Bet you didn't know that

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is a strain of corn now that grows from seed to harvest in 30 days?

Holy Smokes! You could almost see it moving at that speed.

or am I missing something?

Edit: I think I see. Starting the ears with visable kernals in 30 days. Not harvest quality kernals. 30 days is still pretty darn fast.
That was info on a PBS show--the ears on our corn don't produce kernels that quickly. Corn needs a lot of fertilizer--we don't, so the corn we plant typically has 4" ears and spotty kernel production. I don't want to do the heavy fertilizing...

That was info on a PBS show--the ears on our corn don't produce kernels that quickly. Corn needs a lot of fertilizer--we don't, so the corn we plant typically has 4" ears and spotty kernel production. I don't want to do the heavy fertilizing...

I think perhaps they meant 30 days from a "Seedling", not from seed.

I've grown a lot of corn, and have never seen ears form with visible kernels in 30 days, no matter what is done to them. I think that is one of the Internets exaggerations.

I think perhaps they meant 30 days from a "Seedling", not from seed.

I've grown a lot of corn, and have never seen ears form with visible kernels in 30 days, no matter what is done to them. I think that is one of the Internets exaggerations.
From the one seed you plant, you get 8000 kernels 30 days from the time that it starts to mature. You can get more than one ear on a plant, but usually only one.

From the one seed you plant, you get 8000 kernels 30 days from the time that it starts to mature. You can get more than one ear on a plant, but usually only one.
That makes a lot more sense when worded that way. Most of the corn I've grown had 2 or three ears per/stalk.

PolishedTopaz said:
Cats can't taste sugar.

Humans can't smell in their sleep.

Then why did the dog with gas wake me from a sound sleep the other night??? :(

taxlady said:
Have you ever heard a dog, or a cat for that matter, fart? I sure as heck have smelled it, but never heard it.

Actually I have, although it is rare! The other night Cooper let out a really loud and long one...funny thing was that one didn't even smell.

Actually, they don't have buttocks, hence, there's nothing to flap and make noise with! (I read this on PawNation). Bet you didn't know that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom