"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread
Old 02-01-2007, 10:09 PM   #11
Executive Chef
In this thread, I think it best to just refer to tax companies, rather than a specific one. I would think that DC would not want to pin point any certain company. Just my guess.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:49 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
He is telling about an experience he had. He posted what he thought would be informative to others.

JDP stated he did not want to turn this into a bashing thread and I believe him. And I think the post will be watched to make sure it doesn't turn that way.

We have been watching this thread - and will continue to watch it.

This might fall under the "Discuss Life".

I think with JDP making the statement he did people will follow suit and no bashing will occur. People may tell their experiences I guess. As long as this thread stays civil it is ok so far.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
Old 02-02-2007, 02:03 AM   #13
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to college_cook
If you're a small business owner it's probably a good idea to get yourself a CPA.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:40 AM   #14
Sous Chef
It is possible that these basically seasonal employees are independent contractors and this guy was willing to take less, but still make a little.
They are nowhere NEAR CPAs--you and I could walk in off the street and be "trained" for tax season. And yes, they just plug it into a computer tax program, just like your CPA's firm does. With the latter--and with the tax prep companies--the return is reviewed by a "CPA" of some sort before letting it go out.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:54 AM   #15
Sous Chef
This might fall under the "Discuss Life".

True, although it was "In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes."

I think you're right in that this was just a description of a personal experience -- much like somone complaining about a line of cookware or brand of TV -- and not anything that should be construed as defamatory. Of course, that's a nonlegal opinion, since IANAL.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:10 AM   #16
cpa's lack of expertise

You would be surprised at the lack of tax expertise that even cpa's have. Many of them do not specialize in tax and know very little when it comes to taxes. There are people who are Enrolled Agents. The EA's specialize in tax and that is all that they do. They know much more about taxes than most CPAs. If I remember correctly, only 1/4 of the CPA exam is on taxes. The EA exam is 4 parts long and only is about taxes.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:21 AM   #17
Senior Cook
Send a message via Yahoo to JDP
My reason to make the post was to mearly inform anyone interested that if you do use H & R Block you should go into with the mentality you would use to buy a used car. I don't mind paying a fair price for a service, and when somone is doing my taxes I would like to feel they are on my side making sure I get every tax advantage possible. I don't feel comfortable using a company that is willing to charge an inflated rate unless I question it. The fact that their rep could only give me a rough estimate explaining that it depended on the number of forms she would have to use and then quickly switch to a firm price when she felt that she was losing me threw up a bunch of red flags. This business practice was confirmed when I contacted their main office and they said that indeed their was room for negotiation on their prices , but maybe the 40% was a little excessive. My experience with this one rep at this one outlet and the response I got from their main office left me feeling that they are a shady outfit that will knowingly take advantage of ignorant consumers if given the chance. Just a buyer's beware.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:57 AM   #18
Senior Cook
I think at least one of the tax box software offers audit support... I don't know which one but they have a commerical on tv.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:04 AM   #19
Sous Chef
Actually, I was stating that I didn't want it to turn into a bashing session because of what I was going to post - about them not being CPA's and that anyone can take one of their courses in tax preparation - not because of the original post. I did, however, want to add that little bit about criticizing one's livelihood, because, as I said, I'm a government worker, and get quite sick of all government workers being looked on as lazy. I thought, by naming this company, we could potentially be doing something similar with someone who worked for Block.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:24 AM   #20
Senior Cook
Send a message via Yahoo to JDP
My taxes are done.. it cost $15.00 at taxact.com. Both Fed and state, e-filed and I should have my refund in 8-16 days. It took 2 hours but I saved upwards $385 if I had used H&R. It was very simple even working throught the Schedule C for personal businesses.

Closed Thread