Bifocals :|

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skittle68

Sous Chef
Just got my first pair of bifocals yesterday. Surprisingly I feel like I've already adjusted pretty well. My problem is that with all the reading I do for school, my eyes get tired from all the looking downward! Do you really get used to that? I've never looked down to read. I have always tilted my head down or brought the book up to eye level. I'm not sure I can do this!!

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Can't offer any advice on bifocals but if you wear or have worn contacts, you can investigate mono-vision contacts, which can replace having to resort to bifocal glasses.

I've been wearing the mono-vision lenses for a long time, at least 10 years, and love them. They may not work if you have severe astigmatism but I'd still look into them. I'm nearly 70 and have always had extremely poor vision but, as of now, no bifocals.

Skittle, you could use a dedicated pair of reading glasses for periods when you'll be doing a lot of reading and switch to the bifocals the rest of the time.

Like Katie, I wore Mono Vision contacts for many years. Bifocal glasses never did it for me and I hated wearing the glasses for so many reasons. Mono Vision can be a bit of a adjustment, but the younger you are, the easier it will be.

I've now had cataract surgery on both eyes and they were done with Mono Vision. I love I now don't have to fool with, or have the expense of contacts anymore. It's the only perk I can think of for growing older. lol

Last edited:
Skittle, from what you say, I would say you've adjusted pretty well! Congrats! yes, it will still take some getting used to thou.

I've just had my 72nd b'day and am still getting used to my bi's of 2 years. While I'm being examined my perifial vision is excellent but in reality the glass frames create a barrier that inhibits awareness. I smack my head on cupboards, I turn and whack things with my hands. When I am in a precarious place, such as a ladder or top of staircase, I must slow down and talk to myself saying... it could be days before someone finds your stinkin' body and the poor animals will be very hungry!

I agree with Andy. Get separate glasses as well. A pair for reading/sewing/cooking/etc. and a pair for driving/tv/walking.. Wear the appropriate glasses when needed and then use the bi's for when it is a constant change of focus. Such as a little bit of this and then a little bit of that, etc...

Well, having options sounds great, but I'm a full time student and my insurance won't pay for two pair. That's the main reason they were able to talk me into it. I've never worn contacts, not sure if I would like them, and they are more expensive than the copay for one pair of glasses.

If I can't get used to them I'm hoping they will let me return them and just get reading glasses. I need reading glasses more than anything else. I was worried I wouldn't like having to look down to read, but the sales lady said she would place them a little higher than usual, and convinced me it would be ok.

Well, having options sounds great, but I'm a full time student and my insurance won't pay for two pair.
Like most oldsters I need reading glasses. The cheap ones from drugstores, warehouse clubs, etc. work for me. I picked up a 4 pack from a warehouse club for under $20. I have two different sets - one for arms length reading (computer or dinner prep) and another for closer reading. I have them laying around the house, in the car, and the bike bag.

I wear trifocals now. Yes, you do get used to them. Provided they've been made correctly (my first pair wasn't!), your eyes will eventually adjust to look through the right lens when performing certain activities.

For me, one of the most difficult things was learning to walk down a flight of stairs while wearing glasses. As soon as I would look down through the reading part of the glasses, everything would go blurry. So now, I just sort of look underneath them.

Last edited:
Like most oldsters I need reading glasses. The cheap ones from drugstores, warehouse clubs, etc. work for me. I picked up a 4 pack from a warehouse club for under $20. I have two different sets - one for arms length reading (computer or dinner prep) and another for closer reading. I have them laying around the house, in the car, and the bike bag.

Unfortunately the prescription for my two eyes is drastically different. I've thought about buying two pairs of the cheap ones with the two different prescriptions and seeing if I can pop out the lenses and swap them lol.

I wear trifocals now. Yes, you do get used to them. Provided they've been made correctly (my first pair wasn't!), your eyes will eventually adjust to look through the right lens when performing certain activities.

For me, one of the most difficult things was learning to walk down a flight of stairs while wearing glasses. As soon as I would look down through the reading part of the glasses, everything would go blurry. So now, I just sort of look underneath them.

How do I know if they aren't made right or if I'm just having trouble adjusting to looking down? I feel like I have to look down way too far to see through the lower lens.

I was given about a month to try mine. My first pair were progressive. They told me it could take up to and over 2 weeks to get used to. I never did get used to them and I returned them at 3 weeks. Got good ol' bifocals. No charge for the switch.

With your different eyes, that is a problem. I thought about that too! I do sport shooting and wanted one eye for the target and the other eye for the sight. LOL it didn't work!

Back to returning them. Get in touch with them right away. Tell them you are having a problem but are willing to try them for a little longer. If after that time you still want to change them - will they do it?

Unfortunately the prescription for my two eyes is drastically different. I've thought about buying two pairs of the cheap ones with the two different prescriptions and seeing if I can pop out the lenses and swap them lol.

I can relate. I have the same situation. You'd think one of my eyes belonged to someone else, but the mono-vision lenses have worked for years. However, it might have to do with the skills of the doctor. Mine is fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom