"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-12-2006, 12:56 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Bird in the bedroom

One very bad thing about retrievers is...they retrieve. Ok, we had a dead squirrel a few weeks ago and now one of them has brought a small bird in my bedroom.

Obviously the bird has a hurt wing but can run like the dickens. I've been trying to catch it for quite awhile but it runs quickly under all the furniture, when I get close.

I've been trying to toss a towel over it to no avail. The poor thing is terrified.

Ok, I will eventually catch this bird but what do I do with it then? Somehow I don't think animal control will pick it up and nurse it back to health.

One of my dogs kills the animals she catches but the sweet one just likes to play with then...having no idea that she's hurting it.

Old 10-12-2006, 12:58 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Gosh! I don't know what to tell you. But, if Tweety goes to the great big nest in the sky, how many do you think it would feed? Silly me. My bad.

Old 10-12-2006, 01:00 PM   #3
Everymom

Got a hamster cage or anything like that? I'd put it in there to recover and then set it free later.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:04 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Katie !!! You are sooo bad!

Alix, can you set a bird's wing? He's not dragging it but it looks lopsided.

I just told mr hb that I need help catching it since it runs under the bed - one side to the other. I've gotten my exercise today. And boy, rolling around on the floor, I see I need to vacuum. It looks great when I'm standing up.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:06 PM   #5
Senior Cook

my golden gets our paper every morning for us and for some reason
on the weekend brings ours to us and then the neighbor's to us
Old 10-12-2006, 01:08 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Rickell, years and years ago we taught our Lab to bring the paper for my ex's birthday present. He hated going out in the cold morning.

The day of the birthday, we let the dog out, had the ex wait in the foyer, opened the door and there were 15 sunday newspapers there.

Fortunately it was early so the boys just guessed who got which paper and distributed them in the cul de sac before anyone woke up.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:25 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Bird Sanctuary

We have a bird sanctuary that I call on for help. I feel so sorry for it. Especially since it has pain. I would just take it to someone you think might help it. They may be able to nurse back to getting strong. I hope so. I wish you good luck whatever you do. Never dull moment when you have animals around. At least, you want to help them. Someone else may try to kill it.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:33 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Our cat used to bring in mice, sometimes he'd finish them off, other times he'd get bored and they'd get a chance to escape. One night he tried to get the mouse back, but it climbed into Bob's shoe. 3:30 am and the clumping of the shoe and the squealing of the mouse kept us awake for a while. Somewhere I've got a picture of the cat sound asleep after playing with a mouse - who's sitting not a foot from him trying to catch his breath!
Old 10-12-2006, 02:05 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Oh HW! You'll have to post that pic whenever you get unpacked. I bet that could win a prize.

I am going to look up bird sanctuaries on the internet. I could keep it in a box with bird food and water until tomorrow. It just breaks my heart.