"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 05:41 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I've seen people going down the road doing all sorts of things, holding a doggie or kitty in their lap, putting on makeup, lighting their cigarettes, yelling at the kids in the back seat, doing all of the above and talking on the phone. Common sense doesn't seem to be a commodity that is used by much of the populace these days. My dh was rear-ended by a girl talking on her phone, but we've been hit by other people before and after phones were in wide use - people just not paying attention to what is important. I keep my phone with me for my convenience and people who call me know I will call back when I get to a safe place to return the call.

Old 07-05-2006, 05:53 PM   #12
Master Chef

Ironchef - was that supposed to be funny?

And BlueCat - How did you manage to survive before cell phones became so popular. I guess you would have died without all the information you were able to gather while you were driving. And able to gather it without endangering other drivers.

Sorry - but I will NEVER EVER condone cell-phone use except for emergencyeis. It's idiocy in its highest form. I mean, good Lord, you can't have a conversation at home with your friends?? You can't figure out what to buy at the store before you leave home??

Someone please tell me how I managed to grow up without a cell phone?? I must have been really deprived.

Old 07-05-2006, 05:56 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking

And BlueCat - How did you manage to survive before cell phones became so popular. I guess you would have died without all the information you were able to gather while you were driving. And able to gather it without endangering other drivers.

Sorry - but I will NEVER EVER condone cell-phone use except for emergencyeis. It's idiocy in its highest form. I mean, good Lord, you can't have a conversation at home with your friends?? You can't figure out what to buy at the store before you leave home??

Someone please tell me how I managed to grow up without a cell phone?? I must have been really deprived. (You morons.)
Lady, you're out of control!
Old 07-05-2006, 05:58 PM   #14
Master Chef

Mish - I apologize if my comments offended you, but trust me - no road rage here. "Road Rage" is something I definitely am more than opposed to - regardless of the reason. While I never use my cell phone unless my car is out of order, I don't inflict my feelings on other drivers. What would be the point?

If you feel that drivers should be able to chat on the phone while they're driving & put other drivers in jeopardy, that's certainly your right. This is America.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:09 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking

Someone please tell me how I managed to grow up without a cell phone?? I must have been really deprived.
you are an older person and admitted you are from a rural area...not everyone shares you're same tree of thinking

ive been using cell phones since i was 15 years old and come from an urban area.....im 25 now and still use them

cell phones are not idiotic...that is a a VERY strange comment...just how rural are you?

driving while using a cell phone is dangerous, period....but the rest of the things you are saying are just strange
Old 07-05-2006, 06:19 PM   #16
Master Chef

Mylegsbig - I am 50. And somehow I've managed to live an unbelievably fantastic & wonderful life without the use of a cell phone for the entirety of that life until 2 years ago. Go figure. I only use my cell phone for car/household emergencies. Go figure.

If you can't function without speaking to someone on a telephone every 10 minutes, then, quite frankly, you need to re-examine what's important to you. I managed an entire Manhattan Import/Export company without the use of a cell phone. Go figuire. Duh.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:26 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Bottom line re Better to drive drunk than on a cell phone -- either way, you kill someone, and you will be held accountable.

I don't appreciate the 'morons' remark and angry responses to every post, BC. Get a punching bag!
Old 07-05-2006, 06:38 PM   #18
Master Chef

Mish - I NEVER said that it was better to drive drunk than on a cell phone. NEVER. That's a blatant lie. And I never would say such a thing. EVER.

And I won't retract the "moron" statement for those people who feel it's necessary to talk on their cell-phones without pulling over. And that excuse about no place to pull over is ridiculous. At some point - whether you're in city or country - there's a place to pull over.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:54 PM   #19
Sous Chef

You have more rage than most drivers, BreezyCooking. I wouldn't want to be as happy as you.

BC
Old 07-05-2006, 06:55 PM   #20
Executive Chef

I briefly hear this story on the news today too. Obviously it's best to pull over when you talk on the phone, or let the passenger answer your phone for you.