Best Pizza in the U.S.A. Is in THIS City

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
Best Pizza in the U.S.A. Is in THIS City

The best pizza in the entire United States is not in New York City. Or Chicago. It's in Phoenix, Arizona. That's the word from New York food critic Ed Levine who just wrote the book, "Pizza: A Slice of Heaven." This mouth-watering, just-have-to-get-it pizza is from Pizzeria Bianco in downtown Phoenix. "In many ways, it's the definition of a perfect pizza," Levine told The Arizona Republic in an interview. When he first ate it while researching his book, he said, "I was blown away."

While this is great news for the little pizzeria in Phoenix, those in the Big Apple are none too pleased. "I know it's not true," L. Goldberg, one of the partners in Totonno's Pizzeria Napolitano, boasted to the Republic. Her pizzeria is a descendant of a place called Lombardi's, which was the first licensed pizzeria in America, founded 1905. "It's the water. New York's got the best water. And yeast," she insisted. "Does he cook over coal? We use coal." No, he does not. The stove is wood-fired at Bianco's. But New Yorkers take heart: Owner Chris Bianco was born in the Bronx. "He grew up here, he learned to make pizza here, that makes him one of us," Nick Angelis of Nick's Pizza in uptown Manhattan exclaimed to the Republic.

So if you can't make it to Phoenix, what's the best national pizza chain? For the second consecutive year, that would be Papa Murphy's Take 'N' Bake Pizza, according to Restaurants and Institutions magazine. It operates 850 restaurants in 28 states with plans to open another 100 locations soon. American City Business Journals reports that these rankings are based on customer opinions on food quality, menu variety, value, reputation, service, atmosphere, cleanliness, and convenience. Some 200 of the nation's largest pizza chains were part of the survey.

Ok,

I have lived in AZ, NY, and CO and I have to say that AZ pizza sucks and NY pizza rocks and the only 2 places in CO that have decent pizza are 1 place where the guy comes from NY and makes awesome pizza and......

Papa Murphy's

LOL.. yep, Papa Murphy's is the only decent place to get pizza around here too.

You know the other thing that bugs me to no end is that the only place that does pizza and wings are places in NY and now after living there I want some wings with my pizza and I can't get it! Well, I can but I have to drive 45 min. the opposite way of the pizza place for it.

I live in Chicago and its not easy to find a great pizza place. Most of them are average. In fact the really good places have prices that are through the roof. $one place was $36 for a deepdish with 3 ingredients. It was very good. But not worth the money. :neutral:

wow $36? that is steep. I just really like the size of NY pizza - its enormous with the thin crust and grease. Geesh now my mouth is watering!

no papa murphy's around here. really good pizza is very hard to find here since all we seem to have are pizza chains.

middie said:
no papa murphy's around here. really good pizza is very hard to find here since all we seem to have are pizza chains.

Middie - there's a little deli that has made pizza the same way since I was a little girl - it's called Maxim's and I believe it's on East 185th (not sure about the east part) but it's near the end of Pasnow Avenue in Euclid. The same man owns it. It's a neat little deli too.

-DEADLY SUSHI- said:
I live in Chicago and its not easy to find a great pizza place. Most of them are average. In fact the really good places have prices that are through the roof. $one place was $36 for a deepdish with 3 ingredients. It was very good. But not worth the money. :neutral:

Really? I have the total opposite opinioin. Have you ever been to Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinders? C-Pog for short, or Connie's Pizza? And Pizzeria Uno and Pizzeria Due (i want to say on Wabash? but i don't think that's right) are good. I live in Northwest Indiana originally, and only one place that beats chicago pizza, called Rosati's.

I havent been to Chicago Pizza or Oven Grinders. Connies is good but expensive. Pizza Uno is way over priced and I dont care for theirs. I dont actually go into Chicago. I live by Ohare and that is too close to the city for my taste. I hate going downtown. Traffic and the expense of parking is just not fun for me. :rolleyes:

we usually just train in, it's so much cheaper than driving, and you dont have to hassle with traffic.south shor is a blessing.

Cpog is somewhere on the north side, i think, so maybe not such a trek for you.

Back
Top Bottom