"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-12-2016, 07:19 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

DH works in an urban school system with a lot of kids on the free lunch program. They have salad bars in the school cafeterias. They're not all uniformly terrible these days.

I don't remember much about school lunch. Growing up, sometimes I brought lunch and sometimes I bought it.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:31 PM   #12
Master Chef

I used to walk to school every day with my home packed lunch because we had no cafeteria at my small private school. In the morning I'd pass the public school with all the delicious smells of the cafeteria getting ready for lunch, and think about my cold sandwich and fruit.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:49 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Cheese zombies served with tomato soup and a salad. Best lunch ever!

These are rapidly disappearing from school lunch menus and need to be placed on the endangered foods list imo.

What is a cheese zombie? I do not recall that. We had Walking Tacos at one of my schools that I worked at, but AFAIK, mine didn't walk very far before it got et. They put taco meat, shredded cheese, and whatever else was around into a tiny bag of Fritos. Saved on dishwashing.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:50 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Peanut butter cookies! Usually the only thing edible in the entire cafeteria
Old 07-12-2016, 07:57 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Best School Cafeteria Food

School cafeteria pbcs, and Snickerdoodles, are the best!
Old 07-12-2016, 07:58 PM   #16
Master Chef

I much preferred taking my lunch rather than eat in the school cafeterias, so I don't really know what the food was like. Except on tamale Fridays in middle school - then my friends and I would buy. Fifty cents for a tamale and a shake.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:26 PM   #17
Sous Chef

When I was in grade school, I lived with my grandmother and went to the Catholic school next door. She was the head cook the Holy Redeemer Catholic High School cafeteria across the parking lot from the grade school. She started working earlier than I started school. Every morning I went to the cafeteria with her and she put me to work with small prep tasks. When it was time for me to go to class I walked across to school.

At lunch time I walked back to the high school and she fed me whatever I had helped prepare that morning. Many evenings, dinner was leftovers from the cafeteria.

I thought cafeteria food was the greatest on earth. And I know it was all made from scratch by Grandma, Mrs. Loretta, and Miss Connie (with a little help from Kathy).
Old 07-12-2016, 08:49 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
DH works in an urban school system with a lot of kids on the free lunch program. They have salad bars in the school cafeterias. They're not all uniformly terrible these days.

I don't remember much about school lunch. Growing up, sometimes I brought lunch and sometimes I bought it.

One of my former high schools has a food court, very similar to what you would find at a mall: pizza, salad bar, tacos, etc., for a price, along with the regular food line for free and reduced lunch kids or whoever else wants it, with perfectly good stuff. They also make and provide food for the elementary and middle schools in the area.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:45 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
When I was in grade school, I lived with my grandmother and went to the Catholic school next door. She was the head cook the Holy Redeemer Catholic High School cafeteria across the parking lot from the grade school. She started working earlier than I started school. Every morning I went to the cafeteria with her and she put me to work with small prep tasks. When it was time for me to go to class I walked across to school.

At lunch time I walked back to the high school and she fed me whatever I had helped prepare that morning. Many evenings, dinner was leftovers from the cafeteria.

I thought cafeteria food was the greatest on earth. And I know it was all made from scratch by Grandma, Mrs. Loretta, and Miss Connie (with a little help from Kathy).
What a lovely story Silversage, thanks for sharing.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:18 AM   #20
Executive Chef

To me, good and school cafeteria food should not be mentioned in the same sentence! Brown bagger here too.

Tags
food