"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-06-2009, 08:24 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Unhappy Bilby's mother

Just wantd to let all my DC friends know that my mother passed away this morning (2:15am Perth daylight saving time). I had been sleeping at the hospital for a week or so and was there for her last breath. Been busy today arranging the funeral and phoning as many of her friends as I could remember the names of. Cremation is next Friday. I am glad she is gone now as she was in so much agony at the end. I had to argue with a nurse last night to give her an extra dose of pain relief before they turned her. Neither my brother nor I wanted her to wake up and be distressed so we have tried to make sure she was heavily medicated once she decided she had enough (Tuesday). Luckily my youngest aunt was with me so when I just double-checked with her for her opinion, the nurse relented. She said she was concerned that the extra dose may have pushed her over but it wouldn't have mattered if it had as she was so near death anyway, it would have been a mercy. (It didn't by the way. She died several hours after the dose would have worn off.) My brother returned to the country on Wednesday so we made arrangements sort of together over the phone with the funeral director sitting with me and my (another) aunt and uncle.

Mum and I were very close and her passing leaves a very large hole in my life. I am fine but I am very sad if I allow myself to dwell on it, ... so I try not to!

I will try to check in a bit more often once life settles down again but I have a house to sort out over the next few months ... actually two - hers and mine! Mine has been in a state of neglect every since she got sick. I figured there was all the time in the world to clean but not so to be with mum.

Take care all. Bilby (Penny)

Old 03-06-2009, 08:50 AM   #2
Master Chef

Dear Penny,
My deepest sympathies on the loss of your mother. I lost my mother in '88 and was by her side when she passed.
(((Hugs)))
Diane

Old 03-06-2009, 08:55 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

I am so sorry for your loss.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:08 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I'm sorry to learn of your mother's death, Penny. I'm glad she is at peace. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:11 AM   #5
Master Chef

My mom passed away nearly 6 years ago after a good fight with cancer. Reading your post took me right back there. I know the feeling of relief that's it over and there is no more pain for your mom, but your pain is just starting. I still cry every now and then when I think of her. I'll pray for you and your family. It is always difficult to lose someone you are close to and losing Mom is hardest of all. May you continue to find the strength to face the days ahead.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:13 AM   #6
Everymom

I'm so sorry about your Mum. I know its been an awful little while for you. I hope you can find some peace now.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:19 AM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

I am so sorry for your loss. You are in my thoughts.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:55 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Sorry to hear this. Thinking of you.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:58 AM   #9
Master Chef

[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[bilby]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
Old 03-06-2009, 12:49 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
{{{{{{{Penny}}}}}}}

You are in my thoughts and prayers. You make my heart ache talking about it. You know you did all the right things - she IS very proud of you. Take a few moments and remember all the wonderful times. Yes, life is different, but, manageable. We are all here if you need "let it out!"

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote