"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-01-2005, 11:29 PM   #1
Master Chef

Beware the Waffle Toppin!

I got a brand-new belgian waffle iron for my birthday. So of course you know what I was making for breakfast this morning. But my plans were changed.

My eldest daughter and her hubby came over to make me breakfast today. We all agreed on belgian waffles. She didn't know how to make the yeast waffle batter so I helped her out. The batter was so light and fluffy and we anticipated incredible waffles. We weren't dissapointed. The waffle iron worked great, and much faster than the previous one.

We seperated out some of the batter for my DW as she loves her waffles topped with butter and syrup. Jessie (my daugher), and I decided to try making a savory breakfast waffle. Her husband agreed to try it also. So we added a bit of garlic powder, onion, and just a touch of thyme to the batter. The waffles came out very good.

Now the plan was to make a topping of various peppers, both hot and mild, with onions and celery thrown into the mix, along with scrambled eggs, and all topped with a mild cheese sauce.

The sauce was made as a standard white sauce (very creamy and smooth) with extra sharp cheddar and Parmesano Regiano finely grated, them blended in. A touch of black pepper rounded out the flavor and the sauce was great.

The peppers included green bell, banana, oversized jalepino (just starting to turn red), and some Hungarian Finger peppers. Now you have to understand, I use Tobasco sauce like ketchup. It just isn't hot to me. And I've been eating pickled hot peppers for many years. I've even taken on some of the "hottest sauce ever made" products and withstood them just fine (well let's not talk about the effects of Jamaican Hellfire Sauce, red variety. The stuff is truly wicked!). All in all, I know my way around most peppers.

So we chopped and minced, and sweated veggies in a frying pan. We cooked scrambled eggs to that just-right consistancy and got ready to plate the waffels with the toppings. We blessed the food and I sat down. Jessie dished me up a waffle with a bottom layer of eggs, followed by the pepper mixture and finally that yummy cheese sauce. It looked truly scrumptious. I noticed a single chunk of diced jalepino sitting beside the waffle. I picked it up with my fork and munched it. It was warm, but pleasantly so.

Three bites into the waffle and the heat hit me like a ton of bricks. My lips began to heat up and my tongue was on fire. I even felt the heat on the roof of my mouth, where the hard pallate turns into the soft pallate.

Like I said previously, I like hot peppers. They usually give me this warm, almost hot feeling in my mouth. But this mixture was verging on pain. Two large glasses of ice-cold milk, and ten minutes later, my nerves had calmed themselves and were firing modestly into my brain. I finished my meal and didn't get that heat again. The remainder of breakfast was very good. Of course, to add insult to injury, the other side of the digestive tract felt the peppers later in the day. Was wishing I'd eaten some ice cream to cool everything down.

Those couldn't have been jalepenos. But man were they hot. And I'd tried little bits of the other peppers while cutting them up, so I know they were fairly tame by comparison.

Once I got past the heat, the meal was very good and I'd recomend savory waffles to everyone.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 08:04 AM   #2
Head Chef

I hope they weren't Guatemalan Insanity peppers!!!(Simpsons reference)

Old 10-02-2005, 08:14 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Remember, when it comes to peppers, due the varieties of soil, peppers will vary in heat from field to field, and sometimes, plant to plant within the same field.

My heat tolerance isn't as good as it used to be. I used to go through Tabasco like there was no tomorrow. It almost tastes sweet to me. I really like the Tabasco Habanero, will all the fruit pastes as well as the hot stuff. Many people are blown away when they try a raw, fresh, jalapeno, as compared to the ones that are pickled. The pickling process causes the peppers to loose a lot of their fire.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:43 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Hiya Goodweed.

Happy Happy (again) to you

I'm not a fan of hot and spicy, but I have a few different recipes/ideas for the wafflemaker. If you're interested, give me a wave.

Belgian waffles are a favorite here. Brings back warm memories of eating my first at the Worlds' Fair, when I was a kid in New Yawk. We were in the Belgiam Village (as I recall), and I had the bestest huge warm (soft with just the right amount of crispiness) waffle with strawberries, powdered sugar and whipped cream. It was Waffle Heaven.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:37 PM   #5
Master Chef

I'm pretty handy with a waffle iron. But sen the recipes along. I'm always looking for something new and different. And if you wish, we can maybe exchange a few recipes.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 07:46 PM   #6
Head Chef

Goodweed, is a waffle iron different than a waffle maker? (The ones that are electric?? i.e. Sunbeam, etc)
Old 10-03-2005, 08:14 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Hiya Good.

I don't have a wafflemaker, but after I read your post, reminded me of a few things to share. On Food TV there was a show about a place in New York that had waffle cones (wrapped in paper) with just about any filling you can imagine - ice cream, & toppings, etc. Maybe apples and whipped cream. All kindss of goodies. You could eat it there or have it to go and walk around holding the cone while munching. Wish I could remember the fillings, but sure we could probably come up with ideas. Wonder if it could work, removing the waffle while warm and wrapping it around something cylindrical?

Another thought - Waffle bowls! Maybe they could be cut in half and cooled over an inverted bowl? Then fill waffles with ice cream and make sundaes. Or a waffle ice cream sammich & roll the ice cream part in chocolate chips. There's a couple more, I'll go look in my file and try to find. Don't want to lose this post.

It's always fun to play with a new cooking toy.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:31 PM   #8
Executive Chef

If you make mini-burger appetizers and can't find the small buns, the waffle-bread is a cute idea. One slice will make about enough for two burger buns.

A Waffle-Wich (sandwich)
Use the waffles as you would bread for a sammich and fill with ham, cheese, sliced apple and pancake syrup.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:12 PM   #9
Cook

Send a message via ICQ to ArticKatt Send a message via MSN to ArticKatt Send a message via Yahoo to ArticKatt
yummmm but for people that don't have a waffle maker there is always the Oven pancake. I make them all the time they are a huge favorite here. I have not made a savory one but am thinking that bacon and fried onion would be a nice change.