"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-26-2011, 05:03 PM   #81
Chef Extraordinaire

Pearl oysters are a different species than the ones we eat...and, for some reason, pearl oysters are listed as not being one of the edible types. It takes 3-6 years to culture a pearl; cultured pearls outnumber natural pearls re: pearls you can buy.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:46 PM   #82
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Wine cubes: When you have a little leftover wine from dinner, pour it into an ice cube tray and freeze it. "Wine cubes" are perfect to use in making stock and other cooking.

Plus, on a hot summer day, filling a tall glass with them and sipping the melt-off is just plain good!
Leftover wine? What is that?

Old 12-26-2011, 05:54 PM   #83
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
At the risk of setting off World War III (just when a truce has been reached in the mayo versus Miracle Whip controversy), although I wish I could leave dry cat food out for my two boys to eat whenever, I don't feel it's in their best interests health-wise. They are strictly indoor cats so don't have access to any other food. There's a woman who has a program called, "Cat Chat," and her reasoning persuaded me to switch from dry food to wet (canned) food -- said that unlike dogs who are omnivores, cats are "obligate carnivores" and feeding them dry food containing carbs, etc., is bad for the pet. So, I am trying to avoid medical problems for my cats, as well as needing to avoid vet bills, but canned food is certainly less convenient as well as more expensive.
I learned this when I worked for a vet. Not so much that cats need wet food, but that they are carnivores. Dogs became such loyal pets because humans are omnivores. A vegetarian can turn their dog vegetarian as well if they are careful about what they buy. But not cats, not for their health. Cats also have a higher metabolism than dogs, and experimental meds (I'm remembering specifically the flea meds) tend to come out for dogs before they do for cats because it is hard to get the dosage right.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:04 PM   #84
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I don't understand why so many people think it has to be mayo OR Miracle Whip.

I like them both. Sometimes I like egg salad (for instance) with mayo as a more savory dish, and sometimes I like it with MW for a sweeter, spicier flavor.

I do use more mayo, but sometimes I need to stave off the boredom with Miracle Whip for a change.
I, too, have never understood the mayo/MW thing. I grew up on the latter, only off-brand "salad dressing", because it was less expensive than mayo. By the time I was 18 I really didn't like real mayo (and one of my sibs still hates it). I've learned to like real mayo, but I still like MW; preferring one for some uses, the other for others.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:59 PM   #85
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I, too, have never understood the mayo/MW thing. I grew up on the latter, only off-brand "salad dressing", because it was less expensive than mayo. By the time I was 18 I really didn't like real mayo (and one of my sibs still hates it). I've learned to like real mayo, but I still like MW; preferring one for some uses, the other for others.
That is precisely how I think on the issue also, Claire. I eat more MW than Mayo only because I make more things that I like MW in.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:01 PM   #86
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I learned this when I worked for a vet. Not so much that cats need wet food, but that they are carnivores. Dogs became such loyal pets because humans are omnivores. A vegetarian can turn their dog vegetarian as well if they are careful about what they buy. But not cats, not for their health. Cats also have a higher metabolism than dogs, and experimental meds (I'm remembering specifically the flea meds) tend to come out for dogs before they do for cats because it is hard to get the dosage right.
Cats need taurine. The best sources are dairy, eggs, fish, and poultry. Although it is important to muscle development, cats with a taurine deficiency (or a diet devoid of taurine) end up blind in 18 months (if I recall--I read a study on this years ago, that being, the value of adding taurine to dry cat food).
Old 12-27-2011, 01:15 PM   #87
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
That is precisely how I think on the issue also, Claire. I eat more MW than Mayo only because I make more things that I like MW in.
I use MW for egg salad all the time. Mayo for everything else. But I am not one to pass up a sandwich with MW if I am out of mayo. Mayo is very rich. And sometimes I want something milder. so MW it is. When you read the ingredients, mayo has vinegar listed further down then MW. MW has vinegar listed as the second ingredient.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:40 PM   #88
Chef Extraordinaire

miracle whip has taurine in it.

mayo does not.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:45 PM   #89
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
miracle whip has taurine in it.

mayo does not.
For those of you who know as little as I do about taurine, here's some info:
Taurine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Taurine is essential for cardiovascular function, and development and function of skeletal muscle, the retina and the central nervous system"
Old 12-27-2011, 01:56 PM   #90
Chef Extraordinaire

Mayo contains eggs. Eggs contain taurine. So homemade mayo (i use the whole egg) should contain taurine.