"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-27-2011, 04:33 PM   #101
Chef Extraordinaire

schmierkase. Timothy, given that I'm a linguist, I have a license to write definitions <g>. In linguistics, there is also that class of words that are called "family speak." If BuckyTom's family uses the term for MW, mayo, or other things that spread, then that is a word that is part of BT's family speak. In my family, "boo" means a pan that is left soaking in the oven. And, we have others that are words we understand, but are not in the dictionary.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:35 PM   #102
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Your igloo would disappear in a short time in the Atacama. I don't think a lemon tree would make it. Just lichens and small cacti survive there.
Darn--I knew there was a problem when I checked with FedEx about shipping the igloo. Okay, I'll just have to stay put and dream of having a Meyer lemon tree...but, I do have FRESH eggs and the girls probably wouldn't survive living in that climate.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:56 PM   #103
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Darn--I knew there was a problem when I checked with FedEx about shipping the igloo. Okay, I'll just have to stay put and dream of having a Meyer lemon tree...but, I do have FRESH eggs and the girls probably wouldn't survive living in that climate.
Just make sure that Fed Ex goes by weight and as you go further south the igloo should weigh less and less...diminishing shipping rates...
Old 12-27-2011, 04:57 PM   #104
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Just make sure that Fed Ex goes by weight and as you go further south the igloo should weigh less and less...diminishing shipping rates...
Old 12-27-2011, 05:01 PM   #105
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Now that you've mentioned it, definitely FRESH eggs...and high-quality olive oil plus some canola oil...and freshly squeezed lemon juice (sadly, can't pick the lemon off the tree here in SE Ontario...otherwise I'd have a Meyer lemon tree where I could look at it from the window of my igloo).
Aww! My girlfriend has a Meyer Lemon tree growing in her front yard. She lives in Cypres, CA. There are so many lemons, that she lets her neighbors pick as many as they want. The ones that fall to the ground are a nusience as they draw bees and other stinging critters. Every Sunday morning, seh go out and picks a bunch of them and makes a big pitcher of lemonade.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:44 PM   #106
Master Chef

Quote:
schmierkase. Timothy, given that I'm a linguist, I have a license to write definitions <g>. In linguistics, there is also that class of words that are called "family speak." If BuckyTom's family uses the term for MW, mayo, or other things that spread, then that is a word that is part of BT's family speak. In my family, "boo" means a pan that is left soaking in the oven. And, we have others that are words we understand, but are not in the dictionary.
Schmierkase. Oh, dear, don't remind me. I couldn't get it past my nose, and it's a much beloved local cheese. Probably the only cheese I couldn't make reach my mouth.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:50 PM   #107
Chef Extraordinaire

would that also be called a colloquialism, cws?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:57 PM   #108
Executive Chef

Quote:
Thanks for the information. It's not a word in common usage then...
Old 12-28-2011, 06:18 PM   #109
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
would that also be called a colloquialism, cws?
Family speak is limited to the family; a colloquialism is a word or phrase that is used in common-day conversation. I rather doubt if I referred to having a boo in the oven that the average person on the street would know what I meant. Each family has words that mean something within the family (often the result of children learning the language and the words stay) or if the family immigrated--then some words used may be a combination of the word in the new language and the native language.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:24 PM   #110
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks. i've heard the term before but never thought to learn it's exact meaning.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote