Big makeover at McDonald's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I so fondly remember the absolute joy of my parents treating us kids to a McDonald's lunch back when there was only a handfull of them around nationwide. Only things served were hamburgers ($.05 each), cheeseburgers ($.10 each), fries, coffee, & I believe, chocolate & vanilla shakes. That was IT for the menu - lol!! Burgers came wrapped in paper - fries too, if memory serves me correctly. No indoor seating - this was eat-in-your-car fare.

My mom never learned to drive & dad didn't get home from work until after 7:30 p.m., so weekends were when all the grocery shopping, errands, etc., got done. Back then, no stores - even grocery stores - weren't open much past 6 p.m. So we always looked forward to weekends because chances were good we'd be having lunch "out" - a real treat for little kids (even tho both my parents are great cooks - lol!).

When I was growing up there was really no fast food and what little there was wasn't available in my rural area. As a result I never developed a taste or desire for it.

However, having said that, the one treat Buck and I always enjoyed was an Egg McMuffin whenever we left early in the morning on any of our road trips. The McMuffin was the signal to us that we were about to "escape" and have some fun on a vacation.

Otherwise, I can't comment of McDonald's fare because we have eaten very little of it.

I third that.

Speaking of old times, remember the drive in burger joints with the car hops on skates?

AC

Yes. And, up until about 5 years ago, there was one still in operation about 24 miles from me. My brother and I kept saying we were going to go for lunch but never got there. The place is no longer open and we missed our chance.

We had the restaurant joints with car-hops, but never on skates, and they always closed when the snow began to fall. Then came Big Boy, with the same kind of food, but open all year because of indoor seating. Now that was something special to us. We didn't get a McDonald's in my home town until the eighties, and that was for me, a source of pride. I still avoid McDonalds as the food is substandard to me. It just doesn't compare with the burgers I got at 60's and 70's A&W stands, or especially Cyde's Drive-In, with the famous Big C, a 3/4 lb. burger topped with oozing Velveeta and made with fresh hamburger. The fries were made fresh, from whole spuds, and the strawberry shakes and malts, well it was enough to drive a teen-age boy to desperation. The only thing better than Clyde's was eating at the West Pier Drive-In, with their incredible cold-cut sub (no chain sub shops around back then), and the one bar-hop that worked there, well we all went just because she was there, let alone the great burgers, subs, and fries. West Pier is still a local favorite around here. They still make the same sub, using the same recipe. But sadly, the butcher shops that supplied the cold cuts used are long gone. And the quality is no longer available. But for what is available, it's still a dynamite sub. You will occasionally talk to a summer tourist who makes it a point to hit Sault Ste. Marie just because of that submarine sandwich. It has its place in culinary history.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom