Birthday Party Ideas.....HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShellBob65

Assistant Cook
Okay, I'm normally pretty creative, but after having done a combined total of about 20 different birthday party themes between my kids, I am now bored of all my ideas. :-p

Anybody got any ideas of what I theme I can do for my son's 9th birthday party? It's going to be a sleepover of about 5 boys and is coming up in a couple of weeks. :blink: :w00t2:

Last year, we did a Fiesta with a build-your-own-taco bar, sombreros, maracas, cactus drink stirrers, personalized t-shirts, and a pinata, among other things.

I'm open to any suggestions....well, other than Fiestas!!

Uncle Bob has a good idea, especially since Labor Day will be here just before your son's birthday. Take the opportunity to do something end-of-the-summer-like and make it all about red, white and blue.

You live where the weather is fine for outdoor cooking/activities. Play things up with the food and have water balloon baseball just to be silly. Fill a wheelbarrow full of water balloons and take it from there. It's goofy enough that a 9-year-old should love it.

How about a make your own "whatever" party. Kind of like iron chef (but with craft items) where you have say 30 seconds to grab what you want from a pile of stuff to build your own creation? This would involve creativity on your part as well when you make your purchase.

Or maybe a build your own model car or motorcycle party? Age appropriate models of course.

have you done a survivor theme yet? they could do obstacle courses, and imitation gross out eating competitions. they can build a shelter to sleep in, in the backyard. and grill their own dinners (with supervision). make ground beef "rats" and put on a stick, or skewer teryaki chicken tenders and just tell them it's rat.

several 2x4's, branches, and blankets could be used for the shelters, and for the eating competitions, they would be blinfolded and made to eat eyeballs (peeled grapes), or cockroaches (boiled shell-on shrimp), or stuff like that.

How about a Christmas theme?

Done in the summer it might be fun.

have you done a survivor theme yet? they could do obstacle courses, and imitation gross out eating competitions. they can build a shelter to sleep in, in the backyard. and grill their own dinners (with supervision). make ground beef "rats" and put on a stick, or skewer teryaki chicken tenders and just tell them it's rat.

several 2x4's, branches, and blankets could be used for the shelters, and for the eating competitions, they would be blinfolded and made to eat eyeballs (peeled grapes), or cockroaches (boiled shell-on shrimp), or stuff like that.

Your boy is going to love his birthday parties!!!!!

I LOVE the Iron Chef craft idea too!

:)What is your boy into Harry Potter? Or something else, build around that and let us know we may have some great ideas to go along.

These are all great ideas (well, except for the whole "Grove" thing, Uncle Bob...as I think I'd be the main course being fired up on the grill :pig:....)

My son is currently into Shrek the Third, Ben 10, Yu-Gi-Oh, and (God Help Me), he still likes SpongeHead....I mean, Bob. :wacko: I prefer to do something that is not one of those "canned" birthday parties that are so pervasive.

He's not big on cake, so I know already that we'll have a build-your-own ice cream thing with a giant cookie.

We can't really do a backyard campout kind of thing, as we live on a very busy corner in a house with no fence in the yard, until we can get our house built out at the family farm....can't really do it there either, as that would put the burden on my in-laws, who live in the old farmhouse.

He's been relatively little help so far, as he's not the overly-creative type, hehe....

Since it's the end of summer, how about a beach/ocean/Jaws theme? Anything involving water & sea creatures (preferably at the beach or a pool). If it's indoors, put up pics of sharks, mermaids, clams, sea shells. Have a biggest bubble blowing contest. Put raffia or grass skirts around the party table. Serve fish-y types of foods - tuna casserole, crabby patties, goldfish crackers, tuna and cheese dogs. (Shape the tuna mixture into a hot dog/log shape serve in a hot dog bun.) The gifts could be put in a treasure chest. Or - how about a pirate party? Rent Jaws.

Here are some party/game ideas:

Sponge Bob Party

Last edited:
You can find all kinds of ideas for party themes and supplies here:

Boy Themes

I've ordered from this company many times, and they're always prompt with deliveries. The prices are good, too.

Last edited:
Same here, Katie.

ShellBob, I think the boys will have fun making their own ice cream concoctions.
Have you thought about letting them build their own pizzas? You can get the crusts made ahead of time, get an assortment of ingredients together, and let them go for it. Or if you're really brave, you can give each boy a ball of pizza dough and let them shape their own. You can put 2 or 3 per baking sheet (they don't have to be round), so you shouldn't have any problems getting 5 in your oven.

I had girls, but I raised one grandson, and have another, the same age as your boy, who spends a lot of time with us. At that age, they're sort of between little boys and big boys. They still like Sponge Bob (so do I), but they're getting more into sports and adventure.

Constance, I have actually suggested the pizza thing...Pizza and Beer (Root)!! He was underwhelmed, lol. He told me that pizza would be fine, but root beer is "blech".

Amy, I've also suggested the beach theme, but I do like the whole shark idea....Jaws would scare the pants off them, but I'd get a kick out of it!! Love the tuna dogs idea! I'll have to suggest this stuff to him and get his take on it.

And yes, I love Oriental Trading Co....I've been using them for years, too. They've always got good stuff, and I got a ton of stuff from them last year for the Fiesta Party, so I'll be using them again.

Y'all are giving me some great suggestions, thanks!

I've done a lot of boy's birthday parties and by far, the most popular was the haunted house/Halloween/vampire one. Do up a room or the garage like a haunted house with creepy music and fake spider webs. Have some tubes of fake blood and plastic vampire teeth for the boys to make themselves up with. Be sure to have a camera so that you can get pics for all the boys to have later. I also made cupcakes decorated with black icing spiders and bats. You can make small sandwiches cut out in the shape of bats using cookie cutters. Then maybe set up a TV with a cheesy zombie dvd for them to watch. (The older ones are pretty tame - not too graphic in the gore department). You can also have video games set up to play. Also, get some dry ice so that you'll have "fog" for most of the evening. They love it anytime of the year!

...Amy, I've also suggested the beach theme, but I do like the whole shark idea....Jaws would scare the pants off them, but I'd get a kick out of it!! Love the tuna dogs idea! I'll have to suggest this stuff to him and get his take on it....Y'all are giving me some great suggestions, thanks!

I see what you mean re Jaws. Perhaps any video relating to the ocean/sea that's fun for kids. Along the lines of ocean/sea/beach theme (& some just for fun kid food)...

Chicken (or fish sticks) in a sleeping bag. Serve w mac 'n cheese or french fries?:
http://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/showrecipe.aspx?rid=13902

Silly Chili Dogs on a hamburger bun - (like an octopus?). Serve w french fries or potato salad?:
http://www.hormel.com/kitchen/recipe.asp?id=866

Sloppy Dogs
http://www.fbnr.com/Recipes/430/9903051430.htm

Tuna Star Fish
http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/tuna-starfish-recipe.htm

Here are the tuna 'n cheese dogs
http://www.fbnr.com/Recipes/090/9910901090.htm

Jello jigglers - Use blue jello & cut out star shapes.

Grilled banana splits (in banana boats). You could put a toothpick flag in each boat.

You could cut paper plates in clam shapes, (punch a hole through the bottom) and either suspend them w clear thread (from a fabric store) on the ceiling - with painters tape -- or staple two clam-shaped plates together to serve the food.

For an ocean bubble-look - tie clear ballons w transparent thread, and tie them to the back of chairs (at staggered heights).

Buy a bag of assorted sea shells and scatter them on the table. You can probably find most of the supplies mentioned at a 99 cent store.

Have a great party. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom