"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-01-2006, 05:01 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Better than a yard sale or donation

When it came to getting rid of excess "stuff" in our house, we usually set the junque aside for a once-a-year yard sale. That was okay but, as we got older, it was more work than fun even though I organized and priced the items as I set them aside.

Then, we did the accumulation part and took everything to a local thrift store like Salvation Army, etc. That was fine as far it went but, again, it wasn't the ideal solution.

Finally, I think I've discovered the best solution. It's and organization called Freecycle. It was started in Arizona in 2003 and has groups in the U.S., Australia, Canada, Germany, United Kingdom, as well as others. It's free and the members post items they want to get rid of or want. All the items are offered for free. All the members have to do is to make arrangements with the person offering to pick up whatever is being given away.

We've managed to get rid of all sorts of crazy items. Earlier this summer we got rid of a huge pile of old broken bricks to someone who wanted them for a landscape/gardening project.

It's amazing what people want and what people give away. Everything from old doors and windows from a remodeling project, to 4-foot square pieces of plate glass, you name it. I guess it's true that one man's trash is another man's treasure.

If you need something, want to give something away that's cluttering your space up, or want to look into starting your own Freecycle group, go to this link: www.freecycle.org.

I couldn't be happier.

Old 10-01-2006, 05:27 PM   #2
Head Chef

Katie thank you for your suggestion about getting rid of unwanted things and making sure that they go to a good cause.

I live in Southern California and I am always donating things to the Goodwill.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 06:11 PM   #3
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
I also use FreeCycle, and it has been great. I've both given stuff away as well as received stuff.

Two thumbs up from me!

Also, I just discovered Craig's List. There is an option for free stuff there, too. I just got a couple things from there as well. It can get state specific, and if you are near a major city, specific to that city.

They started in San Francisco, and if you just type in craigslist.org you go to the SF site, but you can link to local from there.

Another great resource to either get rid of stuff or find some good stuff!
Old 10-01-2006, 06:23 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog
I also use FreeCycle, and it has been great. I've both given stuff away as well as received stuff.

Two thumbs up from me!

Also, I just discovered Craig's List. There is an option for free stuff there, too. I just got a couple things from there as well. It can get state specific, and if you are near a major city, specific to that city.

They started in San Francisco, and if you just type in craigslist.org you go to the SF site, but you can link to local from there.

Another great resource to either get rid of stuff or find some good stuff!
Thanks, BigDog, for the information on Craig's List. Unfortunately we live in an area where daylight has to be trucked in and the nearest Craig's List group is 6 hours away. But I'll keep looking in case one pops up nearer.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:36 PM   #5
DC Grandma

I used the FreeCycle when DH broke his leg and asked for paper back books. One man even delivered them to the Rehab. Home and then when I fell in DH's room and broke my hip I read his books . when he finish one he sent it to the first floor to me. He was on the second floor..
Dove

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 08:51 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dove
I used the FreeCycle when DH broke his leg and asked for paper back books. One man even delivered them to the Rehab. Home and then when I fell in DH's room and broke my hip I read his books . when he finish one he sent it to the first floor to me. He was on the second floor..
Dove
Holy concatenation of catastrophes! I hope that's all in the past. Couldn't you at least arrange conjugal rooms?!?