"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-07-2009, 06:34 AM   #11
Executive Chef

I'm the firstborn of 4. I've always felt like most of the child work fell on my shoulders. I'm 2 1/2 years older than my sister, but she was always a tom boy and doing outside stuff. By the time I left home I was doing more cooking than my mom was. She was a good cook but part of the time she was working so I'd have dinner ready for all of them when she and my dad came home from work. Neither of my next two sisters knew anything about cooking when they left home. I'm not sure how they managed that. I have two first borns - our daughter is 7 years older than our son so they are both quite independent and both of them were taught to take care of themselves before they left home. They could cook most anything, take care of their clothes, pick up after themselves. I believe it is important to teach children that they should be able to carry on for themselves.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:35 AM   #12
Executive Chef

I'm the youngest of seven. All seven of us love to cook.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:25 AM   #13
Sous Chef

I am eldest of three sisters and we all can cook (people like our cooking).

Unlike many Indian girls we learn cooking very late. Our dad and mom used to tell us that our study is the most important. Once my mom told us,"cooking is very easy and spontaneous, if you really love someone then you can easily prepare food for him or her, and in this way you will learn how to cook by trial and error method"
radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:08 AM   #14
Everymom

Youngest of 6 here. The way the gaps worked in our family though its almost like I am an only child. There are 9 years between me and the closest sib. (Yes I know I know I was the "mistake" LOL!!!)
Old 06-07-2009, 01:03 PM   #15
Senior Cook

I'm the second born (daughter) of five. Although I have an older sister, I have many of the traits of a first born. Go figure! Of the 5 of us, I'm the most dedicated and interested cook. Actually that's not saying much, because the others are pretty indifferent to cooking. Well, one brother is pretty self sufficient in the kitchen, or in his case, the galley.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:55 PM   #16
Master Chef

I am the eldest of four girls. We're what I consider a well-spaced family, pretty much three years apart, with my youngest sis younger than that, 13 years younger than I. I do think that, as the eldest, I did start to assume responsibility earlier than my sisters did. That isn't a bad thing; I still, at age 54, love to cook. But I did leave home right after high school, with no regrets, ready to take on the world, a characteristic I don't see so often in younger sibs (mine or those of my friends, or children of my friends)(my next younger sister did leave home at 18 as well, but I don't think she wanted to). After 20 years of living nowhere near my family, seeing them every year or three, my husband and I decided to live near them (at this time I was pushing 40). It was interesting to see them all on a day-to-day basis for the years we lived there. I think that birth order definitely affected how we've learned to live. I'm proud of all my sisters, but I do think I benefitted from knowing I needed to make my own way in life at a fairly early age.

A part of the difference between my sisters and me is that my father was still in the military when I turned 18, and we were living in military quarters. I don't know what the rules are now, but in those days if you weren't in college, you had to be out of quarters within a year of high school graduation. College wasn't a realistic option, so I enlisted myself and moved on. My next younger sister got caught in a similar catch 22. College wasn't much for her, either, and my father retired and was moving, so she had to decide, pronto, whether to leave home or leave high school boyfriend/fiancee. I feel that both of us made precipitous decisions based on this. My younger sisters didn't have these pressures ... but who's to know? I'm happy with my life, and have been for the most part, but yes, I do believe that oldest children, middles, and youngest face very different challenges. And yes, I believe eldest are much, much more independent. I never say never or always; of course there are zillions of exceptions. But the eldest children, middles, youngest and onlies who I've met, do have some similar characterics.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:30 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Youngest of 6 here. The way the gaps worked in our family though its almost like I am an only child. There are 9 years between me and the closest sib. (Yes I know I know I was the "mistake" LOL!!!)

Alix, I'm sure you aren't a mistake. I have a niece who has 5 children - 3 boys and 2 girls. The last a little girl has been such a joy to the entire family and has the sweetest personality (all the kids do). She homeschools all of them and the little one likes her paper and crayons when the others are doing their work. She just turned 1 year old.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:32 PM   #18
Everymom

licia thanks! I feel very loved in my family. The story is we are ALL mistakes so I don't feel alone.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:37 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
licia thanks! I feel very loved in my family. The story is we are ALL mistakes so I don't feel alone.

Though it was always denied, I've always assumed I was a mistake. My sister is 9 years older than I am and both parents were in their 40s when I was born.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:01 PM   #20
Everymom

Andy the stories are pretty funny, but not what I could share on the open boards. I'll catch up with you later. LOL.