"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-25-2007, 05:53 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Cool Birthday Party Ideas.....HELP!

Okay, I'm normally pretty creative, but after having done a combined total of about 20 different birthday party themes between my kids, I am now bored of all my ideas.

Anybody got any ideas of what I theme I can do for my son's 9th birthday party? It's going to be a sleepover of about 5 boys and is coming up in a couple of weeks.

Last year, we did a Fiesta with a build-your-own-taco bar, sombreros, maracas, cactus drink stirrers, personalized t-shirts, and a pinata, among other things.

I'm open to any suggestions....well, other than Fiestas!!

Old 08-25-2007, 07:31 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

How about a Tail-Gate party in "The Grove" <joke>

How about something "Patriotic"....

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 07:41 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Uncle Bob has a good idea, especially since Labor Day will be here just before your son's birthday. Take the opportunity to do something end-of-the-summer-like and make it all about red, white and blue.

You live where the weather is fine for outdoor cooking/activities. Play things up with the food and have water balloon baseball just to be silly. Fill a wheelbarrow full of water balloons and take it from there. It's goofy enough that a 9-year-old should love it.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:44 PM   #4
Executive Chef

How about a make your own "whatever" party. Kind of like iron chef (but with craft items) where you have say 30 seconds to grab what you want from a pile of stuff to build your own creation? This would involve creativity on your part as well when you make your purchase.

Or maybe a build your own model car or motorcycle party? Age appropriate models of course.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:21 PM   #5
Head Chef

Pitch tents and build a campfire!
Old 08-25-2007, 09:32 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

have you done a survivor theme yet? they could do obstacle courses, and imitation gross out eating competitions. they can build a shelter to sleep in, in the backyard. and grill their own dinners (with supervision). make ground beef "rats" and put on a stick, or skewer teryaki chicken tenders and just tell them it's rat.

several 2x4's, branches, and blankets could be used for the shelters, and for the eating competitions, they would be blinfolded and made to eat eyeballs (peeled grapes), or cockroaches (boiled shell-on shrimp), or stuff like that.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 09:39 PM   #7
Head Chef

How about a Christmas theme?

Done in the summer it might be fun.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:52 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
have you done a survivor theme yet? they could do obstacle courses, and imitation gross out eating competitions. they can build a shelter to sleep in, in the backyard. and grill their own dinners (with supervision). make ground beef "rats" and put on a stick, or skewer teryaki chicken tenders and just tell them it's rat.

several 2x4's, branches, and blankets could be used for the shelters, and for the eating competitions, they would be blinfolded and made to eat eyeballs (peeled grapes), or cockroaches (boiled shell-on shrimp), or stuff like that.
Your boy is going to love his birthday parties!!!!!

I LOVE the Iron Chef craft idea too!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 10:12 PM   #9
Executive Chef

What is your boy into Harry Potter? Or something else, build around that and let us know we may have some great ideas to go along.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:33 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

These are all great ideas (well, except for the whole "Grove" thing, Uncle Bob...as I think I'd be the main course being fired up on the grill ....)

My son is currently into Shrek the Third, Ben 10, Yu-Gi-Oh, and (God Help Me), he still likes SpongeHead....I mean, Bob. I prefer to do something that is not one of those "canned" birthday parties that are so pervasive.

He's not big on cake, so I know already that we'll have a build-your-own ice cream thing with a giant cookie.

We can't really do a backyard campout kind of thing, as we live on a very busy corner in a house with no fence in the yard, until we can get our house built out at the family farm....can't really do it there either, as that would put the burden on my in-laws, who live in the old farmhouse.

He's been relatively little help so far, as he's not the overly-creative type, hehe....