"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-04-2006, 02:05 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Bird Bath

If you're thinking of a bird bath for your yard that is a two piece set, think long and hard. WE had one in our yard til this evening..We were all out eating and relaxing watching the babies play, when my son yelled at Carson who is 17 months..Mr dare devil had climed the steps to a large wooden swing and slide set, I went running over to get him, turned around just in time to see Ethan who was 2 in may grab the edge of the bird bath, lift his feet and say look ma Ethan swing, just then the water in the bath splashed into his face, we all yelled, he let go, turned started to run and that 80 lb top to the bird bath landed on his back..He is OKAY but let me tell you we now DO NOT have a bird bath...I don't think I've ever been so frightened in my life..We like all parents and grandparents try to always have an eye on the kids, but this was just as if we were caught in a whirlwind..I am totally, so tired that I can't even stretch out to rest. Wanted to share this with you so that if you might be thinking of putting something like this in your yard, you won't have the bejeebers scared out of you as we did..Just writing this to all of you has my tummy in knots. On that note, and a sigh of relief, I'm going to try to relax.

kadesma

Old 09-04-2006, 02:18 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks for the tip kads.

it's amazing how you have to watch them every second. my son has begun to try to climb the tv stand to put in his dvds. the whole thing almost went over, so now it's been anchored to the wall.

when my next oldest sister and i were young, we tried to sleep in the drawers of a tall dresser, like we saw them do on the "little rascals".
my sis climbed in a bottom drawer, then i started to climb into an upper drawer when it came down. fortunately, the top of it caught the bed and we didn't get crushed.
of course, we chose the dresser with the goldfish tank on top.

we were rushing to pick up flopping fish and bits of glass as my mom came running in to see about the big thump she heard from upstairs.

i won't tell you what we used to do to our dog petey...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 03:38 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Glad to hear Ethan is alright! I'm sure your heart just stopped when you saw the birdbath hit him. Hugs to you and your Ethan. Get some rest.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:25 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
thanks for the tip kads.

it's amazing how you have to watch them every second. my son has begun to try to climb the tv stand to put in his dvds. the whole thing almost went over, so now it's been anchored to the wall.

when my next oldest sister and i were young, we tried to sleep in the drawers of a tall dresser, like we saw them do on the "little rascals".
my sis climbed in a bottom drawer, then i started to climb into an upper drawer when it came down. fortunately, the top of it caught the bed and we didn't get crushed.
of course, we chose the dresser with the goldfish tank on top.

we were rushing to pick up flopping fish and bits of glass as my mom came running in to see about the big thump she heard from upstairs.

i won't tell you what we used to do to our dog petey...
Bucky,
reading your post, made me smile last night and eased some of the tension..Thanks and I know kids will be kids so I'm going to be extra careful from now on..
kadesma
Old 09-04-2006, 11:28 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon90
Glad to hear Ethan is alright! I'm sure your heart just stopped when you saw the birdbath hit him. Hugs to you and your Ethan. Get some rest.
Cora,
Yes, I felt like I couldn't breath I was so afraid...Ethan is fine and up and busy this morning. I just called and talked to his mommy. I hit that bed last night and just was asleep in seconds..Kids do it to ya all the time
Thanks Cora, hugs to the boys.

kadesma
Old 09-04-2006, 11:32 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Dear me CJ.. I sometimes think "ma's" like you ought to have more lives than cats to survive all those heartstopping, bloodcurdling moments...

I am so glad that Ethan is okay... hugs to you and him, and let me take an advantage of this moment to hug Cade, Carson and Olivia as well
Old 09-04-2006, 11:54 AM   #7
Master Chef

Oh my dear! It makes me shake just thinking about it.
Thank heavens le bebe is allright!
Old 09-04-2006, 12:10 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
Dear me CJ.. I sometimes think "ma's" like you ought to have more lives than cats to survive all those heartstopping, bloodcurdling moments...

I am so glad that Ethan is okay... hugs to you and him, and let me take an advantage of this moment to hug Cade, Carson and Olivia as well
There are times Licia, when I feel like sitting down and bawling like a baby.I'm one of those people who are fine when something happens and, then we have to get things undercontrol, when all is over I go off by myself and just fall to pieces.Once I've had a good cry, I'm fine. It was hard to believe but there wasn't even a red mark on Ethan's back!! Of course he got a grass burn on the tip of his nose when he fell forward..I think the worse damage was to the adults
I'll see the kids later today and will pass on the hugs, Cade will grin like the dickens,as I've shown his your picture and at almost 6 he has an eye for the pretty young ladies Thanks Licia..

cj
Old 09-04-2006, 12:12 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
Oh my dear! It makes me shake just thinking about it.
Thank heavens le bebe is allright!
Hi Connie,
I did a bit of that myself last night. I almost didn't say anything, but, I really think those bird baths are not safe for little kids...
Ethan is fine this morning and wants to come to Ma's and spend the night again I might go see him, I'm not ready for another night on the floor with Ethan and the dogs

kadesma
Old 09-04-2006, 12:17 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Glad he is ok today. We have a little 2 yr old daredevil also, Charlie. DS had to put chain locks on all outside doors to keep him in. If Charlie had been first, they wouldn't have given us the girls for sure.