Better To Drive Drunk Than On Cell Phone?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mugsy27

Sous Chef
They studied 40 volunteers who used a driving simulator four times — while undistracted, using a handheld cell phone, using a hands-free cell phone and while intoxicated to a 0.08 percent blood-alcohol level — the average legal level of impairment in the United States — after drinking vodka and orange juice. Three study participants rear-ended the simulated car in front of them. All were talking on cellphones and none was drunk, the researchers said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13621877/?GT1=8307

Thanks for this link. I can't even begin to tell you how annoying & pissed off I get with MORONS AND IDIOTS talking on the phone while driving. I mean really, if you have even one working brain cell, how could you not see that this is distractive.

Personally, over the last few years I've lost count of the times I've nearly been broadsided, head-to-head hit, you-get-the-drift, by the CELL PHONE MORONS.

Whether it be on the road, in the parking lot, in the supermarket, whatever - DO THE WORLD A FAVOR & GET ORGANIZED OR GET A LIFE. I'm 50 years old, & somehow I managed to have a fabulous childhood, teenage-hood, & adult-hood without CELL PHONES.

Yes, my husband & I do currently have cellphones. We got them about 4 years ago only because we moved to a rural area & have older vehicles. In the 4 years we've owned them, we've only used them to call AAA or the electric or phone companies when power has been out. I don't need to take "pictures" from my phone. Nor do I need to receIve "text messages" from my favorite TV programs. I personally believe that those that do are "pod people" - LOL!!!!

Frankly, I really don't understand all this cell-phone idiocy. Just something else draining consumer resources for no good reason.

Well now lets know blame the cell phones for peoples idiocity. Cell phones can be a very valuable tool. Like you mentioned Breezy, you used it to call AAA. They also come in handy from numerous other reasons.

We had friends driving to our house for the first time. They got lost. They were able to call us from the car (the passenger called, not the driver) and we were able to direct then to our house. Without the cell phone that probably would have added an extra hour or more onto their trip, not to mention the frustration factor.

I was driving once and saw a drunk driver in front of me. He was weaving all over the place and speeding up and slowing down. It was just a matter of time before he crashed. I was able to use my cell phone to call the police and they got him off the road.

I was in the supermarket and my wife realized we needed something that was not on my list. She was able to call me to have me pick it up instead of waiting for me to get home then sending me out again.

These are just a few of the many many reason that cell phones are a great thing and not.

Oh Breezy, you said you have no need to take a picture on your cell phone. Next time you are in a car accident (hopefully never) a cell phone camera comes in very handy for taking photos of the damage as well as the surrounding area. This can really be useful in court.

There is nothing idiotic about cell phones, it is the way people use them that is idiotic.

This article does not surprise me at all. People who talk on their cell phones while driving are just asking to get into an accident.

I have to say I am with you on this one GB. People should be more careful how they use them, but they very definitely have a place.

When I was in an accident I was able to phone Ken and let him know why I was late and that I was OK. He would have been very worried otherwise as I was working an evening shift that night. Its also been a great comfort to me to have when I am travelling on the highways with just my girls. Good to know help is just a couple of keystrokes away.

Uh, guys - take a deep intelligence breath here - I (normally as anyone else would) have a problem with using your frickin cell phone on the road. All you need to do is PULL OVER TO THE SIDE OF THE ROAD WHILE USING IT.

I will continue to misunderstand why this is such a problem. And frankly, unless you or your passenger are bleeding to death, I don't understand why this is such a problem.

Last edited:
BreezyCooking said:
Thanks for this link. I can't even begin to tell you how annoying & pissed off I get with MORONS AND IDIOTS ....

... right, you are absolutely right , and it has nothing to do with cell phones, it's them Morons and Idiots that simply do not know how to drive.

Mugs, thanks for bringing safe driving to everyone's attention... simulated or un-simulated, orange juice or no orange juice, distraction or no distraction, cell phones or no cell phones, lighting up a cig or changing the radio station, once you get behind the wheel, the focus should be on driving - being aware and alert! Operating a motor vehicle is a privilage, not an office or a time for multi-tasking.

Last edited:
I don't know about you guys, but on my route home there is no "side of the road" to pull off onto. There's hardly room for the cars to drive. While I can't for the life of me figure out just why so many people are driving and talking, or shopping and talking, or talking in restaurants or stores, but I do occasionally use mine, and I have a Bluetooth device so that I'm not handling a phone while driving. Mind you, I have an 800 minute plan and I probably use no more than 30-60 minutes a month on average, but I like to have it there. I was rear ended (by someone NOT on a phone) and I used it. I had a Dr's office call me while I was grocery shopping on Monday afternoon to last-minute cancel my appointment for this morning, before they closed for the holiday. And I had some rude person butt in as I was talking so I could move out of his way - no doubt someone who has a problem with cell phones, but could not possibly walk around me (and there was room - they were just being an a$$). I am not inconsiderate, but have just about had it up to here with people telling me what I can and cannot do to please them.

On the anti-cell phone front, however, I saw a motorcyclist using a cell phone the other day. It looked pretty tricky.

BC

BreezyCooking said:
Uh, guys - take a deep intelligence breath here - I (normally as anyone else would) have a problem with using your frickin cell phone on the road. All you need to do is PULL OVER TO THE SIDE OF THE ROAD WHILE USING IT.

I will continue to misunderstand why this is such a problem. And frankly, unless you or your passenger are bleeding to death, I don't understand why this is such a problem.

BC, With all due respect, your posts are too filled with rage, for me. I think one can exchange ideas/feelings here without 'frickin' remarks and bleeding to death. I would be equally concerned about road rage.

Last edited:
I've seen people going down the road doing all sorts of things, holding a doggie or kitty in their lap, putting on makeup, lighting their cigarettes, yelling at the kids in the back seat, doing all of the above and talking on the phone. Common sense doesn't seem to be a commodity that is used by much of the populace these days. My dh was rear-ended by a girl talking on her phone, but we've been hit by other people before and after phones were in wide use - people just not paying attention to what is important. I keep my phone with me for my convenience and people who call me know I will call back when I get to a safe place to return the call.

Ironchef - was that supposed to be funny?

And BlueCat - How did you manage to survive before cell phones became so popular. I guess you would have died without all the information you were able to gather while you were driving. And able to gather it without endangering other drivers.

Sorry - but I will NEVER EVER condone cell-phone use except for emergencyeis. It's idiocy in its highest form. I mean, good Lord, you can't have a conversation at home with your friends?? You can't figure out what to buy at the store before you leave home??

Someone please tell me how I managed to grow up without a cell phone?? I must have been really deprived.

Last edited:
BreezyCooking said:

And BlueCat - How did you manage to survive before cell phones became so popular. I guess you would have died without all the information you were able to gather while you were driving. And able to gather it without endangering other drivers.

Sorry - but I will NEVER EVER condone cell-phone use except for emergencyeis. It's idiocy in its highest form. I mean, good Lord, you can't have a conversation at home with your friends?? You can't figure out what to buy at the store before you leave home??

Someone please tell me how I managed to grow up without a cell phone?? I must have been really deprived. (You morons.)

Lady, you're out of control!

Mish - I apologize if my comments offended you, but trust me - no road rage here. "Road Rage" is something I definitely am more than opposed to - regardless of the reason. While I never use my cell phone unless my car is out of order, I don't inflict my feelings on other drivers. What would be the point?

If you feel that drivers should be able to chat on the phone while they're driving & put other drivers in jeopardy, that's certainly your right. This is America.

BreezyCooking said:

Someone please tell me how I managed to grow up without a cell phone?? I must have been really deprived.

you are an older person and admitted you are from a rural area...not everyone shares you're same tree of thinking

ive been using cell phones since i was 15 years old and come from an urban area.....im 25 now and still use them

cell phones are not idiotic...that is a a VERY strange comment...just how rural are you?

driving while using a cell phone is dangerous, period....but the rest of the things you are saying are just strange

Mylegsbig - I am 50. And somehow I've managed to live an unbelievably fantastic & wonderful life without the use of a cell phone for the entirety of that life until 2 years ago. Go figure. I only use my cell phone for car/household emergencies. Go figure.

If you can't function without speaking to someone on a telephone every 10 minutes, then, quite frankly, you need to re-examine what's important to you. I managed an entire Manhattan Import/Export company without the use of a cell phone. Go figuire. Duh.

Last edited:
Bottom line re Better to drive drunk than on a cell phone -- either way, you kill someone, and you will be held accountable.

I don't appreciate the 'morons' remark and angry responses to every post, BC. Get a punching bag!

Mish - I NEVER said that it was better to drive drunk than on a cell phone. NEVER. That's a blatant lie. And I never would say such a thing. EVER.

And I won't retract the "moron" statement for those people who feel it's necessary to talk on their cell-phones without pulling over. And that excuse about no place to pull over is ridiculous. At some point - whether you're in city or country - there's a place to pull over.

I briefly hear this story on the news today too. Obviously it's best to pull over when you talk on the phone, or let the passenger answer your phone for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom