Bird Bath

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
If you're thinking of a bird bath for your yard that is a two piece set, think long and hard. WE had one in our yard til this evening..We were all out eating and relaxing watching the babies play, when my son yelled at Carson who is 17 months..Mr dare devil had climed the steps to a large wooden swing and slide set, I went running over to get him, turned around just in time to see Ethan who was 2 in may grab the edge of the bird bath, lift his feet and say look ma Ethan swing, just then the water in the bath splashed into his face, we all yelled, he let go, turned started to run and that 80 lb top to the bird bath landed on his back..He is OKAY but let me tell you we now DO NOT have a bird bath...I don't think I've ever been so frightened in my life..We like all parents and grandparents try to always have an eye on the kids, but this was just as if we were caught in a whirlwind..I am totally, so tired that I can't even stretch out to rest. Wanted to share this with you so that if you might be thinking of putting something like this in your yard, you won't have the bejeebers scared out of you as we did..Just writing this to all of you has my tummy in knots. On that note, and a sigh of relief, I'm going to try to relax.:)

kadesma

thanks for the tip kads.

it's amazing how you have to watch them every second. my son has begun to try to climb the tv stand to put in his dvds. the whole thing almost went over, so now it's been anchored to the wall.

when my next oldest sister and i were young, we tried to sleep in the drawers of a tall dresser, like we saw them do on the "little rascals".
my sis climbed in a bottom drawer, then i started to climb into an upper drawer when it came down. fortunately, the top of it caught the bed and we didn't get crushed.
of course, we chose the dresser with the goldfish tank on top.

we were rushing to pick up flopping fish and bits of glass as my mom came running in to see about the big thump she heard from upstairs.

i won't tell you what we used to do to our dog petey...

buckytom said:
thanks for the tip kads.

it's amazing how you have to watch them every second. my son has begun to try to climb the tv stand to put in his dvds. the whole thing almost went over, so now it's been anchored to the wall.

when my next oldest sister and i were young, we tried to sleep in the drawers of a tall dresser, like we saw them do on the "little rascals".
my sis climbed in a bottom drawer, then i started to climb into an upper drawer when it came down. fortunately, the top of it caught the bed and we didn't get crushed.
of course, we chose the dresser with the goldfish tank on top.

we were rushing to pick up flopping fish and bits of glass as my mom came running in to see about the big thump she heard from upstairs.

i won't tell you what we used to do to our dog petey...
Bucky,
reading your post, made me smile last night and eased some of the tension..Thanks and I know kids will be kids so I'm going to be extra careful from now on..
kadesma:)

corazon90 said:
Glad to hear Ethan is alright! I'm sure your heart just stopped when you saw the birdbath hit him. Hugs to you and your Ethan. Get some rest.
Cora,
Yes, I felt like I couldn't breath I was so afraid...Ethan is fine and up and busy this morning. I just called and talked to his mommy. I hit that bed last night and just was asleep in seconds..Kids do it to ya all the time:)
Thanks Cora, hugs to the boys.

kadesma

Dear me CJ.. I sometimes think "ma's" like you ought to have more lives than cats to survive all those heartstopping, bloodcurdling moments...

I am so glad that Ethan is okay... hugs to you and him, and let me take an advantage of this moment to hug Cade, Carson and Olivia as well:)

urmaniac13 said:
Dear me CJ.. I sometimes think "ma's" like you ought to have more lives than cats to survive all those heartstopping, bloodcurdling moments...

I am so glad that Ethan is okay... hugs to you and him, and let me take an advantage of this moment to hug Cade, Carson and Olivia as well:)
There are times Licia, when I feel like sitting down and bawling like a baby.I'm one of those people who are fine when something happens and, then we have to get things undercontrol, when all is over I go off by myself and just fall to pieces.Once I've had a good cry, I'm fine. It was hard to believe but there wasn't even a red mark on Ethan's back!! Of course he got a grass burn on the tip of his nose when he fell forward..I think the worse damage was to the adults :)
I'll see the kids later today and will pass on the hugs, Cade will grin like the dickens,as I've shown his your picture and at almost 6 he has an eye for the pretty young ladies:) Thanks Licia..

cj

Constance said:
Oh my dear! It makes me shake just thinking about it.
Thank heavens le bebe is allright!
Hi Connie,
I did a bit of that myself last night. I almost didn't say anything, but, I really think those bird baths are not safe for little kids...
Ethan is fine this morning and wants to come to Ma's and spend the night again:LOL: I might go see him, I'm not ready for another night on the floor with Ethan and the dogs:ROFLMAO:

kadesma

Glad he is ok today. We have a little 2 yr old daredevil also, Charlie. DS had to put chain locks on all outside doors to keep him in. If Charlie had been first, they wouldn't have given us the girls for sure.

You are the worlds bestest grandma!
Sorry you had a scare but thank goodness everyone is all good and happy!

pdswife said:
You are the worlds bestest grandma!
Sorry you had a scare but thank goodness everyone is all good and happy!
Thanks Pds,
I sure didn't feel like a very good Ma yesteday. We all survived and the little one is up and into everything today:LOL: But at least it's his mommy who is chasing him today and not me:-p

kadesma

HOLY COW CJ!!! I'm shaking just thinking about that! I am just like you, deal with the crisis then collapse later. Thank God everyone came out of that ordeal OK. Guardian angels for sure! Hugs to you!

Alix said:
HOLY COW CJ!!! I'm shaking just thinking about that! I am just like you, deal with the crisis then collapse later. Thank God everyone came out of that ordeal OK. Guardian angels for sure! Hugs to you!
Thanks Alix,
it was awful to have to stand there and watch it happen and know you couldn't get there in time. Ethan was lucky the worst he got was a grass burn on the tip of his nose and I think the water hitting him in the face too his breath away and scared him more than his being hurt. All the same, the bird bath is gone...I wanted others to know the possible danger to small children these things pose.
cj

Wow... sooo glad he's alright, they should put a warning on the box or something. I think I'll stary with just watching my birds play in puddles...

Trip said:
Wow... sooo glad he's alright, they should put a warning on the box or something. I think I'll stary with just watching my birds play in puddles...
Thanks Trip,
we have several water troughs for the cattle and horses so the birds can use those just as they always have..I don't need a bird bath in the yard.
kadesma

:ohmy: oh, kades!!!!! how scary! I'm so glad Ethan is OK...maybe when they're all teenagers you can have a birdbath again - but THEN you have to worry about them driving :wacko: It never ends.....(((hug)))

callie said:
:ohmy: oh, kades!!!!! how scary! I'm so glad Ethan is OK...maybe when they're all teenagers you can have a birdbath again - but THEN you have to worry about them driving :wacko: It never ends.....(((hug)))
Thanks Callie,
He is fine today, just scared yesterday, kids have no fear and they just don't realize what could happen when they do things. Ethan has been pulling what Cade did at 2 and that was to grab the edge of my counter in the kitchen, lift his feet and swing back and forth, calling me to watch Ma!! The counter doesn't give so any edge will do for a kid..Now I have the magic word to deal with "CAR" yoikes I'll never make it:LOL:

kadesma

licia said:
Glad he is ok today. We have a little 2 yr old daredevil also, Charlie. DS had to put chain locks on all outside doors to keep him in. If Charlie had been first, they wouldn't have given us the girls for sure.
Thanks licia,
aren't they great at giving you white hair:LOL: My oldest was the same as Charlie, we had to put chains on the doors to keep him in too. Little dickens loved to be outside if we were in and inside if we were out:LOL: What is it with little boys and climbing,swinging and running round the block?

kadesma:)

Back
Top Bottom