"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 03:13 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to JDP
Beware H&R Block Ripoff!!!

I wanted to make everyone aware of what just happened to me at an H&R Block office. Normally I do my own taxes but in 2006 my wife started a cleaning business and we had income and expenses and I wanted to make sure it was reported correctly. I asked the rep for an estimate of charges prior to going ahead. She came up with a total of $374 as a rough estimate. I thought it sounded high and she stated that she "had some wiggle room". I told her I planned on no more than $200.00 and she immediately dropped the price to a firm $225 without looking at what I had. That's a 40% discount which is outrageous. If anyone is using them do not accept the price they quote you!!! I will be trying to figure out the schedule C on my own and deal with the IRS if there is a mistake. I will never go back to H&R Block.

JDP

Old 02-01-2007, 05:04 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Wow! That is not right! I'm glad you got it to be what you wanted. Good luck on taxes!

Old 02-01-2007, 05:41 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelemarie
Wow! That is not right! I'm glad you got it to be what you wanted. Good luck on taxes!
No it's not. They take advantage of the middle class people who don't have a full time CPA and just want their taxes done. With the tax codes so confusing many people feel overwhelmed and are so affraid of the IRS they look to companies like HR Block with trust, not knowing that they have a 40% and probably more wiggle room in the prices they are charging you.

JDP
Old 02-01-2007, 06:13 PM   #4
Sous Chef

I can pretty much guarantee that these people don't have a CPA either, so don't think you're getting the benefit of that kind of schooling when you go to places like that. H & R Block has a 4 or 6 week tax preparer's course that anyone can take to qualify them to prepare returns. I've worked for tax accountants who would take their courses each year just to brush up on new tax laws, and then they would use the knowledge in their own tax preparation businesses.

BC

PS - I'm editing to say, however, that I really don't want to turn this into a H & R Block bashing session. I'm not sure I agree that we should criticize any one business by name here. Who knows where we all work. I work for the federal government, and I work pretty darned hard, and I hate it when people make lazy government worker cracks.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:23 PM   #5
DC's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCat[COLOR=#0000ff
I work for the federal government, and I work pretty darned hard, and I hate it when people make lazy government worker cracks.[/COLOR]
Amen to that. BC. I spent thirty years in federal service and resented the **** out of those remarks.
Buck
Old 02-01-2007, 06:40 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I used H&R for years but I think their fee's are just too high, so I switched to another company this year who's fee's were much lower and my return was higher.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:12 PM   #7
Senior Cook

BC

PS - I'm editing to say, however, that I really don't want to turn this into a H & R Block bashing session.

BC it can be a bashing thread or at the very least in informing thread about this company's practices. I looked at this company similar as I would a retail store. Color me stupid if you feel I'm just naive. When you go into a store there is a set price for an item. If you go into a place that offers service such as an oil change, hair salon or baraber, there is a specific charge for a service. You don't go to your barber and he/she tells you your haircut is $30.00 but if your complain they charge you $18.00. If I hadn't asked for a estimate before we started they would have charged me over $400 because they had some additional forms. This place is crooked and it should be put under the spotlight. I called thier corporate office and they told that there room for negotiation on their prices but 40% seemed a bit much. When I go in to buy a car I am prepared to negotiate but when I went to get my taxes done I wasn't in that mind set. If this is the case they should advertise that you come on in and negotiate your best tax prep deal... or we will beat anyone's price. This place is a scam!!!

JDP
Old 02-01-2007, 08:18 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I've heard many tax places use the same on-line tax programs that most of would at home. We buy it every year, costs about $25.00CDN. If your taxes are fairly straight forward, I'd recommend it. Just a thought.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:55 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loprraine
I've heard many tax places use the same on-line tax programs that most of would at home. We buy it every year, costs about $25.00CDN. If your taxes are fairly straight forward, I'd recommend it. Just a thought.
This is true here as well, however, you dont get audit support should you make an error on your own taxes if you do them yourself, whereas with other businesses, you do get that additional insurance. (assuming you have given correct information to your tax preparer that is).
Old 02-01-2007, 10:36 PM   #10
Sous Chef

I'm not sure I agree that we should criticize any one business by name here.

I'd be curious as to what the admins think about such anecdotal criticism. It could open up quite the can o' worms.