Bet you didn't know that

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
schmierkase. Timothy, given that I'm a linguist, I have a license to write definitions <g>. In linguistics, there is also that class of words that are called "family speak." If BuckyTom's family uses the term for MW, mayo, or other things that spread, then that is a word that is part of BT's family speak. In my family, "boo" means a pan that is left soaking in the oven. And, we have others that are words we understand, but are not in the dictionary.

Last edited:
Your igloo would disappear in a short time in the Atacama. I don't think a lemon tree would make it. Just lichens and small cacti survive there.
Darn--I knew there was a problem when I checked with FedEx about shipping the igloo. Okay, I'll just have to stay put and dream of having a Meyer lemon tree...but, I do have FRESH eggs and the girls probably wouldn't survive living in that climate.:rolleyes:

Darn--I knew there was a problem when I checked with FedEx about shipping the igloo. Okay, I'll just have to stay put and dream of having a Meyer lemon tree...but, I do have FRESH eggs and the girls probably wouldn't survive living in that climate.:rolleyes:

Just make sure that Fed Ex goes by weight and as you go further south the igloo should weigh less and less...diminishing shipping rates...:ROFLMAO:

Now that you've mentioned it, definitely FRESH eggs...and high-quality olive oil plus some canola oil...and freshly squeezed lemon juice (sadly, can't pick the lemon off the tree here in SE Ontario...otherwise I'd have a Meyer lemon tree where I could look at it from the window of my igloo).;)

Aww! My girlfriend has a Meyer Lemon tree growing in her front yard. She lives in Cypres, CA. There are so many lemons, that she lets her neighbors pick as many as they want. The ones that fall to the ground are a nusience as they draw bees and other stinging critters. Every Sunday morning, seh go out and picks a bunch of them and makes a big pitcher of lemonade. :chef:

schmierkase. Timothy, given that I'm a linguist, I have a license to write definitions <g>. In linguistics, there is also that class of words that are called "family speak." If BuckyTom's family uses the term for MW, mayo, or other things that spread, then that is a word that is part of BT's family speak. In my family, "boo" means a pan that is left soaking in the oven. And, we have others that are words we understand, but are not in the dictionary.

Schmierkase. Oh, dear, don't remind me. I couldn't get it past my nose, and it's a much beloved local cheese. Probably the only cheese I couldn't make reach my mouth.

Thanks for the information. It's not a word in common usage then...

would that also be called a colloquialism, cws?
Family speak is limited to the family; a colloquialism is a word or phrase that is used in common-day conversation. I rather doubt if I referred to having a boo in the oven that the average person on the street would know what I meant. Each family has words that mean something within the family (often the result of children learning the language and the words stay) or if the family immigrated--then some words used may be a combination of the word in the new language and the native language.

Thanks for the information. It's not a word in common usage then...
I guess that would depend on your background.:yum: I made the jump from BuckyTom's word to Schmierkaese because we often ate "Schmierkaese" but it was used not necessarily for a specific kind of cheese, but rather because of the ability to spread it--my grandmother made it and it wasn't always the same. Real Schmierkaese is described as being similar to cottage cheese, but not the same :ohmy:. Given that my great-grandmother was German, I suspect that is how the word worked its way into my family's vocabulary and my Swedish grandmother's kitchen.

olde timey jewish comedians used to change a word by having it start with a sch to make it sound funnier.

Who would think...two terrabytes!
I just saw this the other day...

did you know, not too long ago, in the 1950s, a 5 Megabyte hard drive was so huge and heavy – it weighed over a TON – that it required a forklift machine to move it around?

Here is that 5 Mb hard drive!

Attachments

• 520x690xDrive-520x690.jpg.pagespeed.ic.R3a8NyUPbx.jpg
    520x690xDrive-520x690.jpg.pagespeed.ic.R3a8NyUPbx.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 143
7.8 years for me, but I bet my average is higher than that because I sleep a lot lol. My bf is jealous because he has trouble sleeping

I sleep whenever my body tells me to. (Thank Heaven for retirement.) Every so often my sleep pattern goes crazy and I sleep in short spurts around the clock. But I don't care. I don't have to get up in the morning and go to work. :chef:

Back
Top Bottom