"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-16-2009, 09:25 AM   #31
Executive Chef

Thanks David and please don't apologise. The amount of happy and sad notices that I have been late for or missed entirely over the year and a bit I have been with DC don't bear thinking about! And I am trying to keep my oar in here. There is still so much to do for mum's estate and I am doing most of it on my own, but without the luxury of making my own decisions - I have to consult with my brother at the very least which hems me in somewhat. I am trying to get things done but they are slow coaches!! LOL

ITK - my "our" cat is Tammy. She is the daughter of my second ever cat, and the only one left of the litter. She is 22 years old now, and has recently developed the habit of just sitting by the fridge waiting for me to show up! She is rather partial to raw mince. I generally indulge her as any enthusiasm for anything should be encouraged at her age. Also keeps her eyesight working - which is failing - as she has to follow the meat from my hand to the ground, provided she knows it is happening as she is deaf and doesn't know when you tell her to look. Tammy got her name from an Enid Blyton book; the wild man of the woods was named Tamalyn, which is really Tammy's name. Always thought Tammy and I would go first though. Go figure.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:47 PM   #32
Executive Chef

We have Similar family! I can so much relate to your dilemma, having one 'our' cat and also have younger ones too! Tammy needs more time, but so worth it. People should be more understanding of their elderly relatives. My dog has been keeping me up at night. He seems to be so hot and it is still chilly outside. Therefore, we sacrifice our comfort and turn the heat off so he can rest. As for food, if I wouldn't continually watch him when he eats young ones would take away from him. Can't even see no more and no hearing. Walks around perimeter of yard to get from one place to the next. But even though he 'waddles' w/arthritis he is inspiration to the rest of us. Makes us feel ashamed that we have mouths to grumble. He has hair but only around shoulders and rear end, middle completely bare. This life seems like struggling the older we get. Old age is not for sissies. Art Linkletter said that and he is STILL around. His mind is still okay too. However, he really doesn't complain when he is on tv. I am sure your mom would have known him.

About your family, brother, when my mom left I did not question her things that were left. In my mind, I had the best part anyway which was the relationship we had together. To get involved with my sister is a fate worse than regular torture. She is more materialistic than I am. As they say, can't take it with you when you leave this world. I am sorry this is left for you to take care of. Just take your time and when the heartache comes allow for it to happen. This is all part of healing.

I do thank you for your time to write about Tammy. i just am so happy she 'waits' for you. She is special and being 22 makes her even more so. Watch her closely as she has much wisdom to share with you. She understands your pain. She is here for special reason.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:03 PM   #33
Master Chef

I've seen it posted before that once a person passes beyond mortality, that they are in peace, but the heartache is just beginning for those lleft behind. I take a different approach to death. My Mother, Father, and Step-Father have all passed away. I was there for all of them at the end. I loved them dearly in life, but truly believe there is life after death. And with that belief, I know that I will see them again, and that this seperation is temporary. It still saddens me at times when I can't see them, or talk to them. But then again, I am the guy who is left as the eldest of the family. It's my responsibility to be there for my siblings, my children, and my 6 month grandaughter, not to mention those yet to come. They will be sad when I pass from mortality, but also know that we will be together again after they move on as well. There will be a reunion of family, and joy will reign when we are again together. In the meantime, I will hold down the fort for my family.

I do not despair at the loss of those who went before me. I rejoice that they are in a better place than I am, and that one day, I too will be there. For me, mortal life is just one facet of life, and a small one when compared with forever. I just hope that I learn as much as I can from this part of that life, and can share my time with my family, and learn from them, and teach them, and love them as much as any person can. They are my life, before mortality, during, and after.

You have not lost your mother. She's setting a place for you at a different dinner table, awaiting that wonderful reunion that is to come.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:36 PM   #34
Executive Chef

ITK - I always try to spend some "quality" time with Tammy but she doesn't always want my company anymore - just my food!! I worked out the other day that if I tried to spend half an hour with each cat per day, I would lose (or probably I should say am losing!) 6 1/2 hours every day on them! And that excludes any feeding or clearing up - just the loving attention bit. No wonder I am permanently tired!! LOL

Goodweed - thanks for your support.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:33 PM   #35
Certified Cake Maniac

Goodweed, that is so wonderfully put and how I see it as well.

Bilby, I have two dogs. Yes, just two. If I gave them all the attention they DEMAND, I would have about 1/2 hour out of 24 left and that would be taken up by feeding them and letting them in and out! How you do it with all your kitties is an amazement to me. But I am sure they are a wonderful comfort!

It is always good to see you online! Be well my friend.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:25 AM   #36
Executive Chef

Ha ha Laurie! If I gave all of them all of the attention they demand, (1) they wouldn't all get attention as I have a few hoggers (!!) and (2) I wouldn't move off the couch!!! Rationing is in force in my house. Thankfully I only have to throw food for the birds and not pet them or I may as well just give up movement!! LOL