"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 02:42 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Angry Better To Drive Drunk Than On Cell Phone?!?

Quote:
They studied 40 volunteers who used a driving simulator four times while undistracted, using a handheld cell phone, using a hands-free cell phone and while intoxicated to a 0.08 percent blood-alcohol level the average legal level of impairment in the United States after drinking vodka and orange juice. Three study participants rear-ended the simulated car in front of them. All were talking on cellphones and none was drunk, the researchers said.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13621877/?GT1=8307

Old 07-05-2006, 03:15 PM   #2
Master Chef

Thanks for this link. I can't even begin to tell you how annoying & pissed off I get with MORONS AND IDIOTS talking on the phone while driving. I mean really, if you have even one working brain cell, how could you not see that this is distractive.

Personally, over the last few years I've lost count of the times I've nearly been broadsided, head-to-head hit, you-get-the-drift, by the CELL PHONE MORONS.

Whether it be on the road, in the parking lot, in the supermarket, whatever - DO THE WORLD A FAVOR & GET ORGANIZED OR GET A LIFE. I'm 50 years old, & somehow I managed to have a fabulous childhood, teenage-hood, & adult-hood without CELL PHONES.

Yes, my husband & I do currently have cellphones. We got them about 4 years ago only because we moved to a rural area & have older vehicles. In the 4 years we've owned them, we've only used them to call AAA or the electric or phone companies when power has been out. I don't need to take "pictures" from my phone. Nor do I need to receIve "text messages" from my favorite TV programs. I personally believe that those that do are "pod people" - LOL!!!!

Frankly, I really don't understand all this cell-phone idiocy. Just something else draining consumer resources for no good reason.

Old 07-05-2006, 03:27 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

Well now lets know blame the cell phones for peoples idiocity. Cell phones can be a very valuable tool. Like you mentioned Breezy, you used it to call AAA. They also come in handy from numerous other reasons.

We had friends driving to our house for the first time. They got lost. They were able to call us from the car (the passenger called, not the driver) and we were able to direct then to our house. Without the cell phone that probably would have added an extra hour or more onto their trip, not to mention the frustration factor.

I was driving once and saw a drunk driver in front of me. He was weaving all over the place and speeding up and slowing down. It was just a matter of time before he crashed. I was able to use my cell phone to call the police and they got him off the road.

I was in the supermarket and my wife realized we needed something that was not on my list. She was able to call me to have me pick it up instead of waiting for me to get home then sending me out again.

These are just a few of the many many reason that cell phones are a great thing and not.

Oh Breezy, you said you have no need to take a picture on your cell phone. Next time you are in a car accident (hopefully never) a cell phone camera comes in very handy for taking photos of the damage as well as the surrounding area. This can really be useful in court.

There is nothing idiotic about cell phones, it is the way people use them that is idiotic.

This article does not surprise me at all. People who talk on their cell phones while driving are just asking to get into an accident.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:40 PM   #4
Everymom

I have to say I am with you on this one GB. People should be more careful how they use them, but they very definitely have a place.

When I was in an accident I was able to phone Ken and let him know why I was late and that I was OK. He would have been very worried otherwise as I was working an evening shift that night. Its also been a great comfort to me to have when I am travelling on the highways with just my girls. Good to know help is just a couple of keystrokes away.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:15 PM   #5
Master Chef

Uh, guys - take a deep intelligence breath here - I (normally as anyone else would) have a problem with using your frickin cell phone on the road. All you need to do is PULL OVER TO THE SIDE OF THE ROAD WHILE USING IT.

I will continue to misunderstand why this is such a problem. And frankly, unless you or your passenger are bleeding to death, I don't understand why this is such a problem.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:00 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
Thanks for this link. I can't even begin to tell you how annoying & pissed off I get with MORONS AND IDIOTS ....
... right, you are absolutely right , and it has nothing to do with cell phones, it's them Morons and Idiots that simply do not know how to drive.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:11 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Mugs, thanks for bringing safe driving to everyone's attention... simulated or un-simulated, orange juice or no orange juice, distraction or no distraction, cell phones or no cell phones, lighting up a cig or changing the radio station, once you get behind the wheel, the focus should be on driving - being aware and alert! Operating a motor vehicle is a privilage, not an office or a time for multi-tasking.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:12 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
There is nothing idiotic about cell phones, it is the way people use them that is idiotic.
This pretty much sums it up.

Actually, it's not the cell phones OR the people. It's the cars. Cars should be banned.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:29 PM   #9
Sous Chef

I don't know about you guys, but on my route home there is no "side of the road" to pull off onto. There's hardly room for the cars to drive. While I can't for the life of me figure out just why so many people are driving and talking, or shopping and talking, or talking in restaurants or stores, but I do occasionally use mine, and I have a Bluetooth device so that I'm not handling a phone while driving. Mind you, I have an 800 minute plan and I probably use no more than 30-60 minutes a month on average, but I like to have it there. I was rear ended (by someone NOT on a phone) and I used it. I had a Dr's office call me while I was grocery shopping on Monday afternoon to last-minute cancel my appointment for this morning, before they closed for the holiday. And I had some rude person butt in as I was talking so I could move out of his way - no doubt someone who has a problem with cell phones, but could not possibly walk around me (and there was room - they were just being an a$$). I am not inconsiderate, but have just about had it up to here with people telling me what I can and cannot do to please them.

On the anti-cell phone front, however, I saw a motorcyclist using a cell phone the other day. It looked pretty tricky.

BC
Old 07-05-2006, 05:40 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
Uh, guys - take a deep intelligence breath here - I (normally as anyone else would) have a problem with using your frickin cell phone on the road. All you need to do is PULL OVER TO THE SIDE OF THE ROAD WHILE USING IT.

I will continue to misunderstand why this is such a problem. And frankly, unless you or your passenger are bleeding to death, I don't understand why this is such a problem.
BC, With all due respect, your posts are too filled with rage, for me. I think one can exchange ideas/feelings here without 'frickin' remarks and bleeding to death. I would be equally concerned about road rage.