Better To Drive Drunk Than On Cell Phone?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alix said:
Y'know Andy...I could use a karma hit, Ken is creeping up on me. :LOL:

You darn sure got some from me!!!
Unintentional or not, there have been some unfair and downright ugly things said here. Everyone has their opinions about cell phone use. Me, I take my husbands with me in case of emergency OR, if I'm going to the store for HIM and I have to ask him a question on what exactly he is needing, for example when he is fixing a water leak or something like that and can't go himself, I go and if I'm not sure on which pipe or product he needs, I will describe and read the labels to him. I don't go to restaurants, but, I would think that common courtesy would be to turn your phone off, just as you would in church, the theater etc... But, what do I know, I never go anywhere anyway:LOL:
As far as people pulling over when their phone rings, that's not always possible, as if you have 20 cars on the highway on the phone, can you imagine the congestion that would cause when they try to get back on the road, or the accidents it will cause? Hands free is the best way, if you have to talk on the phone while driving. I'm not saying that anyone on here is wrong, no way!! I'm just stating my opinion:mrgreen:

I was going to bring up the same point of talking to passengers in the car as well. I really don't see the difference either. I understand that if you're taking your eyes off the road to dial a cell phone or fumble to find it, that's different and unacceptable. People do often have a bunch of kids that they're trying to supervise via the rear view mirror, and that can't be less distracting than talking on a cell phone. There's no solution to this, since there aren't rules against having passengers, but it's just a point to be made. I also can't understand why we have to eat while driving either. I've driven past people who are reading paperback novels while driving more often than I can count. I've also seen people put their hair up, put their mascara on, floss their teeth and even shave.

I also see plenty of people in stores and restaurants who allow their kids to screech and throw tantrums and run like banshees. None of that is courteous to your fellow man, but we're expected to overlook it because Junior is just going through a stage, or is seen by his parents as just so cute that we all must just love to have them jumping in the booth behind us when we're trying to have a nice dinner out. It truly is a matter of courtesy. Many people think it's only the other guy who needs to practice it.

BC

I used to ignore the cutesy little kids that aren't being watched by their parents. Now I tell the waiter or waitress that I want a seat somewhere far away.

BlueCat said:
It truly is a matter of courtesy. Many people think it's only the other guy who needs to practice it.

BC

Isn't that the sad truth? I say we begin a trend here on DC of being as courteous as possible. It is possible to state your opinion without being negative or slamming others and I see our members do it everyday. Perhaps, as large as our community is, we can be a trend setter and inspire other boards to the same heights.

Sorry to hijack this thread, back to discussing the cell phone etc.

I think they are equally unsafe. In some parts of where I am from you can get a ticket for talking on your cell phone while driving. You can also be charged for drunk driving when you are under the legal limit. These laws are good, but they could even be a bit more strict in my opinion.

:lucky:

Common courtesy isn't that common.

I feel like it's fine to talk on your cell phone. I think they should be illegal while driving, unless it's hands free. Like many have stated, it's easy to blame cells since there are worse distractions in the car but if cells were illegal it would be one less distraction to have.

I use my phone, mostly to talk to my sister who lives in NYC. However, I don't talk while driving or to take time away when I'm doing something with my kids. Sometimes I chat with her at the grocery store, it's almost like she's with me. While I'm shopping and talking, I still say "excuse me" when I walk infront of someone studying the shelves. I also put the phone down when it's time for me to pay. I give the checker the courtesy of my attention, a smile and a "thank you." I think you can still have manners with a cell and there are plenty of people who are still jerks without them.

I think there are many restaurants starting to ban cell phones. I'm not all that bothered by them but with two young kids, it's not like we have many chances to go out. :LOL: When we do, I will take my cell phone, in case there's an emergency with the babysitter but I'll also have the courtesy of putting the phone on vibrate.

I think what this boils down to is that people are people. Where ever you are there are bound to be nerds, airheads, cute kids, jerks, crazies and everyone else. My husband always notices when the house is dirty but never when it's clean. Maybe all we notice anymore are the people who are rude and not the ones who are nice.:)

Whew! I need a pick me up after reading this thread. I think I'll go look at our sleeping kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom