Bet you didn't know that

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great thread, very entertaining. I didn't know babies were born without kneecaps. I hope to make a contribution soon.

Great thread, very entertaining. I didn't know babies were born without kneecaps. I hope to make a contribution soon.

Also when they are born with an extra fingeror toe, they just tie the digit off and shut off the blood supply. In a day or so, the finger or toe falls off. No surgery involved. They rarely are connected with a knuckle.
:chef:

I remember getting a 10 meg hard drive in 1984 and wondering what all we would put on it. :D

I remember my sister saying to me one time "Just got a 10 meg hard drive. Of course, I'll never fill it, but it's nice to know I don't have to worry about disc space any more"

Ha! I just installed an UPDATE to Windows that was 19 Megs, compressed!

The larger the storage gets, the larger and more complex the software gets.

My thoughts exactly, Addie.

I take a 3 hour nap almost every day, whenever it happens. Usually from about 3pm to 6pm. Then I get up and start preparing supper.
I want to be like you and Addie when I retire. I hope it can be soon enough to really enjoy it! I know I could be good at it too!

I want to be like you and Addie when I retire. I hope it can be soon enough to really enjoy it! I know I could be good at it too!

The secret to retirement is not to put pressure on yourself. Just go with the flow and only do the things you want to do. :chef:

The secret to retirement is not to put pressure on yourself. Just go with the flow and only do the things you want to do. :chef:

I do that already...:LOL: If I didn't enjoy my job, I would find another one I did like.

It wasn't an instant switch of lifestyle when I retired. At first, I'd wake with no alarm, already light outside and panic, thinking I was late for work.

I still find myself doing the money worrying once in awhile, but I'm slowly getting over that. It's hard to switch gears after working for almost 45 years.

It wasn't an instant switch of lifestyle when I retired. At first, I'd wake with no alarm, already light outside and panic, thinking I was late for work.

I still find myself doing the money worrying once in awhile, but I'm slowly getting over that. It's hard to switch gears after working for almost 45 years.

I had already been collecting Social Security for a couple of years when I got sick and was forced to stop working. I had planned to work until I was 70. Then retire and do volunteer work for the Boston Ballet Company and the Boston Symphony. That way I could get to see all their performaces for free. Didn't happen. :chef:

Best time to book an airline ticket is Wednesday at 1:00 a.m. Amtrak updates its reservations (makes seats available--Amtrak has a 5 bucket ticket system) at 4:00 a.m. EDT.

Xengu, the double-nosed Andean tiger hound, is named after the Amazon tributary. Percy Fawcett, Amazon explorer extraordinaire, told Europeans of this breed of dog, but they did not believe him.

More about Corn:

People throughout the world have tried to maximize the production of food from the very start of the explosion of humans on our beautiful planet. Methods to improve gardening are recorded in our history as far back as 7000 B.C. in what is now Mexico.
"Balsas” teosinte,(Z. mays parviglumis),of southern Mexico, was one of four perennial grasses of the family Poaceae, in pre-Columbian times, and this Teosinte, with clusters of tiny kernels, is the ancestor of modern day "Corn". Through trial and error mostly, ancient humans used the first systems of agriculture to propagate and improve the production of this plant until it became what we all enjoy today as "Corn on the cob".

Hydroponic Unlimited - History Of Hydroponics

(Posted with the permission of the site owner (Me)

More about Corn:

People throughout the world have tried to maximize the production of food from the very start of the explosion of humans on our beautiful planet. Methods to improve gardening are recorded in our history as far back as 7000 B.C. in what is now Mexico.
"Balsas” teosinte,(Z. mays parviglumis),of southern Mexico, was one of four perennial grasses of the family Poaceae, in pre-Columbian times, and this Teosinte, with clusters of tiny kernels, is the ancestor of modern day "Corn". Through trial and error mostly, ancient humans used the first systems of agriculture to propagate and improve the production of this plant until it became what we all enjoy today as "Corn on the cob".

Hydroponic Unlimited - History Of Hydroponics

(Posted with the permission of the site owner (Me)

I once saw a pic of the corn of eons ago next to today's corn. Yesteryears corn was no bigger than my thumb. So glad they improved it. :yum:

Mother kangaroos will toss their "joeys" out of their pouches if they (the mothers) are cornered by a predator, sacrificing their young to save their own lives.

One kernel can produce 800 kernels in about 30 days (you watch the same shows I do on PBS, Rock!).

There is a strain of corn now that grows from seed to harvest in 30 days?

Holy Smokes! You could almost see it moving at that speed.

or am I missing something?

Edit: I think I see. Starting the ears with visable kernals in 30 days. Not harvest quality kernals. 30 days is still pretty darn fast.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom