If you're ready for the responsibility of a dog, they make the greatest companions you could ever want to have.

BC
Old 03-23-2006, 07:13 PM   #10
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
I just want to say.... I was 13 when I had the stuffed dog.